After reading through a few reviews me & my husband decided on this hotel, (for one week) also part of our deal with our travel agent was a private taxi transfer from (and back to) the airport, makes a huge difference to us.
On arrival our suitcases were taken and after checking in, our cases were taken to our allocated room, we booked a side sea-view room and have to say the room was extremely comfortable and very spacious and the view lovely as we looked out onto the hotel's garden and the sea.
While there we were celebrating our anniversary and my husbands birthday, we were sent flowers and card for our anniversary and a cake and card for my husbands birthday, which was a very nice touch.
We also received complimentary bottled water and fruit for 3 days, which unfortunately we did not know was complimentary until they stopped delivering this and we were not told until we enquired about it....we thought it was a standard service from the hotel, but you have to join their membership (free) to receive this AFTER staying?? it would have been so much nicer as part of the hotels service and not be "forced" to return to a Porto Bay hotel to receive this service.
All the staff were exceptionally friendly and always approachable, we did encounter one grumpy waiter one morning at breakfast but we were served again on another day by him and he was much more pleasant....maybe he'd had a bad day previous?
The pool on first level was absolutely lovely and heated and went from indoors to outdoors and vice versa...so nice.
We didn't try the pool at sea level but looked just as lovely and clean, for the adventurous type you can also have a swim in the sea within a cordoned area.
One little grumble and be warned....we had bought 2 half lager shandy's in some of the town etc restaurants and usually paid somewhere about 3 or 4 euros for both....BUT one day we decided to have 2 lager shandy's in the hotel and paid 10 euros !! OMG! this really is disgusting cost, should be looked into!
We had a litre of sangria with our dinner most evenings and this was only 13 euro's! However, meals were gorgeous and the buffet (which we had) was really lovely and the hotel had a different theme every night so you always had something different to try, we decided on the flexi dine, so only had 3 nights of dinner but it was so nice we treated ourselves to an extra night dining at the hotel.
Overall the hotel is beautiful and spotlessly clean and staff superb.
Even though on the expensive side we would come back to this hotel every time as you do feel that bit spoiled here and why not?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal