My partner and I stayed at the Cliff Bay hotel in August 2013 for a week. We had a fantastic week and I would highly recommend this lovely hotel to anyone who loves scenic views, relaxing by well-maintained pools and getting away from it all.
The food served in their restaurants was of a very high standard. We upgraded to stay on the 7th floor and had a stunning sea view - the best view we have ever had in a hotel. It also allowed us to have breakfast in a small raised garden terrace with stunning views of the garden and an a la carte ordering service.
With a hotel this amazing it always makes certain niggling things seem worse than they are - we had 2 (minor) criticisms.
The first relates to customer service. The hotel has a vast number of staff, and while most are fantastic and friendly (the pool staff were extremely helpful, welcoming and accommodating, the breakfast staff were lovely and the staff welcoming us at the door were warm and kind) some are letting the side down. Certain reception staff and one or two staff working at the poolside restaurant are quite cold and some definitely need to be more polite - we did speak to a manager about this I hope our comments will be acted upon.
Second minor criticism - the price of drinks at the pool/ poolside restaurant are really excessive. Whilst my partner and I were prepared to spend money in top-quality restaurants in the evening, I think around 5 euros for a bottle of bottle at the pool is crazy!
Overall, we would definitely stay in this hotel again. I really hope that the management read these reviews and respond to the feedback of guests as if the minor problems were sorted out I think this could be one of the very best hotels in the world!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Escapio, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal