We stayed here for 11 nights at the end of June. We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and the hotel upgraded our room and sent us champagne which was a nice surprise.
The hotel bedrooms are great, lots of space and we had a lovely sea view. We really enjoyed the hotel grounds, large pool areas and lovely garden areas.
We stayed on a half board basis and this was the only thing we were disappointed with. The breakfast was good with a range of cold and cooked foods and limited pastries - all self service (including the hot drinks) which we found surprising for a 4* hotel, some mornings it was very busy and there were queues for everything and certain things did run out and it took a while for them to be replaced. We found the evening buffet to be limited and there was no show cooking the whole time we were there, which we would expect from this standard of hotel, in fact we saw very little of the chefs. We had two meals in the Deep Blue restaurant, although pricey the food was absolutely wonderful and it was a shame that the buffet food did not compare. On reflection we should have gone to this restaurant every evening and given the buffet a miss, but we kept hoping the buffet would improve. I have re-read the reviews on the food at the hotel and there doesn't seem to be much said about the buffet, perhaps we have been spoiled at other hotels and were comparing to them!
All the staff were very helpful and all areas were kept very clean.
There are only two lifts for the whole hotel and these were inadequate and there is no main stair case, only fire escapes.
The hotel is about a 30 minute into Funchal town centre and it is a very pleasant walk. The hotel is on the sea front and there is a nice promenade walk.
We attended a Pestana presentation about the time-share scheme and were very impressed with what was on offer and felt that the Pestana group is appealing to this type of customer rather than a package holiday customer and perhaps that is why the food at this hotel is letting them down. It seems that the time-share customers do not eat at the hotel, most reviews confirm this.
We will definitely return to Funchal and may try another of the Pestana hotels just for a comparison.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in front of the spectacular promenade that stretches from Lido to Praia Formosa Beach,this modern and quiet resort offers spectacular views to the ocean. 92% Of the rooms are sea views and offer the commodity you would expect from a luxury hotel in a relaxed manner.112 Family Friendly Rooms and Suites, all equipped with bathtub with shower, and some with separate bathtub and shower, washbasin, WC, hairdryer, air conditioning, telephone, Cable TV, Pay TV, LCD monitor, digital safety box, Business Services is available, cable or wireless Internet access, mini-refrigerator and balcony or terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, HotelsClick, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel Madeira/Funchal