With the collectively reviews from everyone, it's understandable why this hotel is not rated as high or gained some bad comments.
While this high-tech hotel have some major design flaws, I felt it is actually interesting to stay. It is one of those model house you see in the magazine that you would admire living in one but you will never feel like home you actually have to stay in it, so it's perfect if it's for staying at a hotel!
Like everyone says, I did have hard time initially figuring everything out (I'm in late 20's so I see myself as a semi high-tech person), the lights on the panel and water in the shower was not all that difficult once you calm yourself down to figure out how it works, it actually feel quite amazing when you know how to use it.
The design of the room is contemporary, the reasons I said it's perfect for a hotel because the room focus too much on the design and its apperance and lacks the practicability such as soap bottle is square (instead of round shape) that it took forever to open the cap and squeeze the gel out of it (this is why you don't see square shape bottle in any household products), while it is impractical, when you're not using it, you just feel it's different from what you are accustomed to in your daily life and this is the reasons why I don't want to lower its ratings because of the high-tech aspect, and design.
For the bed, if it's very large and and comfortable, although it could be quite loud from the street cause cars and motorcycle, during night time, it's not very bad (still some noise).
The view from our room (supposedly have some sort of sea view) was not as good as I expected, you have all these cables and buildings in front of you and the window for the sea view is actually really small. So don't expect that you will get a very nice view if you're staying at 2nd floor, higher floors might offer better view (although I think it only has 4 floors, so don't expect much)
The breakfast was very good, hash browns were extremely tasty, and they offer hot made-to-order items such as omelette which taste pretty good, however, the cooking was extremely slow, we stayed there for 3 breakfast, only the 1st one came before we finished our food and coffee. So we were full cause we waited and got more food before the hot item came.
The service was extremely good, everyone is very polite, friendly and genuine, and everyone speaks good English. The housekeeping could be better (that is because I have comparison with the job they did in Reid's Palace, can check out my reviews there).
We never got to use any facilities and they are small but the view from top roof to the city is nice.
Since we were on our anniversary trip, the hotel offered free champagne, and there is some sweets offered every day when we come back to our room. Not that it taste anything special, but it's a nice and kind gesture.
For the price we pay, I think it's worth it and I am quite satisfied, it's not "luxury" hotel but the friendly staff made up for it, the rooms are clean and new and modern, so if the high-tech aspect of this hotel threw it off, just think of it as a special stay to experience something different than the usual, you will feel a lot better and would appreciate what the hotel is trying to offer! =)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel with soul, just like a good wine. The Vine is sophisticated and luxurious. With a touch of simplicity and discretion, just the way you like it. A dip in the panoramic pool, a vino-therapy session in the spa or a gourmet dinner with a view over the city: these are just a few of the pleasures awaiting you at The Vine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, HostelWorld, Escapio, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Vine, a divine hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Vine, a Divine Hotel Hotel Funchal
- Vine a Divine Funchal
- The Vine, a Divine Hotel Madeira/Funchal