We booked last minute through Sovereign, and everything went like clockwork, from the use of special lounge at Bristol airport, comfortable flights and chauffeur transport awaiting us on arrival.
Reids would normally be outside of what we would spend for a week`s break, but it was worth every penny. Nothing there is cheap, but what we got for our money was priceless. The Receptionist who accompanied us to our room gave us an introduction to the hotel as we progressed through it. With "old world elegance" amazing floral arrangements, some walls lined with the history of Reid`s and photos of famous guests who had stayed there, by the time we arrived at our room we felt most welcomed guests too.
I was amazed that all the staff with whom we had contact remembered our names and addressed us thus. The service was the best we had had in any hotel in the world.
We upgraded to a second tier room and this gave us benefits of three evening meals...one in each of the restaurants Our room,with balcony, in the older part of the hotel, was impecable, with crisp linen sheets changed daily,and a view over Funchal harbour .The food was the equivilant of top class meals coming out of the best restaurants in France....beautifully presented, with taste to savour, and always accompanied to the tinkiling of a piano. The pianist must be full time there because he plays for the afternoon teas, taken on the terrace, and a "must" ..., then later in the cocktail bar, moving on to the dining room, and back to the cocktail bar later on.
We certainly felt cocooned in a relaxed world of yesteryear, which was not in the least stuffy.
One evening co-incided with a dinner dance in the main dining room, again to the strains of a live band. The atmosphere, the food, service...everything was an evening to remember. We enjoyed local wines, the reds of which were as robust as wine from Bordeaux, and this kept our bar bill within reason.
On the leisure side there are two pools, both of perfect temperatures, one being a salt water one. The hotel is built into a cliff face, so that you can sunbath and swim right at sea level, with another small pool, or relax on the very comfortable loungers anywhere you wish...again helpful staff are on hand to pamper to your every whim! The gardens are a joy, and there are weekly tours much appreciated by those who appreciate the botanical names etc . For my husband and myself, we were content to wander around cobbled paths and appreciate what was before us. Lots of seating areas and nooks to catch the late sun.
With a state of the art gym, and beauty salon, there is no need to leave paradise.....though in spite of having a voucher from Sovereign to set against the cost of beauty treatment, I did not take advantage of this finding the prices too high for my liking.
There are outings arranged by the hotel, and though the same sort of thing can probably be bought a bit cheaper on the high street, we felt that our day out, a small group with lunch included was worth the cost.
Reid`s certainly is the place to go to.. As behoves a hotel of this class, you don`t go there to watch the pennies, but to adhere to the dress code, to relax, to step back in time yet be connected to modern life. Let Reid`s take care of you, they definitely know how to...Go there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Splendia, Belmond, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal