“lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 restaurants in Chacombe
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub, Family Fare
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub, in a idyllic surrounding. Set in the peaceful village of Chacombe, the George and Dragon is only 1 mile from junction 11 of the M40. The George and dragon is the perfect place for all occasions, whether it be for entertaining corporate lunches during the day, cosy dinners, family get togethers or a drink with your friends. The pub dates back to the 17th century and still has original beams and fire places. During an extension 20 years ago a hidden well was discovered, which has long become a big attraction of the pub, along with the unique brass bar. There is a large patio area which can seat up to 40 people during the long and thirsty summer months.
Hastings, United Kingdom
“lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Food wonderful and different things on menu. Comfortable and very charming pub. The group I was with had belly pork, beetroot & butternut squash risotto and I had chilli con carne lasagne, Unusual but very tasty

Visited August 2013

87% Recommend
“What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I decided to make the most of the good weather and had day out in Oxford a couple weeks ago. On our way back up the M40 we decided to have a look on tripadvisor for somewhere nice to eat that evening and we ended up finding this hidden gem.

We hadn't booked but thought we'd chance it anyway. Fortunately they had a table for us but it was about the only free table in the whole place. I'd recommend booking.

The food was lovely. I had the carpaccio of beef to start followed by a rather large Yorkshire pudding filled with mash, sausages and onion gravy. They weren't joking when they said giant Yorkshire! My partner went straight in for the pan fried Sea bass and then we shared a white chocolate and Oreo cheesecake. I gather she enjoyed it because I barely got a taste.

The service was fantastic and the atmosphere was vibrant. We will definitely return time and time again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Good value, pleasant ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We chose the G&D based on reviews and were not disappointed. It's an attractive pub with well kept beers. We stuck with the burgers and all were very good quality, taste and value. The deserts were fine, though the espresso was rather bland. There were sufficient customers to give the place some atmosphere but not too many, nor too loud. We wouldn't hesitate to return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Banbury, United Kingdom
“good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

nice little village pub just 5 minutes from Banbury, good food and nice choice at lunchtime when visited,the evening menu looks good too, staff excellent but service was a little slow.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brackley, United Kingdom
“'The Governor'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I took a client out for lunch here and the service and food were spot on! We were greeted by a friendly landlord in a traditional English pub setting, just a couple of minutes from the M40.

I enjoyed it so much I booked a table for my fiancée and some friends of ours for the following Friday where we were able to appreciate the ambience of the evening as well as some of the beverages (including some interesting Japanese whisky!)

I had the Governor burger the first time and the steak the second, both were superb, made even more special by the very attentive service.

Highly recommended!