We stayed here for a week just before Christmas and loved it. The Melia is only a few years old, very modern and ideally situated with the back of the hotel facing the sea. We had a side room on the 8th floor facing east with a part view of the sea and great morning sun.
The centre of Funchal is approximately 15-20 minutes walk or 5-10 minutes by bus or car.
The choice of breakfast was amazing, everything you could possibly want, although the fried eggs were a bit rubbery and the bacon overcooked, but to be fair there was free champagne to wash it down!
The staff were very pleasant and helpful, particularly one of the bar waiters who was exceptional.
One evening, guests were invited by management to an informal meeting in the bar area with complimentary drinks and snacks to air their thoughts on their stay at the hotel-good or bad.
We mentioned our dislike of UHT milk which all the hotels we've stayed in provide in the rooms with the coffee/tea making facilities.On returning to our room that evening from dinner at a local restaurant, a jug of fresh milk was promptly delivered to our room. We were impressed!
There are shops and restaurant nearby, Tokos restaurant being our favourite, less than 10 minutes walk, so good we ate there twice. We will definitely be using this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Madeira is a modern and elegant five-star hotel with a contemporary design that will enhance the availability of quality accommodation options for both business and leisure travelers to Madeira Island. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and boasting magnificent sea views, the hotel is conveniently located a few meters of the sea, in close proximity to the small pebble beach, Gorgulho and offers direct access to the Oceanside promenade. The Resort offers free Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas, an indoor and outdoor pool and a spa. Elegantly-furnished rooms offer a balcony and cable TV. Some rooms of Meliã Madeira Mare include scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from the balcony. Many of the hotel’s rooms also have a sitting area.Guests can relax in the jacuzzi and sauna at Meliã Madeira Mare’s spa. Massage treatments and a steam bath are also offered.Free parking is available. Madeira International Airport is a 25-minute drive away. Meliã Madeira Mare is a 5-minute walk from the center of the city.Meliã Madeira Mare’s restaurant serves a breakfast buffet and themed buffets for dinner. A la Carte menu is also available. The hotel’s pool bar provides refreshing beverages and light snacks for lunch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Melia, Venere, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Otel, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madeira Mare Hotel Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort And Spa
- Sol Melia Funchal
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa Funchal