I brought my 86 year old Father here for a week at Easter. The hotel itself and the gardens are beautiful and elegant (without being stuffy), but it is the staff and service that make the hotel really exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble and we were made to feel very valued. Our room was beautiful, had a large terrace with a sea view, and was serviced very discretely twice a day.
The breakfast menu was extensive with omlettes cooked to order, a hot and cold buffet and wonder fresh fruit and fruit juices (and even champagne). We ate in 2 of the restaurants (Villa Cipriani and Les Faunes) Food and service were super in both. The view of Funchal from Les Faunes is simply stunning.
The excursions organised by the hotel were excellent and the guide really knew her stuff, especially in the Botanic Gardens. Waterproofs were provided by the hotel when the weather looked as though rain was on its way.
The only slight negative was afternoon tea on the terrace. This surprised me as it is one of the things the hotel is famous for. Service was not up to the standards elsewhere (staff seemed more interested in clearing empty tables than serving occupied tables) and the food was nothing special. In particular, it seemed odd that 3 scones were served for 2 people.
I will definately return for, as one guide book said, "Reid's itself is a destination".
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel
- Reid's Palace By Orient-Express Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orient Express, Tablet Hotels, Priceline, Splendia, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Reid's Palace by Orient-Express reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.