“Zuzabed the best place to be in Lisbon” 5 of 5 stars

ZUZABED & Breakfast B&B, Apartments and Villas
Calcada do Duque, 29 - 2, Lisbon 1200-155, Portugal   |
Ranked #6 of 134 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Marseille, France
“Zuzabed the best place to be in Lisbon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I highly recomand Zuzabed !

I travel few times a year in Lisbon for many years now and, honestly, Zuzabed is the best place I've found in the portuguese capital.

Beyond the perfect situation in the famous area "Bairro Alto" with a great view of St Georges castle (from the terrasse), Luis, is the best owner and helpful guide possible in English, French and Spanish. Always smiling, always ready to help you. So kind.

If you wake up on time (Lisbon is a great city to party lately...), the breakfast is amazing : huge fresh daily fruit salad, ham, cheese, eggs cooked at your desire...

If you want to discover this great city in the best conditions, almost like home, one adress : Zuzabed !!!

French Fan.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

508 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I've just returned from a great holiday in Lisbon where I stayed at Zuzabed. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Not only is it in a perfect location (down the stairs to the city centre and up the stairs to gorgeous hip bars and shops) it is tastefully decorated and Luis and his team made me feel as welcome as if I were in my own home but better - loads of delcious food (no shortage of cake!) and new sightseeing tips everyday. Zuzabed made my first trip to Portugal one I will never forget.

Room Tip: Just tell Luis what you are looking for.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mill Valley CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I don't need to reiterate what others have said. We stayed in Luis' grand apartment in the Chiado district during October. It is well well located close to many resaurants, stores etc. There was plenty of room and the apartment had a clothes washer but not a dryer. We were given a refrigerator full of eating stuff. We were given a phone to contact Luis and his staff should we need help. Also we spent a few hours one evening in front of one of his places, drank wine and talked to several other of his guests who were also visiting Lisbon. We really like the apartment.

Room Tip: Spend a litle more and get an apartment especially if you don't care about breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Though Zuzu B&B is a wonderful place with comfortable beds, huge breakfasts and a tremendous view overlooking Lisbon and the Castelo, the part you will remember most is becoming part of Luis' family for a few days. The other reviews say it well... We've stayed with great hosts throughout Europe and Asia and have never met anyone so dedicated, thorough and generous in taking care of his guests. Although it was raining for much of our visit that hardly made made a dent, both due to Luis and his team and due to Lisbon itself, incredibly friendly and helpful people. Why did we take so long before visiting?

• Stayed December 2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I spent one night in the Zuza Guesthouse, then three nights in the B&B. Both were EXCELLENT. I had just come from a week in Porto in a modern hotel, that really could have been in any city in any country. I was so happy that I made the decision to stay in a friendly and easy-going B&B...and I was especially happy that I chose Zuza!! I truly felt like I was in Portugal, staying with a cool friend. Luis and his crew understand hospitality and go above and beyond to make your stay comfortable- but it's not that fussy service you get at more stuffy B&Bs. I was so surprised to be handed a cell phone for my stay, so that I could call them if I had any issues. My suitcase was lost by TAP, so Luis had the heart to check on the status of it and receive it at 1am for me (and Nuno moved it to the B&B the next day)!! I felt like I had instant friends in beautiful Lisbon. To top it all off, Luis took me out for a drink and snack at the nearby Buenos Aires Cafe with his lovely friend Luis (#2) on my last night (the gorgonzola and pear dip with endive was to die for!!). I felt like a local enjoying a nice evening out.

All the reviews are correct that, yes, the rooms are European-sized (you ARE in Europe people!). The bathrooms have to be installed in gorgeous, older, traditional buildings, so again, yes, they will be small or cramped. The entrance is off cobble stone steps, so the taxi can take you close, but not exactly to the door. You have to walk through a non-descript hall and up a couple flights of stairs. Even the Chiado district (great location!) itself is set on stairs...you will get buns of steel roaming Lisbon. If people have mobility issues, or huge luggage, then this is not an appropriate place to stay. For anyone else, Zuza B&B is a SUPER choice (for a solo traveller or a couple). The rooms have everything you need, including satellite TV if you need your "fix". The breakfast was satisfying, and Luis or another staff member will chat and answer questions over coffee. I don't often stay at B&Bs since I find the whole experience awkward at times, but I really felt comfortable here and enjoyed staying in a true Portuguese home. I also loved the honour bar (port!!) and free espresso off the common-room. If you need tonnes of frills, then stay at the faceless hotels near the square. If you want to make friends, share a laugh, and get advice from locals, STAY HERE! Obrigado Luis, Nuno, Anna and Carlos!! You are wonderful!

Room Tip: If you book ahead enough, ask for the "blue room" (it has a shared terrace with the green...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Heidelberg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The owners open their home in the city with pride and share their passion for Lisbon. This is an important feature of the B&B because you should not expect the luxury of 5 star hotels with large scale services and amenities. However what you do get is an opportunity for an authentic, heart of the city experience.

Our bedroom was small but serviceable, and the bathroom was cramped, but we were staying in an old building in the heart of the city, so we were compensated when walking out onto the small balcony to soak up the rooftop views before going out into the city itself.

The location is excellent because you can walk either to all the shops, through the old parts of town, explore hidden alleyways and backstreets, or large squares and plazas. Plus being close to the public transport systems.

Our hosts were hospitable, welcoming and kind, and were clearly sincere about making us feel welcome and well looked after.

The almost-hidden entrance and very narrow stairway made the arrival experience interesting to say the least, but this was partly our mistake as we missed a message from the owner giving us clear guidance how to find the place and with instructions to forward our airport arrival time to ensure they would be there to greet us and help us find our way.

I would strongly recommend ZUZA B&B to travellers wanting to get under the skin of the city of Lisbon, and those who prefer a more welcoming and personal experience rather than the more distant luxury hotel experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed for four nights from Nov 24 to Nov 28 at the B&B Zuzabed . The facilities and its owner Luis Zuza met and exceeded our expectations. The B&B is centrally located in the safe Chiado district, a walking distance for the most sightseeing places in Lisbon. Rossio square, the central transportation hub, and Train to Sintra are at stone- throw distances. Most of good eating places are spread around the B&B. The rooms, the washrooms and the beds are tastefully furnished and kept immaculately clean daily. The breakfast served is very sumptuous with nutritious ingredients for all tastes and Luis himself or one of his team-members is always in attendance to provide information about Lisbon/Portugal and give helpful suggestions on what to do, see or where to eat. There is a social get-together over a drink in the evenings to introduce guests to each other. Luis even provides you with a cell phone during your stay so that you have the ability to contact him or his staff instantly if you need any help. This feature was new and very comforting for us.Luis is a very likeable host who connects with you as a friend and has assembled a team of very dedicated hospitality-oriented persons (Fatima,Nunu,Anna,Carlos), who try to make your stay very comfortable. Luis is also very concerned that his guests get the best experience of his city. He even drove us to Sintra in his own car to ensure that we see part of the coastal landscape normally not in view from the train.

I agree with the previous contributor that stairs are steep and rooms are not very large. But then we are in Europe and in my opinion the sizes of rooms in a property are directly proportional to its location and proximity to the center of activity. Zuzabed is located in Chiado with magnificent views of the Castle which more than compensated us for climbing the stairs. Also the old city, which is the most interesting part of Lisbon, requires a lot of leg muscles to enjoy. I strongly recommend Zuzabed

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ZUZABED, Owner at ZUZABED & Breakfast B&B, Apartments and Villas, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
My dears Waris & Rafath,

Such a wonderful memories I have of your stay here at Zuzabed. With this comment to your review I don’t want to be rude to the other amazing/lovely Guests I had that also decided to share the good time staying staying with me and my Zuza team, and so far I did not reacted; but I honestly have to say that you 2 were another real living example of the kind of people that makes me feel so happy and proud to be able to meet and host.

As 95% of my Guests may witness I have a passion on meeting all my Guests and to make them feel at home much as possible and to be treated as good old friends. It’s definitely what makes me happy. I know that not everyone selects a place to stay looking for attention, company and to mingle with the locals, and sometimes for some Guests only “frills” is what it matters. Well, what can I say… one thing I can say for sure… everybody is most welcome and I always adjust my attitude to what I feel the Guest want. I never impose myself - I hope so :) and that’s what’s important… at least from my point of view.

As others may still remember me saying “There are not young and old people…” I love the end of this MY sentence :) Do you remember? :) … and you my dears Waris & Rafath are an amazing positive and good example in life to all that believe that “frills” is what it matters.

I’m soooo happy that you felt at home and I had the chance to meet you and obviously the life experience made you wrote “But then we are in Europe and in my opinion the sizes of rooms in a property are directly proportional to its location and proximity to the center of activity. Zuzabed is located in Chiado with magnificent views of the Castle which more than compensated us for climbing the stairs.” Life experience! Giving importance to the important things.
Everyday dealing with your enegy, made me think about all that face life as the half empty of the glass.
We do have the same :) “frills”; life teach us… and we should always learn with her! 

I miss you! See you soon in Toronto ;)

Your Portuguese friend,
Luis

Been to ZUZABED & Breakfast B&B, Apartments and Villas? Share your experiences!