“A modern, unique hotel in excellent location in the centre of Funchel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Vine, a divine hotel

Save Saved
You added The Vine, a divine hotel to your Saves list
The Vine, a divine hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua dos Aranhas 27A, Funchal, Madeira 9000-044, Portugal   |
Ranked #17 of 91 hotels in Funchal
Cambridgeshire
“A modern, unique hotel in excellent location in the centre of Funchel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

A modern, unique hotel in excellent location in the centre of Funchal, which may not be to everyone's taste. However we enjoyed our stay there and would stay there again if we go back to Madeira. The bedroom was spacious, stylish, quirky and elegant but not entirely practical. The breakfast was excellent. The rooftop pool and cocktail bar area were stunning. All the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel sits on top of a shopping mall with many national and international brand stores as well as a food court. It is a bit strange at first, going in through the shopping mall doors, but once you arrive in reception from the elevator or the interesting Hollywood style staircase with deep purple carpet, you are in a place that combines calm with contemporary. The staff stand at their high desks and are very accommodating. I don't like the "stones" for seats in the reception area - they are uncomfortable and one cannot sit to read or relax in what is otherwise a very nice area. The toilets just off reception are of interesting design and beg a visit even if you don't have to go!
Our room was lovely, complete with Nespresso machine and coffee. I really loved how the base of the bed lights up and the view over the rooftops and beyond combined city and sea views. Our jacuzzi bath sat in the bedroom, behind the beautiful four poster bed. The design is lovely, although personally, I would have preferred a room where the bath was in another room. Bathroom amenities are top-notch and beautifully presented in small square bottles that ask to be taken home! The food here is wonderful. Breakfast is included in the room rate and features a wonderful selection of artisan breads, cheeses, fruit, etc. etc. and the coffee is really good. Lunch is great, with sushi offered as an alternative to local. Dinner at Uva Restaurant is world-class and prices reflect that quality. I didn't order, but I did note a good selection of wines and knowledgeable and friendly restaurant staff. This hotel also boasts a rooftop bar and swimming pools with 360 degree views. On a warm day or evening, this is where I was found, enjoying the clean air and spectacular views of city, mountains and sea. I found everywhere in this hotel to be spotlessly clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Budaors, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I started my holiday at The Cliff Bay on the Lido, but at home I decided to try this hotel as well. This hotel was also a good choice. It is not a resort, but more than just a business hotel in the center.

The hotel was clean and spacious with lovely communal areas.
The staff were very helpful. Breakfasts are a great selection that you can have something different every day and not get bored. The diner was also super at rest. Uva. The rooftop pool and area was also great with an amazing views. Spa area is wonderfully relaxing and has a great selection of treatments.

My room was comfortable, clean and spacious. Good design room with electric equipment :) There was almost everything in the room you would expect from a hotel of this class. But there was no coffe tea making facility(in 504). This was the only negative thing, but it was not a big problem for me :)
And last but not least I had a very spacious "bathroom" with a bath, shower and many articles of vanity, too.

If you really want, you can find small faults but do not mention it.

I got a very good deal and for what I paid for this hotel, it was good value for money.
If I come back to Madeira, I will stay for some days at this hotel again, I am sure!
I would recommend it for everyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
barrowford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Loved the Vine we were upgraded to a suite on the 2nd floor with a bath at the end of the bed and loungers, on the first night we had a bath watching a film sipping a drink pure luxury. The hotel staff were so helpful getting the correct soya milk, gluten free foods and grapefruits for my wife when we asked, there is no such thing as No. Awesome customer service.

The hotel is 15 mins from old tpwn walking which we did a few times, close to shops food and nightlife which suits the pace of Madeira.

The only thing the hotel lacks is sn indoor pool for when its cloudy and you want to do lengths.

Overall great hotel, food, rooms and staff totally recommend a stay if you want to be in the town close to restaurants and museums.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a Titan tour. The staff were all extremely helpful, polite and smartly turned out. The roof terrace had amazing views and the infinity pool was excellent. However, I would not chose to stay here again due to the rooms. Although immaculate and the maid service second to none the high technology was necessary. The lights worked as and when and at one stage I managed to plunge us into total darkness by hitting the switch by the bed which I thought would turn on the lights, my husband was in the shower at the time. The lights which turned on when you got out of bed were an excellent idea, however, they timed out far too quickly! The pebbles on the floor made life very difficult when walking in the bathroom/wet room/toilet area. We did not like the single screen between toilet and wet room, even after 40 years of marriage neither of us want to sit on the loo watching the other have a shower! The bath in the room, separated by another single glass panel from the bed.it was huge and would have taken a lifetime to fill, so we opted for the shower, however, everytime we turned the shower off we were blasted with cold water from the waterfall. Breakfast buffet good, although I had read on trip advisor about ordering eggs early, and did so, I still had to wait for 20 mins for them to arrive. The lady who took the orders did not appear to take responsiblity for delivering the orders to the kitchen and gave them to the very overworked waiters and waitresses I believe this may be the reason. I also found it unacceptable that a 5 star hotel should run out of apple juice and bacon when there was a supermarket underneath the hotel. Very central but would prefer to stay in hotels we visited when we went on a pleasant walk through the park.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in junior suite on 4th floor- winter theme. Absolutely fabulous! Loved the decor and the high tech electric curtains, blinds, lighting etc. the waterfall shower was a delight in itself. Restaurant also great for food and rooftop views. Breakfast tasty and varied. A great hotel- thoroughly worth a visit.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My friend and I have recently had a two night stay here and it surpassed our expectations. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, so we were offered champagne and so we enjoyed our champagne relaxing in the lounge. Our room was very large, the comfort of the beds was amazing. The hotel is unusual in that it has based its theme on the properties and growth of the vine; so therefore the flooring is like black pebbles throughout the hotel(not so good for high heels and sound proofing) but modern. The rooftop pool and area was fab. The lovely sunbeds, the infinity pool and the bar area was a great place to chill, have lunch, and the 'Happy Hour 18.00-20.00 was well worth attending, try the Champagne Mojitos!! The breakfast was buffet, well laid out and had everything you could want. There was also a menu for things that could be cooked in addition to what was displayed. The hotel was centrally located and took a few minutes to get to the main Avienida Arriaga. The only strange thing was that the entrance to the hotel was in the shopping mall and when we were dropped by taxi, there was no real evidence that a hotel was there. Once in the shopping mall, there are lifts either side and a sweeping stair case to take you to reception. The staff were always friendly and helpful and very smart. My friend and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Vine, a divine hotel? Share your experiences!