Our first impression of the area leading to the hotel was disappointing. Having dropped off other guests at different hotels on the way from the airport these were all very nice - pretty shops, cafes, gardens, etc. However the approach to the Pestana Bay was gloomy and not a very salubrious area. No pretty walks, no shops, a couple of cafes on the front promenade, which is not easily accessible due to works being carried out. To compensate for this there was a regular courtesy bus into Funchal. It is right on the not very attractive beach - grey stones and grey sand. Now to the good bits. The hotel itself is lovely - attractive dining areas, inside and out, beautiful swimming pool with plentiful sitting areas. There is also a small attractive garden along the beach side. All the rooms face the sea and are very clean and comfortable, well-equipped bathrooms with lovely big towels. We were on a full-board package, and as we are vegetarians the choice of meals (buffet-style) was rather limited, but the food was plentiful and of good quality. The staff were very helpful and at times provided us with a vegetarian option when there was nothing for us in the buffet. As for the drinks - WOW! Wines, liqueurs, soft drinks, all unlimited and included in the price! But nobody got drunk!! When the building work on the beach is finished this would be an ideal place for families with children, due to its beach-front position.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Agoda and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Pestana Ocean Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Ocean Aparthotel Funchal
- Pestana Bay Hotel Madeira
- Pestana Ocean Bay Hotel Madeira/Funchal