“Still one of the best hotels in the world.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Reid's Palace

You added Belmond Reid's Palace to your Saves list
Belmond Reid's Palace
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Estrada Monumental 139, Funchal, Madeira 9000-098, Portugal   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% Discount on Suites
Ranked #3 of 89 Hotels in Funchal
France
“Still one of the best hotels in the world.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I can't imagine anybody not enjoying their stay at Reid's. Not only is the hotel itself, simply wonderful, but they have the nicest staff I have ever known. I really can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

I will go back again, and again.

Room Tip: I've had double rooms, junior suites, and a suite. They are all very good. Of course the highe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

As the world has moved ahead by miles, the time at Reid's can often feel like it stands still to the outside world. The hotel is like a good book, a classic novel that never really changes. The sheer beauty of the bay of Funchal and the stunning botanical gardens that surround the hotel makes this palace an ideal hide-away for not only Royalty, but for you and I. From the point of entry as you drive through the gates and are welcomed, you know that this is a nice place. The pool is located on the large terrace with wonderful views across the bay in to the town of Funchal, the little capital of the island of Madeira, which is a must to visit. The sea is all year around warm, so make sure you have given it a try. Breakfast is a real highlight. Step into the beautiful terrace and embrace the excellent buffet with fresh fruits, sparkling wine, juices, baked breads and a selection of warm dishes. Relax after in the gardens and imagine the history, dream away and you may see Sir Winston walk past or set off to paint at one of the small villages in Madeira. Afternoon tea is another "meal" to divulge and is today seen as a real tourist attraction, so book in early, but make sure you are seated on the terrace. After tea, maybe walk into Funchal later for a light supper, as Afternoon tea will for sure fill you up! The rooms are classic, elegant and the new wing slightly more modern, but overall very good. As you leave the gates you bid farewell to the little palace and leave history, something the island is rich in, as this hotel is! What ever you do, you will enjoy it! Cheers!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
sao paulo, brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The Reid's Palace is a classic hotel, full of charm and history. It is located on a cliff overlooking the ocean, not too far from the city center (there is a shuttle that goes to Funchal during the day). There are 3 pools, one of them heated, and also a board for diving into the ocean. The restaurants are quite nice, breakfast is delicious, and the staff very friendly. It took a couple of days for our luggage to arrive, and the concierge handled it extremely well, and kept contacting the airline and airports to find it, which we really appreciated. We stayed in a Junior Suite with ocean views, and the room was huge! There are quite a few hotels in Funchal, but this is definitely the best choice, if you are looking for a quiet and luxury place to stay. Reid's impeccable service and beautiful grounds definitely make us want to go back to Madeira .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to Reid's for our Honeymoon and recently returned for our 10th Anniversary. This place is simply the best hotel we have ever stayed in. It is the only place to stay in Madeira; don't think about it, just book it!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, just good and better.
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Well what can I say really about this famous premise that has played hosts to such guests as Churchill!

On driving up to the hotel I didn't even think we were in the right place! It’s only when you get into the quaint cobbled court yard that you start to see how special this place is. We were greeted by the door man and concierge who took out bags. Check-in was quick and the gentleman who sounded American even showed us around the hotel which I would strongly advise on your first visit!

We decided to come in June because of Madeiras Firework festival which sees a different country show off every Saturday night. We did view it from the balcony but after hearing the next day that they play live music along to the show we should have gone done to the harbour!

We stayed in room 412, Deluxe Double I believe which had stunning views of the sea, pool and harbour. Sure enough the bags soon arrived. Be sure to tip! The room is absolutely lovely, such relaxing colours and fabrics. Everything you needed from TV with great channels, dvd player, air con, wine, treats, traditional cakes upon arrival with letter to welcome you, internet link, letter writing, slippers, and so so much more. Help yourself to the free soft drinks in the fridge from coke to tomato juice which is replenished daily. The wardrobe had plentiful space and hangers, they do not have an iron in the room due to fire risk but they offer some complimentary services such as shoe shine (hang them on your door at night and they’ll be back first thing in the morning!). The marble bathroom was beautiful, the bath was longer than I am which I have never experienced before so all is well for you 7ft plus gentlemen! Everything has the Reid’s signature on it from all the toiletries, towels, to the bathrobes (which you can purchase). They truly have thought of everything from nail kits to your cotton pads and shower caps! Same rule applies here where you leave the towels on the floor if you require clean ones.
The maid I think must have come at least 3 times a day, if we came back after breakfast the bed had been made and any clothing left on the floor placed on the chair. Then in the afternoon when we came back we had fresh towels and dressing gowns. Then again in the evening we returned for the night to find our lamps on, a linen towel on the floor beside the bed with your slippers on and a cold bottle of water and glass next to each bedside. Very thoughtful!
The hotel itself I found very overwhelming. We both felt like we had to whisper as if we were in an art museum or library. After the first night you do relax! The lift does not go to all floors, you use one to get down to where the guest rooms are and another to go to the breakfast floor and pool. The first part of the hotel does have some guest rooms but mostly has the restaurants and cocktail bar. The hallways are full of pictures, sofas, tapestries and history. The pool area was very quiet with the occasional sound of children. The larger pool is adults only and the second pool is a lot warmer with an area to sit and a box of floats etc that you can use/play with. The sunlounger are comfortable with pillows and you pick up your towel from the shelf before stepping onto the pool area. The pool manager helps with any shade you require or if you want to borrow any books he has. There are a lot of tiny lizards which I loved watching from the sunlounger. If you go down the steps they take you to the seaside where they have a pool which waves fill, many spots to sunbathe, a diving board, ropes to help you out and even a float that you can swim out to which I loved! They have changing rooms with lockers, toilers, showers and toiletries available for you as well so you do not have to use the outdoor shower and changing cabin if you don’t want to. All the guests I must say were friendly apart from this body builder and blonde who strutted around constantly wearing sunglasses even during breakfast, I never saw the speak a word not even to each other and if they were famous I certainly did not recognise them.

Breakfast was absolutely perfect. They couldn’t do enough for you, the service was at high standard throughout and they all spoke a few different languages. Newspapers are available to read then return. Eggs are cooked to your liking and we saw the chef checking the spread regularly. You have stunning views over the pool area and the sea. We had cocktails at the pool bar which are around 13.50 euros each and everything is put on your room number. We didn’t eat at the other restaurants as we prefer to eat out but on the last night we did order room service. If you like plain food then you may have to specifically tell them what you want; otherwise they will try and provide you with anything you fancy.

Reid’s is quite a walk from the main harbour area, they do provide a shuttle but we chose to walk being in our early twenties. Madeira itself is incredibly steep and I do not recommend wearing heels or thin bottomed footwear. If you turn left outside the hotel there are many other hotels, a little park, loads of restaurants including a lovely Irish bar, pizzeria, restaurants with sea views and some shops. We didn’t go this way often as most of the restaurants seem to offer the same foods. If you turn rights then you’ll see the well-known Irish sports bar which we found to be very fun with live entertainment from the landlords son, we didn’t eat here as we came quite late after the rugby final. But we ended up drinking here til late with the locals and owners. Everyone is so very welcoming and polite! Walk further and you will eventually come to the small and only casino, then the main harbour with all the other restaurants. People do tend to try and get you to eat at theirs but just tell you to come and venture back another night, again very polite.

Upon check out you called from your room for somebody to collect your bags, then go up to reception. It was again very fast. It’s good to know that you may settle your bill in cash as well, the information first given to us was credit card only so we were disappointed slightly that we held back when we could have just used the cash we had. Only negative of the whole stay was a woman at reception who I found to be very rude and a bit of a snob when I asked her if I had a certain letter left for me behind the desk, she may have been having a bad day as her colleague quickly interrupted her and answered me again but politely.

I would certainly visit again but only for a special occasion.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Having enjoyed a lovely meal two years ago at this hotel (at Brisa do Mar) we were excited to return.The food was really excellent and the service at our table was superb. Views were incredible, staff courteous, professional and warm. The wine sommelier was knowledgeable and helpful.

Our only criticisms were that we felt staff around the hotel could have been more helpful and that general customer service standards need to be higher for a hotel with prices this high. I do have to agree with some of the comments others have made regarding certain staff (particularly reception staff) being rather snooty at times and needing to be warmer and more welcoming. I would also suggest that given the fact that hotel facilities (such as bars and restaurants) are spread out across a sizable area, it makes sense that staff work in a more joined-up manner, bringing things to guests rather than vaguely directing guests to other places in their hotel. A good example of this is when I handed in my jacket at a restaurant - upon leaving the hotel I realised I had forgotten to collect my jacket, went to reception and asked where I might retrieve it. I was then passed from pillar to post and had to walk to three separate locations to hunt for it... I would have expected it to be returned to me at reception, rather than having to do all the leg-work, particularly having spent over 250 euros on a meal! I also think that reception staff need to be more helpful in directing guests to their bars and restaurants (we were just told 'it's down the corridor'!)

I don't want to give the impression that this hotel and restaurant aren't amazing - they are. I just feel that in such a competitive market, and in a sector that aims to deliver the very highest standards my expectations are always very high. I want to see the hotel do well as it has such wonderful history and it does have some really top-quality restaurant staff.

Would I go back? Absolutely!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Haynes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Have recently visited Reid's Palace again and nothing has changed, still absolute perfection. What a view, but it's the staff that make this a home from home.

I was surprised that a review of 12th August found it so disappointing. I must step in to defend the staff, and my comments on the adverse review by dom125 are below.

Everone has a right not to like things, but one has to be reasonable.

A complaint is that the view of the city was blocked by a big pillar. That is how the hotel was built. If you turn up on spec, then you can't expect the best table. We like all of the sandwiches that are provided, but if you don't like particular sorts, why not say that when ordering? To say they were disgusting when someone doesn't like the contents is not fair comment.

The reviewer doesn't like fruit scones, so had to pick out the fruit. My wife & I have had afternoon tea on many occasions, but never seen fruit scones. However, I like fruit scones, the reviewer doesn't, that's a personal thing, and is not the Hotel's fault. Re the waitress not knowing the contents of the cakes, you say she was young. Was it a problem that she had to ask a colleague. Does it occur to you that she may have been a trainee? All of the cakes are very nice - unless one doesn't like the contents.

We know the staff who are in the the shop, they wear their own clothes, as do the staff in Guest Relations. They are all very helpful and polite, perhaps the reviewer had by now decided to find fault with every thing. The bar by the Pool is only for guests, as are the gardens. Did you explain when asking its whereabouts that you were not guests? It is only right that parts of the hotel be open only to Guests.

I can assure dom125 that the staff are neither rude nor snobby. I am a very down to earth sort of person, but find that all of the staff are so helpful and friendly. We stay at Reid's every July and are returning in October. If things were not perfect we would not return. I have not seen another hotel on Madeira that begins to compare with the siting of Reid's Palace.

It's a shame you didn't like Reid's Hotel, but it seems that there are so many things you don't like that to go for afternoon tea, which is fixed, was not the best way of trying Reid's. I intend to ask when I stay there this October if one can decide not to have certain sandwich fillings, and have more of the others instead, and I know what the answer will - Of Course Sir!

If you have only seen Reid's Palce Hotel from Estrad Monumental, then don't let that put you off. The gardens and views from the hotel are magnificent.

The figures of how many people have rated the hotel as 5, = Excellent, speak for them selves, so don't be put off by the review of 12th August.

I can think of no way in which this hotel could be improved.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, it just depends what you want. Phone reservations and they will guide you t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Belmond Reid's Palace? Share your experiences!