“Good restaurant but I preferred the Do Forte” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante Mozart

Restaurante Mozart
Rua D. Carlos I, N0 50 | Zona Velha Da Cidade, Funchal, Madeira 9060-051, Portugal
291 244239
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 428 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Mozart is born of a perfect symphony between Rui Pedro, Renato, the Telesforo and all elements of the orchestra every day color the sound of the strings violin sprawling on the wall beside the great figures of the music classical. This name is a tribute to Madeira restoration. Situated in one of the most emblematic areas of Funchal, the Old Town, the Mozart Restaurant with a decoration taken to detail, in a style reminiscent of the Classical Era, lives an atmosphere, an atmosphere of refinement and yet familiar, with attention to detail and a team that although young is too experienced to play the ninth symphony of Mozart. This signature cuisine specializes in dishes whose essence carries various flavors and aromas in a real world full of colors. This signature cuisine inspired by the regional, national and international cuisine not only conveys to each of our clients sound and harmony, but above all provides strong and emotional palate.
London, United Kingdom
“Good restaurant but I preferred the Do Forte”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

This is still a good restaurant but i think the sister restaurant the Do Forte is better. The menu is the same as the Do Forte but i didn't like the setting as much. Having said that if i had visited this restaurant first i probably would have been more impressed.

I would suggest trying both restaurants and see what you think. The 3 course menu option with wine for 35 Euros is an absolute bargain.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
“More than fantastic.... This is perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Having read reviews of Mozart's on 'Trip Advisor' before visiting Funchal, our expectations were high. We needn't have worried. This place is unique. After being greeted by Simon, dressed head to toe as Mozart himself, we were shown to our table and immediately offered a glass of champagne. From this point on, Simon and his team were attentive throughout and nothing was too much trouble for them.

After the champagne came the bread, toast and pate. This was followed by the starters. We chose a chicken dish that was made up of a salad of cucumber, tomato, lettuce, egg, chives and orange with a balsamic and yogurt dressing. The combination of these flavours was delicious.

For main course we chose one dish of fillet steak and one of scabbard fish, salmon and spinach. The steak was cooked medium well done and tasted superb - the knife gliding through the meat effortlessly. The fish was also cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth, with the combination of flavours working so well together. Both were served with a selection of beautifully cooked vegetables and sauces.

The desserts are something to behold. As so many reviews on 'Trip Advisor' have mentioned, the 'metl-in-the-mouth' chocolate pudding is an out-of-world experience and needs to be sampled to be truly appreciated. As Ozzie, one of our waiters said to us, this dessert truly is '..better than M&S'!! Coffee is also served as a perfect end to a perfect meal.

Throughout the meal, our wine glasses were never empty. We were offered a choice of white or red with each course and the wines themselves were of a very good quality. If you choose not to drink wine, soft drinks or water are also avaiilable. Even before finishing our desserts, we had booked a table for a further three visits.

All of the above comes at a remarkable price of 35 Euros per meal. When you consider the quality of the food and service on offer, this has to be the best value that we have experienced anywhere in the world.

From the first time visiting the restaurant, Simon and his team of waiters, Ozzie, Ricardo, Alex and Victor were polite, courteous and attentive, making every effort to ensure our experiences were memorable. Also... congratulations to the chefs on providing such a high quality, delicious and flavoursome menu.

If you ever find yourself in Funchal, do not miss out on this experience. You will not regret it! We will certainly be returning sometime in the future.

WELL DONE MOZARTS!!

London
“Sublime Beyond our Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We visited Mozart's after it being recommended by its sister restaurant at the old fort. We had the same set menu as before at the fort which is absolutely amazing value. The manager is the most delightful South African who ensured his entire team were most attentive, our glasses never being left near empty.

We both had the steak for a second time and it was better than the first, such a delicious cut of meat cooked to perfection. The chocolate pudding was gorgeous and even though we were extremely full we both finished it entirely.

Thank you to all the staff, especially the chef who made it a night to remember. Definitely one of, if not the best meal we have had...

• Visited July 2011
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Generally impressive but big problem personally”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We opted for here rather than do Forte, due to it being seemingly less formal and we just walked in rather than having to go through the fuss of arranging reservations. Thought we might as well, with it being the same menu, same deal and possibly (looking at other reviews and forum posts) the same staff.

Got in and were seated with a glass of bubbly each with the menu to choose our 3 courses. Nothing jumped at me starter-wise tbh, ended up going for the pineapple carpaccio which was ok I guess. Can't remember what partner had unfortunately (ended up drinking a lot of the free-flowing wine, which I will come to later!). Glass of white wine which wasn't topped up - water wasn't either.

Onto the main course. As I often do in higher-end restaurants, I went for the fillet of beef. This came with a pepper sauce I seem to remember. I have my steak cooked rare. Unfortunately, there was a problem here as the steak was brought to me nowhere near what I (and the chefs of every other restaurant I have ever eaten steak in) consider to be rare. Wasn't even medium rare. Not sure if it was medium, medium well etc as I have never wanted to inflict such punishment on a superb cut of beef!! So I beckoned the waiter back over and explained. He then had the cheek to try and tell me that it was cooked rare, despite me cutting into it and showing him it. Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right'? My meal was eventually taken away, so I had the pleasure of sitting and watching my fiancée eat her main. I also decided to busy myself with the free-flowing red wine. A new steak arrived after quite a long wait (considering the previous problem was that they took too long cooking it!!) and again, it wasn't rare. It was better than last time and I couldn't be bothered arguing so I accepted it.

Desserts were pretty, presentation good etc etc but the service here really disappointed me.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leeds
“Best value for money meal i have and will ever have.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I have recently got back from Madiera and after dining out every night at some excellent restaurants, Mozart was the best by far. The food was incredible, the atmosphere relaxing and the staff were superb. There were six in our party including two children under the age of twelve, we had five different dishes between us and every dish was delicious. One of the children asked to meet the chef that cooked her food and to our astonishment out walked this 18 year old girl. We were then told most of staff were of a similar age to her and they were all professional and polite.
Do not let the 35Euro per head price put you off as you will be missing out on a treat. Your wine glass is never empty as this is included in the price.
Make sure to book early as the restaurant is always full.
Make sure you take a trip to the bathroom in this restaurant for an extra suprise.