I have just returned from our summer holiday in this beautiful hotel. The Cliff Bay is practically perfect in every way! The hotel and it's grounds are immaculate and picture perfect, you can always find a quiet place just to sit and relax, with stunning views of Funchal harbour to look at..especially at night when the lights of Funchal twinkle and sparkle as if in a storybook!
That sounds really soppy but honestly it is a magical place.
The staff are all courteous and professional, every single member of staff always greet you with a smile.
Now for the food..... Wow ! The breakfasts are absolutely delicious, we always ate outside in the rose garden over looking the sea, a fantastic start to the day! So much to choose from, with a glass of fizz to wash it down if you fancy it!
I only have one small gripe about this hotel and that is that they charge far too much for drinks and snacks . It just seems a little greedy to charge for example 5euros50 for a small local beer where outside at high quality eating establishments you can buy the same beer for 1euro90!!....surely by anyone's standards this is an unreasonable mark up! We would have loved to have sat in the bar during the evening and have a drink but felt that this was a bit of a rip off!
There are lots of lovely restaurants near to the hotel of which we tried quite a few...however the best by far is l'osteria. Have written a separate review for this lovely restaurant.
All in all I would 100percent recommend The Cliff Bay Hotel for a totally relaxing holiday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Tingo, Hotels.com, Escapio, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal