Just returned from a week at the Pestana Promenade, which is located in the 'hotel area' just outside of Funchal itself. Overall this is a lovely hotel, with good facilities and service.
- Location is good with several restaurants within easy walking distance, and Funchal Old Town a short taxi ride away.
- Very clean and well presented, in all common areas, poolside and rooms.
- Staff are excellent. Very friendly, helpful and genuniely want to ensure you have a good stay. Any requests made, for extra towels, booking taxis, etc. were met with courtesy and in a timely fashion.
- Restaurants and bars are modern, clean and comfortable. The bar and waiting staff are friendly and speak excellent English. We only took breakfast in the hotel and this was well laid out, and plentiful. Some may consider the selection limited, but it had everything you could want and dishes were refreshed by the chef regularly.
- This was the first four star hotel I have visited where the gym was actually usable and the equipment was of a good standard, clean and maintained. I find most hotel gyms very disappointing!
- Some of the bar and snack prices are on the high side, but in my opinion, this is common is most hotels of this rating. However, the bar does offer a daily 'happy hour' which makes it more affordable.
- The Pestana Group do offer 'vacation club/time share' accommodation, which in many ways is a positive. It means facilities are well maintained and you do feel you are getting more for your money. However, you will see parties of people being shown around the Hotel, so it can feel a little intrusive. Also, this does mean that if you are staying on another basis, you do need to be prepared to be approached by the vacation club rep with a view to selling you their offer. This did happen to us, but I have to say the rep was not pushy and when we made it clear we were not interested he did not pester us.
- The beds were large and the matresses comfortable, but all the pillows in our room were terrible. They felt very old and lumpy and it made it difficult to get a comfortable nights sleep.
- There are no concessions made for children beside high chairs in the restaurant and access to the swimming pool (although I knew this on booking, so it isn't really a negative). So if you are looking for lots of activities for children this is not the place for you.
On the whole, I very much enjoyed my stay and would not hesitate to return. The facilities are a step above the average and the staff were excellent.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in front of the spectacular promenade that stretches from Lido to Praia Formosa, the resort offers spectacular views to the ocean. 92% of the rooms are sea views and offer the commodity you would expect from a luxury hotel in a relaxed manner.112 Rooms and Suites, all equipped with bathtub with shower, and some with separate bathtub and shower, washbasin, WC, hairdryer, air conditioning, telephone, Cable TV, Pay TV, LCD monitor, digital safety box, cable or wireless Internet access (at charge), mini-refrigerator and balcony or terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Venere and HotelsClick so you can book your Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.