“Nothing Like Five Star” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Madeira Regency Palace

Save Saved
You added Madeira Regency Palace to your Saves list
Madeira Regency Palace
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Estrada Monumental 275, Funchal, Madeira 9000-250, Portugal   |
Ranked #47 of 91 hotels in Funchal
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Nothing Like Five Star”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Other reviews have said "tired", well I'd say "exhausted" in places. The whole interior, particularly the public areas, looks like it could do with an overhaul.
Decor cheap-looking and sometimes tacky, chairs old and faded ... take a walk around Reids, that's five star too. But proper five star: the Madeira Regency Palace looks just about a three star.
Much of the problem was with Thomas Cook: "close to town centre" means an hour's walk or a ride on a courtesy bus (one every hour) with a surly (but not rude) driver, which you have to book in advance because there are only eight seats. Shame if you miss it on the way back (no we didn't, but saw others who had, and couldn't get on the next one).
We were quoted internet access in the rooms but you actually have to sit out in the lobby where the "public" access is available.
We booked a suite, which was actually a double room divided into two by a partition wall, making both rooms very small.
Beds were unbelievably hard, which they tried to rectify with a huge (almost as hard) foam cover that was much too big for the bed, but we took it because that's all they had.
Some towels were theadbare at the edges, there were no bath robes, and the "shower" was a hand attachment which wouldn't stay in its holder on the wall.
We were also told that the hotel is directly on the sea: in fact there are buildings behind the hotel which obscure the sea view, and you need to find your way to a lift at the edge of the grounds to make the long descent down to the (very rocky) beach. But I guess they can't help the rocks ...
OK, what about the restaurant ? Food was batch-cooked for the buffet and was on the whole very mediocre, sometimes undercooked from frozen, with an occasional option of disgusting sludge. Chairs strained at their overloaded joints: they had suffered for too long (I guess it's the "all you can eat" which turns people into gluttons). The music was usually overpowering and very distracting. Lots of Russian guests with unfriendly faces talking in load voices. Couples only hotel ? That's what we were told but there were a few families with overtired kids in the evening, not terrible, but they shouldn't say one thing and do another. Or was this just Thomas Cook again ?
This was a much needed "rest" holiday: I had no energy to kick off about it all, though we made our point at times, but we quickly got to the point where we were just laughing at the dreadfulness of it all. We spent our days in Funchal and sometimes ate out in the evening.
No, it wasn't all bad (oh, really?) The breakfasts were surprisingly good (we didn't risk a lunch though) and, as you would expect with a Portugese resort, the staff were hard working, eager to please, and utterly lovable. It's a shame they have to work here.
Would we go again ? Oh, come on ...

Room Tip: Swap your "suite" for a double room with full sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here in July 2012 it was my birthday and my wife's in the same week and I found this hotel to be lovely. The staff were great they even opened the car museum with the classic car collection belonging to the owner for us on my birthday with my wife's request for free.
The reception is grand and magnificent the rooms are great with lovely big beds and yes I do agree that there a little worn and the tv is not a plasma and the bath suite is not swish but this is how it should be the Mediterranean culture simple old but with character. Breakfast is fine beautiful and fresh well stocked enjoyed it very much. Not far from Funchal centre just a bus ride away BUT my one and only gripe is the drivers of the shuttle buses there rude and act as If there doing you a favour forgetting that we payed to stay here its not free. Pools are nice and clean and the sea view rooms are beautiful it really is a fantastic hotel. We got a massage answer which was 60€ it was nice nothing amazing.

Room Tip: 501 great view from here panoramic balcony
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rustington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just got back yesterday room spacious but very tired looking.For the high price no tea coffee making facilities,late check out offered in guest information but when we asked were told no even though hotel was only one third full.Carpets in corridors worn and stained.I would expect a five star hotel to offer more choice than one restaurant especially when dinner every night is a Buffett.Happy hour only once a week on a Friday,maybe if this was offered every night the bar would be a little more used to create more atmosphere.It also states on the hotels web site that it has a lift with direct access to the beach,but to get to this lift you have to go down two ramps and three steep flights of steps not easy except for the very fit.This didn't feel like a five star hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room in the same wing as the restaurant or else it is a long walk and the use of two lifts.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the regency palace. We were a little apprehensive following the reviews we read on trip advisor. But we have to say we were pleasantly surprised. We do agree that the carpets do need either deep cleaning or replacing , but the rest of the hotel was very good . The facilities were of a good standard , gardens were loverly well kept,.The room cleaner were loverly,towels changed every day , beds made for us every day , nothing too much trouble. We stayed in a 1 bedroom sleeps 4 appartment, very roomy light and airy, nice little balcony,with sea view room 722. We had a problem with our shower when we arrived , we reported it to the reception staff and it was fixed within a hour well pleased .The hotel ran a courtesy bus into Funchal, Thank you regency palace staff .tip if you need transport from the airport to the hotel use the aero us from the airport outside arrivals ,cost you 5 euros each tell the driver your hotel hr drops you just opposite the hotel , return stop just outside the hotel to the left , taxis will cost you anything up to 30 euros one way. We will definatley return to the maderia palace again . We stayed via dial an exchange time share The Busbys from Derby

• Stayed February 2013
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here last January. Hotel very nice , although some of the reviews on here were terrible! We found the staff to be very helpful. The rooms were large and bright, you do need a room above the reception or higher to get a view. Not much on the area, again it was January and very quiet. Needed a taxi or a bus to get into Funchal. Again it was very quiet., the weather was ok. Not as warm as I thought it would have been, very hilly in places. We hired a car and saw some fantastic places! Won't go back to Madeira in a hurry, would recommend the Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
A Sunny Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My mother and I stayed here for five nights. On arrival the room was not ready that was fine as we were early so we were directed to the bar to have a drink. My mother ordered tea, it was weak and with a dash of milk looked white! she said it was awful, i had a sparking water and the two drinks were just less then €5

The room I had booked a one bedroom apartment with sea view. We were upgraded to a two bedroom apartment which was lovely. I had requested near the lift because my mother has mobility problems, she has a stick to walk with. The apartment 711 was the same level as reception. The living area had a large round marble table with five chairs, the kitchenette spotless clean with a microwave, full size fridge with a freezer compartment, plates, cooking pots, etc. there was also a settee, which could convert into a bed and 2 chairs. There was a large balcony with a large table and 4 chairs. The tv picture was good! The tv is old style. The master bedroom king size bed was hard so I asked for a blanket under the sheet much more comfortable. From the window was a partial sea view. The ensuite bathroom was very large with a full,sized bath and 2 wash basins. There is an indoor clothes line there too. Shampoo and bath gel provided daily. The other bedroom had 2 single beds with a partial sea view from the window, again had its own bathroom smaller then the other but all the same a good size the bath was full length. The hotel can provide some meals for the microwave.

Breakfast was ok a reasonable selection of fresh and tinned fruit, hot breakfast, bread, rolls, cheese, meat, etc. we only had dinner on one night and it was terrible. I do not eat meat, but do eat fish, but for vegetarians the meal would be quite poor. The tropical buffet €32.50 per person plus drinks. Well the soup was supposed to be curried chicken mum said it looked like dish water, with the odd bit of chicken and no seasoning and definitely not curried. The hot food was a mixture of hot, and also cold...despite going to the buffet when it opened. Deserts were a hoot. Only 4to choose from, apple pie, passion fruit Pudding creme caramel or ice cream. As for the cheese and biscuits...well biscuits yes but no cheese and when I asked was told none left.! ....

One evening my mother had a Jamaican coffee. The glass was less then half full including the cream,. What a rip off. I did a letter of complaint to the hotel manager and on the day before we were due to leave we spoke with him regarding our letter. He gave us a bottle of water and a,basket of fruit as apologies.

It was my mothers birthday whilst there and I was most surprised the hotel did not acknowledge
It, we have stayed at various hotels on the island and when it's your birthday you usually get something like flowers, bowl of fruit, Madeiras wine, etc.

The hotel runs a shuttle bus to the centre of Funchal but you must book it, we did not use, as I have a regular driver I use when on the island, I have known Celestino for many years and he does not rip his clients off with the fares. If you are coming to the island and need to book a taxi fro the airport he is very good, I also ring him when I am here to take us to where we want to go.

There is free wifi but only in the reception area, it's like iPad land there!

The hotel has nice gardens, with seating in them, ponds with koi, 2 outdoor pools, an indoor pool, a jacuzzi, but the jacuzzi was freezing cold and I complained to the health centre person and she tested the water and said there is a problem and would get it sorted. In the time we were there the jacuzzi was unusable due to the fact it was cold. The indoor pool was fine. I did not use the sauna or massage treatments so can notcomment on those.

The situation of the hotel is about 6km from the centre of Funchal. To leave the hotel is a steep driveway. You can get buses into the town a few minutes walk from the hotel. You can pay on the bus, or buy a giro recharage bus card which you swipe. You buy the card at the newsagents.

Shopping if you are active out the hotel at the front turn right walk straight and in 15 minutes you will find the forum shopping centre. A taxi to here is about €4. At the front of the forum you see steps, but if you walk pass the shops on the level there are the escalators. Need the lift walk as far back as you can and there is a corridor go along it and you find the lifts. Restaurants 2nd floor and supermarket lower ground.

Would I stay at this hotel again, yes because it was relaxing, but I would not have dinner there.

I used to live in Funchal so if you need help with the location of hotels please ask, from the regency I moved to Porto Santa Maria in the town, there will be a review on this one too. I travelled with my mother so have marked it as family

Room Tip: Higher floors better sea view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Estoril, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

It's a GREAT Madeira Hotel, near Funchal (5 minutes by car) and all the ambiance is fabulous!
The room is very bigggg!!! and the Atlantic Ocean view, amazing!
A very clean Hotel, a fantastic warm and cold buffet breakfast and quiet as I like! The bar is very nice and offers, in the evening, a kind of Madeira folklore show with all these very colourful dresses and lovely music! Really great experience! And the food....mmmmmm
They have a huge outdoor pool and a nice inside pool and Jacuzzi!

Room Tip: With a sea view, of course!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Madeira Regency Palace? Share your experiences!