We stayed for 6 nights in late April and had a lovely ocean view room at the front, sixth floor. Massive deck area with sun for a lot of the day, but shade as well. Rooms are nice size and clean and tidy, very modern. Bathrooms a good size and good walk in shower/ wetroom but it leaks so remember to put a foot towel down!
Breakfast was pretty standard, nothing special and not much fresh fruit... But tinned?? Big selection of cold meats and cheese and the bread was lovely and fresh,though other pastries often stale. Nice omelettes, though ignore the amount of oil they are cooked in!
The pool area is nice, but can't imagine what it would be like if the hotel was full. Deck chairs average comfy and a nice view out to the sea. There was sometimes an issue with a lack of umbrellas, staff saying some were damaged in a storm the previous week. They really need to have that sorted and the deck chairs feel a little crammed in. Fine when It is empty, but would be awful if full.
Nothing hotel can do, but it is increasingly getting annoying when people who smoke monopolise outdoor spaces. As smokers are in the vast minority now, would love to see a hotel have smoking spaces only and not the total outdoors. Also, have smoking floors, enjoying our deck was often disrupted by next door smoking.
Another little bug bear that would set itself aside to a five star service. We rang reception and asked if we needed to book a table at a local restaurant. They said no. But when we got there they could have booked and got us a sea view side. We still had a table, but taking that iniative would surely set them apart.
We ate lunch at the pool a couple of times and nice sandwich for lunch, though burger my husband had not great. Loads of local restaurants and huge variety. All in all madeira was a pleasant surprise holiday destination.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Madeira is a modern and elegant five-star hotel with a contemporary design that will enhance the availability of quality accommodation options for both business and leisure travelers to Madeira Island. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and boasting magnificent sea views, the hotel is conveniently located a few meters of the sea, in close proximity to the small pebble beach, Gorgulho and offers direct access to the Oceanside promenade. The Resort offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, an indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. Elegantly-furnished rooms offer a balcony and cable TV. Some rooms of Meliã Madeira Mare include scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. Many of the hotel’s rooms also have a sitting area.Guests can relax in the jacuzzi and sauna at Meliã Madeira Mare’s spa. Massage treatments and a steam bath are also offered.Free parking is available. Madeira International Airport is a 25-minute drive away. Meliã Madeira Mare is a 5-minute walk from the center of the city.Meliã Madeira Mare’s restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and themed buffets for dinner. A la Carte menu is also available. The hotel’s pool bar provides refreshing beverages and light snacks for lunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Melia, Despegar.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort And Spa
- Sol Melia Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa Funchal