Just returned from a 7 day repeat visit to the Melia Mare Hotel.The Hotel is a beautiful designed modern hotel of the minimalist style and has a general atmosphere of calm and tranquility about it and is kept spotlessly clean in all areas.We opted to stay in a Master Suite this time and was not disappointed.The rooms was furnished to the highest standard with a massive double bed(not two singles pushed together)wardrobe and sideboard with a large wall mounted LCD TV.,A very comfortable seating area with a sofa,side table with large LCD TV and Tea/Coffee facilities and a dining table and chairs with a door leading off to the balcony.A small kitchenette was provided with a two ring hotplate,sink,microwave oven,full size fridge and all the kitchen utensils,cutlery,crockery etc.The bathroom had bath with hand held shower,rain fall shower cubicle,twin sinks and toilet with a ( glass? ) privacy door.The massive balcony had a dining table and chairs and sun loungers with parasol.All kept spotlessly clean.
We only booked bed and breakfast so cannot comment on the evening meals but going off the standard of the breakfast glad we hadn't booked evening meals.We had pre informed the hotel that my wife is Coeliac and would therefore require gluten free food.
The restaurant at breakfast time had hardly any staff on(,no maitre de for 5 of the 7 days )and trying to get hold of gluten free food was painful! The quality and variety of the breakfast food was at best mediocre.The fruit island had a selection of prepared fruits,melon,pineapple,grapes,kiwi,sliced oranges,tinned pears,tinned peaches.A small chiller with Danone yogurts with two flavoured yogurts(one with cereals so not gluten free)and plain yogurts,A large circular table with all manner of cakes,pastries,biscuits etc,none gluten free.Sliced sausage island with sliced ham(gluten free?doubtful)small selection of processed cheeses,fruit juices,cereals(none gluten free)milk,water and sparkling wine.A large circular table with bread rolls etc, (none gluten free),bowls of jam,honey,marmalade.
The hot food selection contained from right to left, all prepared in bain maries,Bacon,Tinned mushrooms,tinned cocktail sausages,Baked Beans,Grilled tomatoes.Pre made crepes with syrups,Chefs station,no one there for 80% of the time,where in theory you can order a fresh omelette!Next is the toaster with sliced bread(none gluten free)6 hash browns,bread and egg pudding(NGF),rubber textured fried eggs,scrambled eggs,hard boiled eggs,This selection never varied during our stay.On two of the days there was no hot plates available so had to use cold plates to put your warm food on,NOT good enough!
Although the lady chef was very nice when we asked for gluten free bread we was never offered any other type of gluten free food,ie cereals,biscuits,cakes.Most of the time there was no one to ask!The one time we got the chance to ask the maitre de for the gluten free bread he went off into the kitchen and never returned leaving us stood there like fools for 20 mins before the chef bobbed out and we collared her.Not acceptable in a 5 Star Hotel! All the staff we came into contact with was very polite and a special thanks to Marcos on reception.This is a man who knows what he is doing so if you need any assistance look out for him!
There are many varied places to eat within easy reach of the Hotel,depending on your tastes and further afield if you want to treat yourself there is the Michelin * Restaurant at the Cliff Bay just down the road.We used the Bella Ilha just across from the hotel and can highly recommend.A lot of the locals use this small but comfortable place but be aware if you sit inside near the door we will get smoke drift from the small outside seating area!Great food though and excellent staff.The Qasbah on the lower promenade is also very good and if the weather is good they have a lovely outside dining area looking out over the ocean.
Pingo Doce have a supermarket on the upper road above the hotel with a self service cafe and there is a massive Pingo Doce on the lower promenade road,down the hill and turn left,approx 500m.
Do explore Funchal,it is a beautiful city and very pedestrian friendly and a great place to explore even though the traffic can be heavy at times.
We enjoyed our holiday,even with the storms! but are sorry the hotel couldn't meet our expectations this time with regards the breakfasts and are not sure if we would make further reservations.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort And Spa
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel
- Sol Melia Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Madeira is a modern and elegant five-star hotel with a contemporary design that will enhance the availability of quality accommodation options for both business and leisure travelers to Madeira Island. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and boasting magnificent sea views, the hotel is conveniently located a few meters of the sea, in close proximity to the small pebble beach, Gorgulho and offers direct access to the Oceanside promenade. The Resort offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, an indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. Elegantly-furnished rooms offer a balcony and cable TV. Some rooms of Meliã Madeira Mare include scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. Many of the hotel’s rooms also have a sitting area.Guests can relax in the jacuzzi and sauna at Meliã Madeira Mare’s spa. Massage treatments and a steam bath are also offered.Free parking is available. Madeira International Airport is a 25-minute drive away. Meliã Madeira Mare is a 5-minute walk from the center of the city.Meliã Madeira Mare’s restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and themed buffets for dinner. A la Carte menu is also available. The hotel’s pool bar provides refreshing beverages and light snacks for lunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Expedia, Melia, Tingo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Otel and Venere so you can book your Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.