“A Good Show so you can tick the Fado box!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fado in Chiado

Fado in Chiado
Rua da Misericordia 14 | 2 andar, Lisbon 1249-038, Portugal (Chiado & Carmo)
+351 21 343 0184
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Recommended
$19*
and up
Best Live Fado Show in Lisbon: 'Fado in Chiado'
Sydney, Australia
274 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 260 helpful votes
“A Good Show so you can tick the Fado box!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The performers - one male singer & one female singer plus three musicians, were all very talented, but the genre is very repetitive, especially when it is in Portuguese. If you want to see a good Fado show, this is the one.
Tips: We had the Lisbon Card, so we received a discount on the ticket price. We went to the theatre to purchase our tickets directly. You can ring to make a booking before purchasing tickets, which we did. Get there 30 minutes before the show and line up immediately if you want to pick your seat as the seating is free, not allocated.

Visited October 2013
7 Thank HAVEFUN000

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Changed my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Fado has never been my cup of tea, but recently I went to see the Fado in Chiado in Lisbon and it definitely changed my thoughts on Fado. The performances are great and they involve the audience which was also great. It is a MUST when visiting Lisboa especially when you want to see and experience Portugese culture!!!!

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Teresa D
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I was expecting more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Interesting performance, but I was expecting more. But... Fado it's a must when visiting Lisboa if you want to feel the music.

Visited July 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank Barabincek
Staffanstorp, Sweden
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“55 minutes of the Portugese soul”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

We were told to visit a Fado club to get to know the Portugese culture so we did. It took us 2 days to find a place that were open as we did not know these places are closed on Sundays. Anyhow, we got the tickets and we enjoyed it very much!

I can only confirm that you should not miss Fado when you visit Lissabon

1 Thank Nilsson_Staffanstorp
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not my cup of tea.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had a local shop owner recommend we go to Fado in Chiado, to experience the lament filled sound of Portugal. It's an hour long show, in a small hall, with two singers, and two guitar players. Frankly for me it lacked any of the romance I had expected. I really enjoy seeing local music in it's natural environment, and Fado in Chiado is not Fado's natural environment, with lines of seating, crazy led lighting, and a powerpoint style slideshow. It's felt like a performance in a school hall not an echo of Portugal's heritage.

Now as I said in the title, it's not my cup of tea in terms of how I like to enjoy music. However the music itself was good, an interesting insight into the national identity of Portugal. I thought the Portuguese Guitar player was particularly excellent.

It's fairly good value, 40 Euro for two people. However I would still suggest trying to find a small, smokey bar and see Fado in it's natural habitat!

Visited September 2013
4 Thank CheekyBeagle
FadoinChiado, Owner at Fado in Chiado, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear all,

Only to clarify that the ticket price is 16€ per person, so 2 tickets are 32€.

Best Regards