“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
windlesham
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had to visit this place after reading reviews on this site. If you want fine dining stop reading. This is a small place with stools around about 8 tables (mostly for 2 people).
Scruffy chalk marks on a blackboard but no menu. The waiter explains what there is (and his English is difficult to understand but he repeats it if you ask). I had the limpets (enough for 2) cost 7.80 euro. I then had the dourade (Gilthead seabream) 12 euro, with boiled potatoes, carrots and marrow, 1.40 euro. He served it off the bone for me without asking. I loved it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
Ham, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Nobody to invite you in. No written menu. No fuss. Just pure quality fish prepared simply and in front of you.
I didn't think I liked lapas (limpets and a delicacy of the island). But there was no other choice for starters and I loved these.
Three fish alternatives. We went for the scabbard fish and it was terrific. So much too, with interesting veg and good wine.
Not a place for ceremony or leisurely dining. But a very special place for food.

Visited February 2013
Southsea
“No fuss but the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very small restaurant run by brother and sister; very convivial place; stools, paper table sets, about ten tables and no menu. You enter the room, sit at a table and the waiter tells you what there is on the menu. Limpets (lapas, speciality of the Island) were the starters; daurade and espada were the 2 fish on offer. We had the limpets, they were delicious. For fish we chose a whole daurade and the espada; both were cooked to perfection. we were asked whether we wanted the fish to be grilled or fried; we had it grilled served with lemon and garlic; with the fish there was a dish of local vegetables too. We love fish and were delighted by what we were offered and will go back next year. Of course this place can only be recommended to people who like fresh fish and do not mind very basic setting.

• Visited February 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great no nonsense fish restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Small place, sit on stools, warm atmosphere. Tourists in the evening, locals for lunch. Amazing fish :-)

Crewe
“Loved It!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We'd read about this little restaurant here on TripAdvisor and decided to visit during one afternoon on our recent trip. We headed down Rua Santa Maria (very easy to find, it's located in the old part of Funchal) and found the front entrance. I told my wife that it must be closed as there were no tables & chairs outside and very little to indicate that it was open, but I popped my head around the door and asked the gentleman what time they opened only to discover that they were actually open!

Many tourists would probably walk straight past this restaurant as a result - most of the restaurants have either tables & chairs outside or waiters trying their best to invite you to eat there. Not so with Jaquet, they appear to rely purely on word of mouth.

After eating there, I can see why. If I were a local I wouldn't want anybody to know about it either, the food is so good. It truly felt like a 'best kept secret'.

The restaurant is small, probably no more than 8-10 tables from memory, but the food certainly packs a punch. Other reviewers have said that they enjoyed the fact that there's no menu - I also found the lack of menus somehow fresh and adventurous.

The guy who runs Jaquet came over shortly after we'd sat down to go through the options (limpets for starters followed by a choice of three fish for the main course - we both ordered swordfish). We also ordered a bottle of white wine from the Portuguese Douro Region and he recommended a bottle of Planalto which we'd drank at another restaurant the previous day (and can heartily recommend, it's absolutely delicious!).

The food was delicious, fresh and exciting. We'd never eaten limpets before but the presentation alone had our mouths watering - they were delivered to our table in the pan they'd been cooked in and were stunning. The swordfish was absolutely superb - it had been marinated in a kind of vinaigrette dressing and there was lots of it too. Great value for the price.

One word of advice - Jaquet don't accept credit cards so you'll need to remember to carry enough cash with you.

I only wish that we'd had enough time to revisit but we generally attempt to try as many different restaurants as we can on holiday, but I'd heartily recommend it.

• Visited November 2012