Dear fellow traveller, I have just returned from a 7 night B&B stay at Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort, here is my review....
I booked through Expedia with transfers which were through EV Tours, we were at the hotel in around 35 minutes.
First of all, the hotel is exactly what it looks like on the website, beautiful and big! We received a complimentary drink, were checked in within 5 minutes, and shown to our room. The room was beautiful, big, balcony overlooking a beautiful seaview, with a sofabed, and small couch. It also had a fridge, tv, hairdryer and the best thing....in the bathroom you can put on the radio, brilliant touch!
The hotel itself is lovely, reception is on Level 5, we were on level 1, where there is also a gym and games room consisting of a pool table, tv, and a full bookshelf. We were in love with the spa, the Jacuzzi is lovely, the only downside is although it closes at 8pm, they switch off the bubbles around 7/730 which is a shame, I went in at 7pm thinking I have an hour to enjoy only to find no bubbles, I was unable to convince the nice spa receptionist to turn the bubbles back on by pointing out ‘but it closes at 8pm’!
They have a great 50% off Happy hour 5-7pm everyday, so cocktails cost around 2.80 euros, can’t go wrong there!
Breakfast....what a choice! Hot food – beans, egg, bacon etc. Cold – ham, cheese etc, fruits, cakes, cereal, juices, hot drinks plus lots more! They also make waffles, which were heaven, I would recommend you toast them twice so they are crunchy and beautiful with chocolate and strawberry sauce & cream! We ate around 8am everyday with no issues, on the last day we went down at 9am, it was much more busier, with many items empty, so before 9 is a good time.
After all this good stuff you maybe wondering why I have knocked off a star. Unfortunately after 2 days I noticed ants in the bathroom, at first ignored them, but after i saw a couple in the bedroom I called down to reception. I was told there are no cleaners around, they can send a spray up or change our room. It was 10pm, we didn’t want to inhale any fumes, plus too tired to move rooms so we asked if this can be sorted in the morning as we’d be out all day. Next evening, yes the room had been cleaned, but there were still ants around. It didn’t bother my roommate, but it did bother me, I didn’t call down again – what was the point really, there was no guarantee any other room would be better, so I somehow stuck out the last 4 days in the same room. My only other issue is the cleanliness, they should start hoovering in rooms as well to pick up dust and hairs – not a major issue but noticeable.
Other than this, the hotel is perfect, the staff lovely and I still highly recommend staying here. The hotel is very big, with different seating areas all tastefully decorated, I can imagine in peak season it must be heaving.
They provide evening entertainment, we were usually out so only caught the end of it most days, of what we did see it was brilliant. Alot of other reviewers have mentioned the noise from the entertainment....yes it can get quite loud, the staff do close the main doors that lead to the bedrooms though. I guess you would only struggle if your bedroom is one of the first few in the corridor, it was not an issue for us. If you are planning quiet nights in at 9pm you should ask for a room lower down in the corridor.
Finally, location is really good. I have stayed in the area before so knew what to expect, its close to shops, restaurants, and bus stops. Bus 1 and 2 takes you to funchal in 10-15 minutes for €1.90 single, or you can walk in around 30-40 mins depending on pace.
There is a lovely restaurant, Bella Ilha at 5 minutes walk from the hotel, lovely food, cheap prices (8-10 slice pizza and drinks and salad cost us €13). I must add portion sizes are huge, so for most meals we either took the rest with us which made dinner, or we ordered 1 meal to share.
Overall, we had a wonderful stay, the staff were amazing, made us feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble, to the point they even gave us a cup of washing up powder so we could do our own washing in the room! Highly recommended hotel!
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel Funchal
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Hotel
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort
- Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel Madeira/Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in front of the spectacular promenade that stretches from Lido to Praia Formosa, the resort offers spectacular views to the ocean. 92% of the rooms are sea views and offer the commodity you would expect from a luxury hotel in a relaxed manner.112 Rooms and Suites, all equipped with bathtub with shower, and some with separate bathtub and shower, washbasin, WC, hairdryer, air conditioning, telephone, Cable TV, Pay TV, LCD monitor, digital safety box, cable or wireless Internet access (at charge), mini-refrigerator and balcony or terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Otel, HostelBookers, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Pestana Promenade Ocean Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.