“did not live up to expectations” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 428 Restaurants in Funchal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“did not live up to expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I thought about just not putting a review in because the owner Bruno was so helpful. But it was not a good experience.. I had a Madeira staple for starters - onion and tomato soup and it was horrible. It was thick as if it had boiled away. I couldn't eat it but did not complain. Bruno noticed and refunded the cost. He said the chef who cooked it was inexperienced. But that should not happen. The main course was a delicate espada- scabbard fish which was drowned in a thick sweet sauce. Chips were undercooked. My husbands meat on a skewer was ok, but no better than that. The wait was excessive, around 45 minutes for the starter and then another about an hour for the main. Before our meal we were given a nice little starter of garlic bread fish cakes and beans. As we didn't order it we assumed it was on the house,but it wasn't and we were charged €5.00 for them.
Bruno you are delightful and you charm your customers but you must do something about the food and food service.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
B.Silva, Proprietário at Real Canoa, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Tripadvisor Customers
First of all I want to apologize for not really had given you a wonderful dinner experience! You were very friendly and nice customers and I think if you had enjoyed you will become part of my loyalty trade. But I have to accept that customers have different tastes and experiences and it’s not easy to satisfy everyone expectations, specially when we are very busy!
Everyday customers say to me that our tomato and onion or the fish soup is the best in the Island so you were very unlucky! About the fish is the most traditional of Madeira and is made in a fresh passion fruit sauce with fried Banana and is lovely for most of the Customers! After checking the surveillance cameras I noticed the waiting time was 22 minutes for the starter and 34m for mains so very acceptable, but I understand when we don’t enjoyed is seems an eternity! The most traditional Restaurants in Madeira always bring the bread to the Table and that is the practice for many years, and the cost in my Restaurant is 2.50 for the bread included with a complimentary starter! Thank you so much for the comment I will shared with my staff and we will promised that if you give us another chance we will not let you down!

glasgow
“What an atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is where you can come as a stranger and leave as a friend...Bruno and his staff ensure that everyone is totally at ease and that their every wish is translated into a reality. The music plays in the background, the evening has that pleasant atmosphere and ...after that....you simply leave it to the attentive staff ..whether in waiting or in preparation of food to bring it together and make it a truly superb evening each and every time

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great local reasturant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

As we have a time share locally this is a very convent restaurant. We visited last night and although our management team had forgotten to book Bruno picked us up and fitted us in. The atmosphere is great and lively the staff very attentive. A great night out.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“Our first visit and great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We were recommended to visit this restaurant by friends who use it whenever in Funchal in the Monumental area (near the Pestana Palace). We regularly visit Funchal and have been to many restaurants there. We had a great lunch as very sensible prices. The owner and host Bruno was on duty and was very friendly and helpful. All the staff were good and the food was above average and the presentation well above average. The restaurant was very nicely fitted out and clean. We will return on our next visit

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Funchal, Portugal
“A reasonable meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I ate at this restaurant at a Sunday for lunch with my boyfriend.
The staff was very attentive and friendly and the atmosphere was very good too.
Our starter was excellent – we shared the prawns and they were to die for - so we were really looking forward to the rest of the meal..
We had a bottle of a local Rose wine which as very good too.
Our mains… They were nicely presented but… Well… my boyfriend had the house pepper steak, the meat was tender and was rare as he had asked but the sauce was poor and had no taste at all… I had the fish of the day which came in two filets and this also lacked taste - although it was covered with herbs - and it was a bit dry.
We had no desert.
Our bill went up to 60€ which we found too expensive for the quality of food that we had (my fish alone cost 23€).
I don’t mind paying for a meal as long as the quality justifies the price - and this was not the case.
Summing up, the service is excellent, the atmosphere is quite good but quality of the food is alright only.

• Visited November 2013