We were really in need of a break and the Cliff Bay was ideal. We particularly loved the salt water (not sea water) pool which was a joy to swim in. Although the hotel was busy at breakfast time and so presumably quite full, there were always spaces to be found around either pool or in some of the hideaway spaces overlooking the sea.
We also loved the spa and wellness areas. Again these were quiet and on two successive afternoons we had the suite to ourselves, with only one other couple there on another occasion. Beware though of German guests who tend to ignore the “no nudity” signs!
We were on a summer package booked directly with the hotel, to include three buffet evening meals and return taxi transfers from the airport. The breakfasts were wonderful, our favourite ever with so much fresh fruit, breads, pastries and hot/cold foods that it was a serious challenge to try everything even over a week’s stay. The evening buffets were also good and we chose the Seafood, Portuguese and Italian nights to use our three vouchers with the Portuguese probably being the one we enjoyed most.
What really stood out for us was the hotel staff. Everyone was pleasant and couldn’t do enough to help. There was a hiccup on arrival where reception did not realise we had three dinners included and again at check out where the transfer costs were added to the bill, but both were sorted out quickly. I would say though that something was wrong in the admin department for this to have happened.
Our sea view room was very comfortable and I don’t think we have ever had a bigger bed – some eight feet wide and large enough to lose each other in.
As a result of us enjoying the hotel facilities so much, we did not get out to see as much of Madeira as we might have done, although we did use the free hotel shuttle a few times. We will probably return to see more of the island and would be very happy to return to the Cliff Bay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Escapio and Tingo so you can book your The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal