“Great food, great French chef” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Xopana Restaurant

Xopana Restaurant
Choupana Hills Resort & SPA | Travessa do Largo da Choupana, Funchal, Madeira 9060-348, Portugal
291206020
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 438 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Clermont-Ferrand, France
“Great food, great French chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I liked it all, delightful flavours, local with a hint of French Continental, I am going home a little heavier as I couldn't leave their local wine alone!

Visited March 2013

• Czech first
USA
“Lovely restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The food is delicious and the service is classic. This is what food and service should be like!! We ate here everyday during our 10 day sojourn in Funchal. We were staying at Choupana Hills so it was convenient but honestly when we were out and about in Funchal, we did not want to eat elsewhere cause the food was so good back at the hotel. Can highly recommend the spaghetti with bacon. The breakfast buffet is amazing and served with unlimited sparkling wine :)

Visited August 2012
Funchal, Portugal
“Bad price/quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have been to this restaurant with a friend a few weeks ago. I am a frequent guest here at Il Gallo d'Oro, Riso etc. Someone recommended this restaurant, but I have to say it was a bad experience:
I ordered a kir royal as aperitif. The champagne was not sparkling anymore, so they replaced when I mentioned (this is not really a complaint, because this seems to happen a lot, even in very luxury hotels I went abroad).
We ordered two starters. The soup I had was not good, way too much cream and served cold. The other starter was with shrimps; they were okay, but not special.
For the main course my friend ordered tuna. I tasted too and I had to agree this was the worst tuna I had tasted in my entire life. Very bad quality and completely overcooked. We complained. First, the waiter said very rudely we had asked it well done, which was not even true (as if one would ever ask for a tuna well done...). Afterwards someone from the kitchen came to our table. He even agreed there was a problem to find good quality fish here (a lot of people think that it is easy on Madeira, being an island. However, this only applies to scabbard fish,...). If one has tuna on the menu and cannot find good quality locally, then they should import or remove it from the menu... In the end we did not need to pay for the tuna. However, I do not come to a restaurant for not paying. I do not mind paying, but I want the quality I pay for. The lamb I ordered as a main course was okay.
Positive: The wine that accompanied my lamb was very good. The sommelier was very kind actually. He offered himself to open a bottle that was normally not available by the glass. That I appreciated a lot and he was very friendly and skillful.
The interior of the restaurant looks very cheap. It seems they wanted to create an Eastern atmosphere but in our impression it looked more like a canteen. Cheap materials throughout. Also the chairs in the lobby were very uncomfortable. It looked like they had tried, but that it could not cost a lot of money, so everything looked rather cheap (I cannot comment on the rooms since I have never stayed at the hotel).
However, the prices they charge are not low at all. We left the restaurant with a high bill for the quality we got in return (even without the tuna; I do not mind paying at good restaurants, I even went to 3 Michelin star ones, but I want a good price/quality).
I noticed a lot of guests were enjoying their meal. I also notice a lot of positive reviews here. I do not think I am a difficult guest. In fact, I almost never complain and I am very tolerant. Sometimes I wonder whether people these days actually taste that it is not good...

Later I heard at another hotel that Choupana seems to have a lot of problems. A lot of staff is leaving the hotel, some are not paid for 2 months in a row etc. If I look at the prices they charge and the quality they deliver, I was not surprised hearing that...

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

We ate there since it was in our hotel
Salmon tartar was just ok and fish main was really good
Food was nice but not my favorite and was expecting something more local rather than international cuisine

Miranda do Corvo, Portugal
“We had to go back to make sure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Going back to a venue which has given so much pleasure in the past can sometimes be a real mistake, taking friends for their first visit, even more precarious. Is the service as good, will the atmosphere be as convivial, the food as outstanding?The answer in this case is a resounding YES! Although it's the quiet season and the restaurant only serving four tables, the standard of attention was impeccable. Staff in general are professional, efficient, and attentive, although most were different from our last visit the keystone to this restaurant is Morgado. A sommelier par excellence! What a refreshing change to have someone advising in the wines who isn't looking to up sell on the wines. We knew what we wanted, long live wines from the Anteljho region, both red and white.
Our guests adored the intelligent guidance to matching wine with food without the accompanying condescension so often experienced here in the UK.
From the tantalising mis en bouche to the sumptuous souffle, a stunning meal. If there was one minor observation, the lamb with chorizo needed more balance being slightly over salty. Don't be fooled, our next visit to Madeira will include at least one visit to Xopana, - just to make sure!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere