We stayed at Reids Palace Hotel for three days in October. We took advantage of their free room upgrade offer. We stayed in a magnificient suite with three balconies, all with great sea views.
The hotel were aware of the reason for our visit: a honeymoon combined with a special birthday.
From the moment we arrived until when we left, the hotel service was perfect. A common souce of irritation when staying in hotels where the main language is not English is when one speaks to staff in the native tongue, the reply comes back in English. Our Portuguese is reasonably fluent. Never once did the staff respond in anything other than the language we used, even when it was obvious that their English was almost accentless and superb.
The breakfast, part served and part buffet was good quality and variety. There was vodka for Bloody Marys and champagne if that was your want. ( Not mine ! ) Again the staff were totally professional.
The grounds of the hotel were lush and well maintained. They were a very pleasant location for a post prandial stroll.
For the birthday dinner, we booked the hotel's Cipriani restaurant. We were given a table on the terrace overlooking the ocean. It was perfect. Once again, as in the hotel, the staff were charming and efficient without being obsequious or intrusive. The food was well prepared and the prices very reasonable. At the end of the meal a surprise birthday cake appeared which was delicious. It was just the right size for two.
My wife and I have been fortunate enough to travel extensively over most of the world. We have stayed in some great hotels in wonderful locations. We have our own little competition for the best hotel that we have stayed at. The Dusit Thani in Langawi, the Waldorf Astoria in New York have figured on the list which until this trip was led by Raffles Hotel in Singapore.
We now see Reids as the number one hotel that we have visited in our years of travel.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Splendia, Tingo, Venere, HotelsClick and Jetsetter so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.