“A nice palce” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 26 Specialty Lodging in Funchal
Radom, Poland
“A nice palce”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hospedaria Por do Sol may do not look great at first glance, but is a nice place to spend a few day in Funchal. It's located in an old house which has its atmosphere. The room was arranged with old furniture, that gives it a special style. The only drawback was a view from the window on some roofs, but you don't expact a sea view for that price. In general very positive impression.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

the hotel is really cheap and the ratio price/value is very good. the room was not very big, but clean and with a beautiful view of Funchal. the cleaning was done everyday. i was satisfied with the breakfast considering the small price i paid. moreover the location is good, close to the city centre by foot.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
East Sussex, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

Hello everybody,

My elder sister lives on the island of Madeira, and I was invited to visit her in November to celebrate her birthday. However, although I was invited to stay at her home, to be truthful I prefer to stay in a hotel, partly because I enjoy my independence and I also like to be centrally placed for sightseeing and other interests, and my sister lives in a rather remote part of the island which really effectively ruled out any possibility of my staying at her home for the duration of my stay.

Hence, I booked myself a single room for seven nights on a bed and breakfast basis at the 'Hospedaria Por do Sol' in Funchal using the 'Booking' website, after I had made my travel arrangements over the internet with 'Easyjet' who charged me just £60.98 for a return flight from Gatwick to Funchal after I had sought out and availed myself of one of their special offers.

At this point I must mention that being a pensioner, my travel budget has to be carefully monitored, and that when making my reservations for hotel accommodation, price is a major consideration, although I always check beforehand with 'Trip Advisor' and other hotel review sites that my chosen hotel is of an acceptable standard. Fortunately my hotel needs are not very demanding, and simple board in a clean establishment together with at least a cup of coffee and some toast or cereal in the morning is adequate for myself - but I would add at this point that if you are seeking a 'Five-Star' luxury hotel the 'Hospedaria Por do Sol' is most certainly not the place for you as it is quite basic.

The hotel was very easy to access from the airport, and I would suggest that one avoids travelling by the 'airport bus' to Funchal (the fare is €5) as it sets its' passengers down on the seafront in Funchal, which is not particularly convenient for the hotel, especially if you have luggage to carry. Instead, take the 'SAM' bus company's normal service bus from the airport to Funchal(walk out of the terminal building - turn right - and the bus stop & bus shelter is at the furthermost point just at the far end of the terminal building.) Take care, however - buses in both directions leave from this same stop, so do make sure that you board the correct bus. There is a bus timetable posted in the bus shelter which with common sense is easily understood, and the bus fare to Funchal from the airport costs just €2.65 which you pay the driver upon boarding the bus. The primary reason why I have suggested that you should catch the 'SAM' bus rather than the dedicated airport bus is that this bus terminates at the 'SAM' bus station at Rua Calouste Gulbenkian, which is a busy street in the western part of Funchal, and which is extremely well placed for the hotel which is just a five minute walk away from the bus station;(walk up the hill from the bus station, and take the second turning on the left hand side, and the hotel is on the right about 100 metres up the hill.) On your return home buses back to the airport leave from this same bus station, and there is an enquiry office there where you can check and obtain a leaflet of the airport bus times, so that you may plan ahead and will not miss your flight back home.

'Hospedaria Por do Sol' is located in a side street called Calcada da Cabouqueira which is about a ten to fifteen minute uphill walk from the seafront by the docks, and it is situated next door to a typical side street bar,(which serves good chilled local beer for just €1) and the hotel's reception desk is located on the first floor of the building in which it is located, and is accessed by a flight of stairs up from the street, and additionally there are further stairs from the reception up to the bedrooms, so if you have difficulty with stairs it would be perhaps be best to give this hotel a miss as there is no lift.

However the hotel is very conveniently situated for the post office(to send your postcards back home!) together with the sea front and docks, and a very good supermarket(Pingo Doce)together with the rest of Funchal town centre which is a short(although sometimes hilly)walk away. As a point of interest the 'Pingo Doce' supermarket opposite the bus station has an excellent cafeteria which was open each day and evening where it was possible to purchase tasty and substantial meals and drinks at a fraction of the prices charged by the restaurants in the tourist parts of Funchal - and there are no prizes for guessing where I tended to eat during my stay, and the dishes there were changed every day. This self service cafeteria comes highly recommended, and it is quite possible to order wines and beers to go with your meals too.

'Hospedaria Por do Sol' although basic, is clean and the staff were most pleasant to me during the course of my stay. It is however very cheap which influenced my decision to stay there, and my stay on a bed and breakfast basis worked out in English currency cost me just £17.00 for each night, which in my opinion was great value for money in these days for such a centrally placed hotel in such a lovely location. Breakfast which consisted of a glass of orange juice, a pot of coffee or tea, corn flakes if you wanted them, and a couple of fresh bread rolls with butter and cheese slices or strawberry jam was sufficient enough to start you off for the day, and was served from 8am until 10am.

The hotel had a lounge with television, and a most pleasant sun terrace for guests' use led off from this lounge.

My room (Room No.23) was adequate for my needs, there were in fact two single beds, one at each end of the room, and it had its' own loo, shower, and wash basin and a television capable of receiving thirty-
three channels (many of them in English) was provided. There was a splendid view of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean from the bedroom, and there was a small balcony which was greatly appreciated by myself bearing in mind the warm and sunny weather which prevails here for most of the year. The only negative aspect of my room was that rather a low wattage light bulb was fitted which made reading difficult after dark ... but, then for the low price that I paid for my room, I myself accept that this is a minor gripe and I am most certainly not complaining, as I do realize that the hotel's costs have to be kept to a minimum in order for them to continue offering such cheap rates to their guests.

In a nutshell, if you are on a tight budget, such as me - do give the 'Hospedaria Por do Sol' your custom and stay there, I think that you will be pleased with it especially when you consider the most reasonable rates which they charge............and yes, when I next visit my sister in Madeira I will most certainly book a room there again!

Regards to you all;
Roger.
Peacehaven, East Sussex, England, UK.

• Liked — The delightful view of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean from my bedroom.
  • Disliked — It was very difficult to read in my bedroom after dark as the room lighting was very dim.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hospedaria Por do Sol? Share your experiences!