We got a cheap deal at this hotel for a week on half board basis.
On arrival we were parked our hire car in the secure underground car park then made our way to reception. We we instantly impressed by the large, well decorated public area and the checking in process was efficient with pleasant staff.
We went to the room which was impressive with a comfortable bed and nice bathroom. We had a nice side sea view. Looking at the layout of the hotel I would think that almost every room has some view of the sea.
There was a well set out pool area with a bar. Towels and lounger cushions were provided and again there was a good view of the sea.
Some minor niggles were the lack of milk in the room. Two small UHT pots really does not suffice but due to the refrigerated mini bar we were able to get fresh milk from the spar shop 25 yards away opposite the hotel.
From my limited experience of 5 star hotels the food provided was not 5 star food.
It was perfectly acceptable for the price we had paid and was always well presented but the chef really should taste his food before it gets sent out as on a number of occasions far too much salt had been used and I like plenty of salt. My partner had to leave food due to too much salt. Some meals were swimming in grease too.
The first night we were there it was a hot buffet and I found this to be really nice but the remaining meals were table d'hôte with waiter service. I think this was due to the lack of guests on the week we were there. The service was very pleasant and efficient and generally the meals were very nice but just didn't quite hit the mark. Bread served in the evening was not the freshest and probably left over from the morning.
Little choice for dessert, either cheese and biscuits or fruit with a couple of what appeared to be bought in puddings such as fairly tasteless cheesecake or tiramisu.
Very big selection for breakfast. Buffet style with good omelettes cooked while you wait. Excellent continental breakfast. Cooked breakfast not quite so good. The bacon had been cooked in the oven and had the consistency of beef jerky. Coffee was a bit wishy washy.
Don't let my criticism of the food put you off. I am a little fussy but overall it was quite nice and tasty just expected a little better from a five star hotel.
If I was booking the hotel direct I would go for the b & b option and eat out at night. Some nice restaurants in the immediate area and Funchal centre a short taxi or bus ride away.
Overall a lovely 5 star hotel and a great stay only slightly marred by the quality of the food.
I would stay here again in an instant.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort And Spa
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel
- Sol Melia Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa Funchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Madeira is a modern and elegant five-star hotel with a contemporary design that will enhance the availability of quality accommodation options for both business and leisure travelers to Madeira Island. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and boasting magnificent sea views, the hotel is conveniently located a few meters of the sea, in close proximity to the small pebble beach, Gorgulho and offers direct access to the Oceanside promenade. The Resort offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, an indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. Elegantly-furnished rooms offer a balcony and cable TV. Some rooms of Meliã Madeira Mare include scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. Many of the hotel’s rooms also have a sitting area.Guests can relax in the jacuzzi and sauna at Meliã Madeira Mare’s spa. Massage treatments and a steam bath are also offered.Free parking is available. Madeira International Airport is a 25-minute drive away. Meliã Madeira Mare is a 5-minute walk from the center of the city.Meliã Madeira Mare’s restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and themed buffets for dinner. A la Carte menu is also available. The hotel’s pool bar provides refreshing beverages and light snacks for lunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Sol Melia, Agoda, Olotels, Otel, Priceline, Venere, Hotels.com, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.