“Sintra is a great town, and Casa do Valle is a must!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa do Valle

You added Casa do Valle to your Saves list
Casa do Valle
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Rua da Paderna 5, Sintra 2710-604, Portugal   |
Ranked #4 of 22 Sintra B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Sintra is a great town, and Casa do Valle is a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My fiance and I stayed only one night at Casa do Valle, as when planning our Portugal vacation we weren't sure if we wanted to see Sintra (so touristed). I am so glad that we visited Sintra. It is such a beautiful town. And there are reasons it is so touristed: the amazing palaces and castles and views! Definitely worth at least 24 hours of your trip.

And staying with Virpi as Casa do Valle is a must if you do stop off in Sintra! She is extremely professional, prompt, friendly, and responsive to email, which I really appreciate. The guesthouse is wonderful; the room is clean, well-appointed, and the shower head delightful! We stayed in room 4. It was really nice; but in Casa do Valle (property is shared with Casa Da Vista), I think the best views must be from Rooms 5 and 6.

I love Virpi's system for breakfast. I usually am a grump in the AM, so sharing breakfast with all the other guests in a dining room is not my scene. Instead, she delivers to you the breakfast at the time you designate, so you can enjoy it in your room and on your balcony. awesome!

Free wifi excellent; takes credit cards--excellent; prices--excellent!

The location is excellent. Plenty of parking abound. Yes it is an uphill walk to the center of town, but it is short, it is good for you, and Sintra is full of hills so there's no avoiding them.

Hope to return someday!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
kaitsuSintra, Owner at Casa do Valle, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Yes, Sintra is definitely worth the visit! A day or two or three easily can be filled with activities, all year around. I am sure that many things were left for you to see next time.

So glad our breakfast system worked well for you and that you enjoyed your stay in general. The shower heads are 'rain' heads - and the hand shower with the massage option. A good shower after a days tracking is indeed nice!

Hope to see you again another time in Sintra and Casa do Valle!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We spent a week staying here in June.
The rooms were a good size, with everything we needed (kettle, toaster, cork screw etc) and anything the room didn't have we just had to ask for, it was not a problem.
They even provided wi-fi and computer access which I wasn't expecting.
The pool was lovely. I wasn't quite brave enough to go for a swim but I did dip my feet in.
The temperatures when we went were variable. We had a couple of days of showers and then hotter weather towards the end of the week.

The property is in a beautiful location with great views of the mountain, castle and palace.

It's probably not the best place to stay if you have walking difficulties as the property itself is on a hill and so is on a number of levels.
And then it is a 5-10min up-hill walk into Sintra town centre.

Sintra itself is a very touristy town, so is full of bus loads of tourists during the day, but then very quiet at night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
kaitsuSintra, Owner at Casa do Valle, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for a nice review! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Casa do Valle.

The temperatures have continued the same as when you were here, some days are good, some have morning/night rains, I guess you can never count with the weather these days! Fruits are ready though, one by one, this time it is loquats.

I think the pool temperatures are a bit higher as people are indeed swimming now daily, and it should be so until October at least. The water is 23 degrees now and rising.
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Oh where to begin...this is a most fabulous B & B in Sintra. We stayed for only 3 nights on our way to Viseu from Lisbon, and loved everything about this place. We had the suite, a two room unit with a separate, very comfortable bedroom, a living room with a sofa and table and kitchen, and a bathroom. So I guess that's three rooms :) There were two sets of wall to wall windows that overlooked the forest with sheep bleating and palaces and castles in the hills above. The furniture outside our room, on the huge deck, was nice and we had a picnic one day after I had a massage in my room, which was wonderful, by the way. The lady came to my room with her folding table, music, candles and aromatherapy oil. All I had to do was lie still and wish the massage would never end.

Breakfast was delivered each morning at our chosen time, which we ate on the deck in the sunshine. It was all delicious and the coffee was warm and strong, just how we like it. Virpi and her daughter, Marta, were always friendly and very helpful. They really want their guests to love the place, and it seems like everyone does. One afternoon I took a nap in the hammock, and another day in the day bed. Dreamy comes to mind, with a cool breeze in the air. The pool also looked lovely, and I spent some time reading by it, but didn't actually go in.

The walk to historical Sintra is about 10 minutes, up hill, with cars rushing down, but it is safe and seems very quick to get to the town. All the surrounding streets, and areas, are beautiful, like a fairy tale land. We ate dinner at GSpot one night, near the train station, and it was very special. We had the tasting menu and delicious wine and another night we ate at Restaurante de Sintra and this was also good, and more traditional than GSpot. The walk is lovely at night, with Sintra lit up and the moon shining above your head.

One day we took a horse carriage ride to Monseratt palace and had a wine and cheese picnic while the carriage waited. This was 90 euros and worth every penny! We also went to Pena Palace and walked to the Moorish castle, and visited two other palaces; all were stunning. There is so much to do in Sintra and I'm glad we stayed for four days. I can't imagine going to Sintra for the day because so much would be missed. And yes, we would have been happy to stay longer. Maybe next time we will :)

Room Tip: All the rooms look great. The two room suite seems especially nice, and for only a few more euros.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
kaitsuSintra, Owner at Casa do Valle, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! We do try to make the surroundings enjoyable and feel glad when you tell us it's worked for you!

The masseuse that comes to Casa da Vista is indeed very good and skilled - pleased that you enjoyed the massage in your room. The carriage ride, in my opinion, is an excellent way to get an authentic experience in the once royal Sintra; that is why we have a deal with the company and can get discounts for our guests. Both the massage and the carriage ride are all services we provide through other entities - they will also be glad to read your review that I will now forward to them.

We will make sure that we can provide something as relaxing for you next time, if you do come and stay with us again.
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed in Casa da Vista for 18 days and each day we became more and more convinced what a perfect choice me made. This B&B is situated very close to the city centre but on a very quite street, and the grounds of the hotel are so tranquil, so relaxing - no noise at all will bother you but the bird songs in the morning))
The room enchants you from the very beginning – floor to ceiling windows look fantastic and make the room so light and airy! The room itself is big enough with plenty of space to move and put your staff and very comfortable for two people, tastefully decorated and very thought over - has a big wardrobe with plenty of clothes hangers, full-size mirror, little fridge and wonderful bathroom with Algotherm cosmetic kit (nice surprise). But the best thing was the bed and the mattress – sooo comfortable, with low pillows and lightweight duvet, we had such a wonderful sleep all the time during our stay! We never noticed when the bed linen was changed but it was always fresh and very nice quality, same thing about the towels. Cleaning ladies did their work very well – never saw them in our room but it was always spotlessly clean with fresh flowers from the hotel grounds.
Also there is a wonderful terrace with some furniture (also very comfortable) where you can enjoy your port wine or vinho verde, sunset and – the views! Here they are - Moorish castle, Pena palace and Quinta da Regaleira, all the main Sintra’s treasures for you to enjoy))
What else? Clothes washing is available free of charge once per week of your stay (there is no laundry in Sintra). Internet which is available in a funny little house near the lemon tree works very fast. On the hotel grounds something is always blooming or going to start blooming – so charming. Swimming pool is fantastic, sun loungers are (yes, again) very comfortable, we brought home lot of photos when it’s raining, just stopped raining, going to rain right now and a wonderful sun tanned skin - Portugal is full of surprises and is a truly wonderful country)) Virpi’s dutch dog Pandora is a beauty and Virpi is a very patient, very helpful, a real pleasure to talk and to deal with, and a great manager.
When going to Sintra we were planning some trekking in Sintra-Cascais Nature Park. With no doubt I can say that it’s one more of Sintra treasures! This nature park is huge, with a little lack of signs (though some maps are available), but plenty of tracks going up and down for miles and miles with not a single person around! The forest itself consists of pines and eucalyptus, so the air there is just sweet and stunning, with beautiful view of mountains and Atlantic ocean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
kaitsuSintra, Owner at Casa do Valle, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for a most wonderful review! We are all so happy you liked staying with us. We try to take extra care to be available but not to bother our guests, and we are glad that we were able to find that balance to your liking. Our maids were very happy as well about your comments, as they also want to give our guests a relaxing time in comfortable surroundings. Maybe we will see you again another time - and maybe by then some of the walking paths will be better marked, this is in fact one of the things I know that is being worked on in Sintra.
Thank you once again, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I stayed at Casa da Vista over Christmas. Virpi, the owner of this and Casa do Valle, went well beyond the call of duty to make our stay wonderful and relaxing. She helped us book a Christmas pony and trap ride before we arrived, advised us on which restaurants and attractions were open over Christmas, and even lent my elderly(ish) mother Norwegian walking poles to help with Sintra's many beautiful-but-steep hills.
Many of Sintra's stunning sites are very close to the B&B, but I strongly recommend the car tour that they can organise to get up into the more distant forested hills and out to the coast (lunch at gorgeous beachfront fish restaurant). The driver / guide is very well informed, fun and extremely chatty (in a good way!).
All five or so rooms at Casa da Vista are large, with a huge glass wall facing out over the wooden deck to the little valley, which has lemon trees opposite, the Atlantic at the far end and the Moorish castle ruins far above. You order breakfast the night before and it arrives in a pretty little picnic basket. Everything comes with crisp, clean, airy Scandinavian style, all part of a very relaxing stay.
Virpi says it can rain plenty in December, but we had gorgeous sunshine throughout, so I'd strongly recommend Sintra in winter: we certainly avoided the hordes of summer day trippers other people mention. We stayed four nights, and I want to go back to see the castles we had no time for: Sintra is just stunning, probably the highlight of two weeks in Portugal.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
kaitsuSintra, Owner at Casa do Valle, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
So glad you enjoyed your time with us! Christmas season is indeed great as it has less people, tourist-wise, all around. The horse and carriage ride gets you into the nature and when you are informed you can plan your days so that you visit the sites even during the holiday season! I will forward your comments to the driver/guide of the tour, he too will be pleased to know that his services are appreciated.

Thank you for choosing us, and welcome again to see the palaces you 'missed'.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I can't speak more highly of this b&b. The rooms were cozy and warm. The beds comfortable. The people were exceptionally reaching out. Virpi was there to help us when our friend was pick pocketed. We felt so taken care of being in a foreign land.

Room Tip: There are steps leading up and down to the rooms. They aren't steep, but you should know about t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
kaitsuSintra, Owner at Casa do Valle, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you! So glad you are home safely and can think of your trip to Portugal with fond memories, even after the unpleasant pickpocketing situation in Lisbon.
You are so right about the steps - Sintra is in the mountain and we are on a slope, so our ground does have steps between the levels. This is also why we have the wonderful views over the valley to the mountain!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Casa da Vista and Casa do Valle (same owner, shared property) are charming B&Bs that offer a "Romantic" package for couples. My husband and I decided to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in Sintra, Portugal and selected Casa do Valle for our lodging. The package comes with various treats (bottle of wine, souvenir gift, etc) but what I liked best was the horse and carriage ride up the mountain and entrance to the Montserrat gardens. The gardens are stunning and underrated! I only wish that I'd had more time to walk the grounds. The carriage driver, who speaks no English, indicated that we had 40 minutes to visit while he rested the horses. I could have spent much longer. Later, I learned that one can just pay him for extra wait time. Even so, it was a very romantic start to the 3 day visit. We followed up this experience with in-room massages (an extra expense, but well worth it), and then dinner at a local restaurant that Virpi recommended. It was wonderful.

The room itself was lovely. Only a couple of years old, Casa do Valle offers private, comfortable rooms with a lovely view of the mountain. Breakfast is served in the room (or in our case, on the deck), and the meal is simple but very good (yogurt, granola, coffee with hot milk, fruit and juice). There are other choices too.

Virpi really tries to make the experience everything her guests want. For instance, she arranged to rent mountain bikes for us so that we could ride out to the beach for the day. For a reasonable fee, she offered to prepare a picnic lunch to take along. Since we declined, she made a wonderful lunch recommendation instead. The day was beautiful!

I would whole heartedly recommend these properties for any traveller visiting Sintra. You won't be disappointed in your accommodations or in beautiful Sintra.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
kaitsuSintra, Owner at Casa do Valle, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for your review! So glad you enjoyed the romantic package - and the massages - and the biking! We will actually have a new package that will include the bikes, as we already have one for the massages as well. We take great care to try to have packages that work for all guests, as some come to Sintra to be active, others to relax. It is good to know that we are going in the right direction, so thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Been to Casa do Valle? Share your experiences!