as everyone says, the hotel is a fantastic building and the staff really are excellent. we had a few reservations about the room, mainly no tea making kit and lack of storage space. the classic side sea view room was huge but had a lot of wasted space, which was filled with furniture that didnt need to be there. the wardrobe was big enough but needed more hangers, but there are only 3 small drawers which is not enough for 2 people. it seems that the lack of kettle is a pestana policy in all of its hotels, which is a bit petty considering that this is a 4 star hotel. we took our own but this took up valuable suitcase space. we also took beach towels, not being aware that these were provided. so, more wasted space! the safe is free, which is good and you get 7 days free wi-fi, which is availiabe all over the hotel, including the bedrooms. it seems that they used to charge 18e for this, so that is another good point in their favour. the breakfast comes straight from central casting, being the buffet type that you will get anywhere in europe these days, but not bad.
it was our first time in madeira, and we were very impressed that it felt clean and safe , everywhere that we went. it caters mainly for older people, so if you are expecting magaluf you will be dissapointed. we also thought that we were going to break a world record by not seeing a fat man wearing a replica english football shirt for an entire week, but we spotted one on our last day. still,you cant have everything! as everyone says, there are lots of places to eat near the hotel. we liked the 'hole in one' pub, more relaxed than restaurants and with good live music.
we did the ' being pulled down a hill in a basket' thing which was was a bit of a tourist trap, but where else do you get the chance to do it?
all in all, a fantastic hotel but those couple of quibbles stopped it getting 5 out of 5. we had a fantastic holiday and would return without hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in front of the spectacular promenade that stretches from Lido to Praia Formosa Beach,this modern and quiet resort offers spectacular views to the ocean. 92% Of the rooms are sea views and offer the commodity you would expect from a luxury hotel in a relaxed manner.112 Family Friendly Rooms and Suites, all equipped with bathtub with shower, and some with separate bathtub and shower, washbasin, WC, hairdryer, air conditioning, telephone, Cable TV, Pay TV, LCD monitor, digital safety box, Business Services is available, cable or wireless Internet access, mini-refrigerator and balcony or terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, HostelBookers, BookingOdigeoWL and Otel so you can book your Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel Madeira/Funchal