“An interesting hotel that you should stay once in your life time even if it's bad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Vine, a divine hotel

Save Saved
You added The Vine, a divine hotel to your Saves list
The Vine, a divine hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua dos Aranhas 27A, Funchal, Madeira 9000-044, Portugal   |
Ranked #17 of 91 hotels in Funchal
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

With the collectively reviews from everyone, it's understandable why this hotel is not rated as high or gained some bad comments.

While this high-tech hotel have some major design flaws, I felt it is actually interesting to stay. It is one of those model house you see in the magazine that you would admire living in one but you will never feel like home you actually have to stay in it, so it's perfect if it's for staying at a hotel!

Like everyone says, I did have hard time initially figuring everything out (I'm in late 20's so I see myself as a semi high-tech person), the lights on the panel and water in the shower was not all that difficult once you calm yourself down to figure out how it works, it actually feel quite amazing when you know how to use it.

The design of the room is contemporary, the reasons I said it's perfect for a hotel because the room focus too much on the design and its apperance and lacks the practicability such as soap bottle is square (instead of round shape) that it took forever to open the cap and squeeze the gel out of it (this is why you don't see square shape bottle in any household products), while it is impractical, when you're not using it, you just feel it's different from what you are accustomed to in your daily life and this is the reasons why I don't want to lower its ratings because of the high-tech aspect, and design.

For the bed, if it's very large and and comfortable, although it could be quite loud from the street cause cars and motorcycle, during night time, it's not very bad (still some noise).
The view from our room (supposedly have some sort of sea view) was not as good as I expected, you have all these cables and buildings in front of you and the window for the sea view is actually really small. So don't expect that you will get a very nice view if you're staying at 2nd floor, higher floors might offer better view (although I think it only has 4 floors, so don't expect much)

The breakfast was very good, hash browns were extremely tasty, and they offer hot made-to-order items such as omelette which taste pretty good, however, the cooking was extremely slow, we stayed there for 3 breakfast, only the 1st one came before we finished our food and coffee. So we were full cause we waited and got more food before the hot item came.

The service was extremely good, everyone is very polite, friendly and genuine, and everyone speaks good English. The housekeeping could be better (that is because I have comparison with the job they did in Reid's Palace, can check out my reviews there).

We never got to use any facilities and they are small but the view from top roof to the city is nice.

Since we were on our anniversary trip, the hotel offered free champagne, and there is some sweets offered every day when we come back to our room. Not that it taste anything special, but it's a nice and kind gesture.

For the price we pay, I think it's worth it and I am quite satisfied, it's not "luxury" hotel but the friendly staff made up for it, the rooms are clean and new and modern, so if the high-tech aspect of this hotel threw it off, just think of it as a special stay to experience something different than the usual, you will feel a lot better and would appreciate what the hotel is trying to offer! =)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Lisbon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend and it really didn't comply with my expectations.
Firstly, I shall inform you that the hotel is placed over a shopping mall and you must enter the shopping center to access the hotel. It is awkward.
In general, I found the hotel pretensious and the rooms do not comply with 5* standards.
I shared a double room with a friend and we came across some "issues" during our stay. All the lights in the bedroom are controlled through a touch panel by the door (and a smaller one by the beds) that is absolutely dysfunctional and non practical. Besides, there are few blue light points on the panel that really upset you when you are trying to sleep. Furthermore, there are lights under the bed that automatically turn on when you move. I asked the reception and they could not be switched of, unless I remove the power card from the door room. As a result, whenever I got uo, my friend would also wake uo with the lights and vice versa.
Adittionally, the bathroom was also very incovenient. The toilette cabin waqs side by side with the shower cabin with dark glass doors (small privacy, as you can imagine) but the worst was the glass wall separating the cabins, wich was fully translucid and if you were having a shower, you would perfectely be visible for the toilette cabin and vice versa (just absurd). Short after I took my first shower (poor ameneties, by the way) both the cabins started discharging a horrible plums smell that has last for the hole weekend. We had to keep the window open, so thank god the weather was fine.
To charge our phones, tablets and switch hairdriers and other equipments, we only had to entries: one inside a drawer under the washing basin, and another one by the floor next to the door. Not convenient at all! Moreover, the floor of the shower cabin is made of small stones that can really hurt your feet (again absurd). Modern design is great, as long as it is confortable and apropriate, which clearly was not the case.
Another couple of friends that were travelling with us were even less luckier than we were since their room was really dark, having only a small window to an interior back yard, and the room was no bigger than the bed itself! They also felt terribly disappointed.
The positive aspects: the location wich is really great, the 360º skybar with an amazing terrace, beautiful roof top swimming pool and astonishing views to the sea, the montain and the city.
The food and the breakfast were impecable and the F&B staff extremely nice, tireless and attentive to all your needs.
Probably I would not stay here again since the prices are clearly excessive for the room standars and the quality provided, but I will definitely go back to have dinner or drinks at the sky bar/restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Nice design hotel in middle of Funchal on top of a big shopping center. Great rooms with for a start a somewhat special design, but you get used to it easily. Room has great comfort of beds and facilities. Breakfast with all fresh and delicious food to get you ready to start a new day well prepaired. Staff was fine but we didn't had a lot of contact, because everything went so fluently well organised. Swimmingpool on rooftop. Great view over city and relaxed place to sunbathe or read. Low on kids what we find very convenient.

• Stayed July 2012
Cambridgeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

A modern, unique hotel in excellent location in the centre of Funchal, which may not be to everyone's taste. However we enjoyed our stay there and would stay there again if we go back to Madeira. The bedroom was spacious, stylish, quirky and elegant but not entirely practical. The breakfast was excellent. The rooftop pool and cocktail bar area were stunning. All the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel sits on top of a shopping mall with many national and international brand stores as well as a food court. It is a bit strange at first, going in through the shopping mall doors, but once you arrive in reception from the elevator or the interesting Hollywood style staircase with deep purple carpet, you are in a place that combines calm with contemporary. The staff stand at their high desks and are very accommodating. I don't like the "stones" for seats in the reception area - they are uncomfortable and one cannot sit to read or relax in what is otherwise a very nice area. The toilets just off reception are of interesting design and beg a visit even if you don't have to go!
Our room was lovely, complete with Nespresso machine and coffee. I really loved how the base of the bed lights up and the view over the rooftops and beyond combined city and sea views. Our jacuzzi bath sat in the bedroom, behind the beautiful four poster bed. The design is lovely, although personally, I would have preferred a room where the bath was in another room. Bathroom amenities are top-notch and beautifully presented in small square bottles that ask to be taken home! The food here is wonderful. Breakfast is included in the room rate and features a wonderful selection of artisan breads, cheeses, fruit, etc. etc. and the coffee is really good. Lunch is great, with sushi offered as an alternative to local. Dinner at Uva Restaurant is world-class and prices reflect that quality. I didn't order, but I did note a good selection of wines and knowledgeable and friendly restaurant staff. This hotel also boasts a rooftop bar and swimming pools with 360 degree views. On a warm day or evening, this is where I was found, enjoying the clean air and spectacular views of city, mountains and sea. I found everywhere in this hotel to be spotlessly clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Budaors, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I started my holiday at The Cliff Bay on the Lido, but at home I decided to try this hotel as well. This hotel was also a good choice. It is not a resort, but more than just a business hotel in the center.

The hotel was clean and spacious with lovely communal areas.
The staff were very helpful. Breakfasts are a great selection that you can have something different every day and not get bored. The diner was also super at rest. Uva. The rooftop pool and area was also great with an amazing views. Spa area is wonderfully relaxing and has a great selection of treatments.

My room was comfortable, clean and spacious. Good design room with electric equipment :) There was almost everything in the room you would expect from a hotel of this class. But there was no coffe tea making facility(in 504). This was the only negative thing, but it was not a big problem for me :)
And last but not least I had a very spacious "bathroom" with a bath, shower and many articles of vanity, too.

If you really want, you can find small faults but do not mention it.

I got a very good deal and for what I paid for this hotel, it was good value for money.
If I come back to Madeira, I will stay for some days at this hotel again, I am sure!
I would recommend it for everyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
barrowford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Loved the Vine we were upgraded to a suite on the 2nd floor with a bath at the end of the bed and loungers, on the first night we had a bath watching a film sipping a drink pure luxury. The hotel staff were so helpful getting the correct soya milk, gluten free foods and grapefruits for my wife when we asked, there is no such thing as No. Awesome customer service.

The hotel is 15 mins from old tpwn walking which we did a few times, close to shops food and nightlife which suits the pace of Madeira.

The only thing the hotel lacks is sn indoor pool for when its cloudy and you want to do lengths.

Overall great hotel, food, rooms and staff totally recommend a stay if you want to be in the town close to restaurants and museums.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to The Vine, a divine hotel? Share your experiences!