Stayed her for a week in March 2013. Everything you would expect from a 4 star international hotel. The staff are in general helpful and friendly the accommodation is nicely done and at the moment the decor is up to scratch. The indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna are very good if you can avoid the naked germans ! There is a small but well equipped gym and a games room which isn't very attractive. The out door pool and garden area is very nice indeed although it wasn't the best weather whilst we were there. Breakfast is an international buffet and is plentiful and well supplied even if the quality at times is not as good as it could be. The bar is extraordinarily expensive except between 5 and 7 each day when drinks are half price and as a consequence about the same as the local bars.
You are a good 3/4 hour stroll into Funchal from here so be prepared to walk or get a taxi if you want to visit the town. There are however several good eateries within a short walking distance (see other reviews).
Overall a good standard hotel , i do however have a couple of gripes.
The hotel is 4 years old and in good repair however maintenance is slipping, our main door frame and bathroom door didn't fit properly and the decor needs a touch up in places, The cleaning staff have a lot to do and don't have an enormous amount of time to do their job to the best standards. The biggest problem this place has however is the lifts, there are two serving all seven floors so at busy times (breakfast, dinner, cleaning times) you can be waiting an extraordinary amount of time, if you are reliant on lifts then this can be a real pain. We gave up using them after the first couple of days as it was much quicker to take the stairs.
We also paid for a sea view and it simply is not worth the extra money you can see the sea perfectly well from any of the rooms so be aware of this.
Stay here , be prepared to wait for lifts, don't expect a gourmet breakfast and be prepared for some walking. Pleasant staff and well equipped public areas and rooms make up for any shortcomings.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in front of the spectacular promenade that stretches from Lido to Praia Formosa, the resort offers spectacular views to the ocean. 92% of the rooms are sea views and offer the commodity you would expect from a luxury hotel in a relaxed manner.112 Rooms and Suites, all equipped with bathtub with shower, and some with separate bathtub and shower, washbasin, WC, hairdryer, air conditioning, telephone, Cable TV, Pay TV, LCD monitor, digital safety box, cable or wireless Internet access (at charge), mini-refrigerator and balcony or terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Otel, HostelBookers, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.