The Reids Palace was the venue for our Silver Wedding Anniversary, staying in a Superior room on the 5th Floor, with access to the garden, private sun-beds, and great views. The hotel represents Britain, in the days of the Empire! The room was great, very clean, free wifi, and complimentary soft drinks. Restaurants were all great, and dressing for breakfast wasn't uncommon, indeed champagne was on offer for breakfast. Lots and lots of space to sunbathe by the pools and on sun decks by the sea. The pools were nice and warm, a real joy, and the pool service was good. The clientele of the Reids were mainly elderly, I felt young at the age of 50, no bad thing! Drinks prices weren't too horrible, food prices were steep though. Good restaurants, and even competitor hotels are a 5 minute walk away, and are half the price, shame really, perhaps the Orient Express chain needs to rethink. The staff of the hotel are all excellent, greeting you warmly every time and from what I could see all spoke English, German, French and Portuguese, as ever humbling British guests! Funchal town is a 25 minutes stroll away, one steep hill, the hotel has a bus to help and taxis are plentiful. A great hotel, we will return when we get a little older, when we might appreciate the quiet ambience more!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Belmond Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Belmond, Venere, Otel, HotelTravel.com, Hotwire, Odigeo, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Belmond Reid's Palace Madeira/Funchal