This is our second visit to The Cliff Bay. In my opinion it is Madeira's best kept secret. Speak to any of the local taxi drivers or businesses, and they will tell you this is the one and only place to stay when visiting Madeira.
Never mind the fancy smancy well known names, this place is a must do, and should be on everyone's "bucket list".
It never fails to relax you and leave you with the warm, comfortable, snugly feeling deep inside.
The food is incredible, half board is a must, or book bed & breakfast and buy discounted meal vouchers for 3 or 5 meals in the restaurant when you get there, but you must eat here, its divine.
The staff at The Cliff Bay are very welcoming and want you to enjoy your stay, they want you to return, as most of their customers do, time and time again.
The rooms are out of this world, nearly all have a sea view, we paid slightly more this year for a view of the harbour to watch the fireworks on New Years Eve and to watch the cruise ships, but even the rose garden/sea view rooms are breathtaking.(these rooms get the afternoon sun, the bay view rooms get the morning sun).
Ask about a free guided tour of the hotel, spa or kitchen, no area is off limits, they are proud of their 'product'.
The staff here allow each and every guest to enjoy their own small piece of heaven for the time they are a hotel guest.
As we drove away for the airport we both shed a tear. The Island, the people and The Cliff Bay, a perfect recipe, trust me, get it booked.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Atlantic Ocean stretches as far as the eye can see at the foot of The Cliff Bay which is perched on the top of a natural promontory. The hotel is surrounded by gardens with innumerable secluded corners and centenary palm trees extending to the very edge of the cliff face. The panorama is completed by a magnificent view over the bay of Funchal to the left of the hotel.The most influential restaurant guide in the world, the Michelin Guide, has awarded a star to Il Gallo d'Oro, The Cliff Bay's gourmet restaurant run by Chef Benoît Sinthon. This is Madeira's first and only star ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Priceline, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Escapio, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliff Bay - Porto Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Porto Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Funchal
- Cliff Bay Hotel Madeira
- The Cliff Bay (Porto Bay) Madeira/Funchal