Just got back from a lovely weeks break at this hotel. From checking in till check out the stay was fantastic. Our room was one of the Junior Suites with a separate bedroom that's off the living area. Very big, comfy separate beds but joined together. Fantastic views over the sea and of Funchal harbour. I was pleasantly surprised to find we had free WiFi in the hotel room, all over the hotel and even by the pool which is something you very rarely get. The room was spacious with a lovely bathroom with 2 sinks, a separate toilet cubicle, bath and walk in shower. The safe and air con in our room was provided free of charge. Also, because we were in a Junior Suite we had free soft drinks and water during the stay and champagne on arrival waiting in our room which was lovely.
This hotel is in a great location with about a 15 min walk into Funchal town. There are plenty of shops, restaurants and bars outside the hotel within walking distance.
The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, they opened doors for you and take your luggage to your room.
The Rose Garden was where we went for breakfast and there was plenty of choice ranging from cooked breakfast, to cereals to fruit and bread. You can help yourself to as much as you want. We never ate in the hotel in the evenings as we like to go out and explore different restaurants.
The hotel has 2 pools, 1 indoor that has an outside section which is a pleasant temperature and one which you gown down in a lift too (down the cliff side) which is a salt water pool and is larger in size and has a children's area. Both pools have lots of sun beds available and access to bars to get food and drinks from. Towels are also provided and you get these from near the Spa reception.
There is nothing I can fault with this hotel and I recommend it if you are looking for a nice hotel in Funchal that isn't too far away from all amenities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Venere so you can book your The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal