“A wonderful place - don't miss it” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #54 of 105 things to do in Funchal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A wonderful place - don't miss it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Well worth the visit even though few orchids were flowering at this time as Patrick was so helpful and informative. Had tea and lovely cake on the terrace overlooking Funchal. Purchased an orchid with advice from Patrick and we hope this will be a lasting reminder of our visit to Madeira. Thanks also for the beautiful strelitzia.

Visited November 2012

Romney Marsh, Kent
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“stunning place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Do choose your time of year to visit. However we visited last week and it was stunning, for the setting if nothing else. The orchids, and other plants, that were in flower etc were amazing. I have never seen anything like then before and I was completely unaware until now that some orchids were scented. We were fortunate as it was very quiet, therefore we ended up with an almost personal tour by one of the chap's there and it was fascinating and extremely informative not only on the orchids but the other plants there as well. I was also interested in a particular orchid that a forebear of mine had developed and not only did they have the orchid but when I was chatting to the owner afterwards she said that her father had visited my great-great grandfather numerous times and had been given this particular variety by my forebear; It was just so amazing, I had a sense of history and the past almost reaching me (very melodramatic I know). Do wear long sleeves and trousers though if mozzies like you, as mozzies like me and I was eaten alive there; my husband was completely unscathed with not a bite.....most annoying.

Visited October 2012
Maroochydore, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wonderful flowers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Do pick the time of year you go as a lot were not in flower. The Jade Vine was though and it is worth the visit. Lovely views.

Visited July 2012
Lytham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Holiday 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Absolutlely wonderful!
Not only have the Garton's the most wonderful and vast orchid garden, should be visited. We had a wonderful holiday there. Advertised is the RHS Magazine, is a cottage within the gardens, with it's own private garden. We had a week there and have booked to go back next year. The cottage is very reasonably priced, very well equipped (even down to Sat. T.V. including U.K) and comfortable. Patrick and his mother, the estate housekeeper Serena are extremely hospitable and accommodating, and arrange transfers, taxis etc with known reliable people. Not for families and for night life, but quiet, for 'chilling-out' couples who enjoy good accommodation and good scenery. Taxis to town and No. 32 bus back recommended, but well worth the few euros or so. Relatively undiscovered, this is a GEM!

Visited May 2012
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Do not go here if you do not love orchids! The selection of orchids, some varieties of which are for sale, is simply astounding, and some of them are beautifully scented. The dazzling array includes the "jade vine", which is worth the visit in itself.

As the name implies, the grounds have superb views over the city of Funchal.

Visited March 2012