We stayed in the Cliff Bay for a week between 21st and 28th January. It is a five-star hotel sitting just above the Bay of Funchal. Most of the rooms have stunning sea views. Do make sure you book a room overlooking the sea. Our room (a standard sea-view room with terrace) was extremely spacious. Apart from the huge bed, there was a sofa; armchair; coffee table and sideboard and there was loads of space to move around. The room had all the facilities you would expect from a top quality hotel including his and hers bathroom basins and a walk-in shower.
The terrace overlooked Funchal and its port and as mentioned above, the view was stunning.
The hotel's gardens, around which you could eat/drink if you wished made it feel as if you were in a botanic garden.
Apart from the usual sauna/gym facilities, there is a very nice inside/outside pool. Down at sea level (reached by the hotel's beach lift) is a huge outdoor pool.
Everything at the hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff were all very helpful and friendly.
We had the included breakfasts in the main restaurant. The choice and quality of food was first class.
It is about a twenty-five minute walk from the hotel into the centre of Funchal (allow 30 minutes for walking back as it is partly uphill). However the hotel runs a free shuttle bus seven times a day. You do need to book it with reception and at certain times/days (particularly Friday - market day) it does fill up. Alternatively the local yellow buses are frequent and cheap. Even taxis are pretty reasonable.
In summary, we can't recommend this hotel highly enough and will definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal