“value for money!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #141 of 216 Hotels in Lisbon
Viseu
“value for money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Hotel close to Marquesde Pombal square where hop on-hop off buses leave for city trips.
Nice hotel with good rooms/beds.
simple breakfast but enough to start the day in a city where you walk the soles of your shoes.
Friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Francesco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We chose this hotel because it is classified as a 4-star hotel and we wanted a decent quality hotel. This hotel does not deserve 4-star status and should be downgraded to 3-star hotel.

AT THE RECEPTION.

On our arrival at the hotel we found one man at the reception desk dealing with a couple from Brazil. It took him 20 minutes to deal with them. During this period he ignored us completely, as if we did not exist. He did not offer us to sit-down, and when he finished with the couple from Brazil he still did not speak to us, he did not even looked at us, until he did some other stuff on his computer.

OUR ROOM

Eventually we got our key to the room. He did not tell us the location nor how to get to our room. I spotted the tiny lift in the corner and guessed that our room was on the first floor.

When we got the our room our key did not work (this is a magnetic key) so i went down to the reception to report the problem. The man was not surprised at all. He simply programmed the key again and this time I was able to open the bedroom door.

THE BATHROOM

We found that the bedroom and the bathroom were very clean. I also found that the bathroom door could not be opend fully, because there was the toilet behind it!

We decided to have a shower, but there was no hot water! We reported the matter to reception and someone came to check. He said the problem was because somebody had closed a hot-water valve but now it was ok!

We run the hot-water tap at full blast and eventually after 5 minutes and after wasting gallons of water, it started to get warm and then hot. We had to do this every time we wanted a shower.

THE BREAKFAST.

The breakfast room was located in what once was a lounge area. There were too many tables for the size of the room. When the tables were occupied some people had great difficoulty in passing-by. The breakfast area was far too close to the reception and front door. Thre was no privacy from the reception and anyone arriving at the hotel.

When someone opened the fron door there was a cold draft coming from the ouside(it is cold in the morning). My self and two more guest got up to close the door, during breakfast.

The breakfast options were poor. The coffe had a terrible taste( I could not drink it).
The choises of cerial were cornflakes or some sort of coco-pops. There was a hot-drink dispensing machine. Unfortunately it used that same horrible coffe to make various drink.

So we decided to have tea.... Unfortunately the water from this machine was never hot enought to made a decent cup of tea!! The other choices were, slices of processed cheese, cooked ham, plain bread, orange jam, margarine, and some fruit.

What was also annoying was that the food and the cutlery was placed in the most illogical way.
The people were getting in each other way all the time, in order to access the food and drinks.

FINALLY

My opinion is that the hotel does not show enought commitment towards their guests, and in this competitive world the are about to loose out to their competitors

Francesco Cembrola

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Portuguese air traffic controllers venting their spleen on the Government meant we had an unplanned overnight in Lisbon. This place was recommended by the tourist information office at the airport as having rooms for three. It was clean, comfortable, excellent location and good value. Slept well after a long stroll Down-town, a free concert and a lovely meal al-fresco. "Croissants" were actually brioche-style, otherwise breakfast was as expected for the price, although coffee from the urn was better than that from the "make it fresh" dispenser. No complaints.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

If I did not know otherwise I would have guessed this hotel was in Paris. It’s as though Parisien style low quality hotels have migrated to other parts of the EU. 3 Stars is over generous, and more worrying are the 4 stars on the canopy outside the front of the hotel.

This was the first stay. The hotel is a short metro ride from the centre of Lisbon and that’s where the good points about this hotel end. The only reason I stayed at this place was there was no rooms at any other hotels, due to European football and a conference of specialists from all over the world.

What is more sickening was paying 3 times the room rate, around € 250 a night. The check in girl was helpful and friendly, but the checkout girl was useless, took 20 minutes per person, could not work the credit card machine and wanted me to go to the cash point to withdraw €750! The only disappointment was that Basil Fawlty did not pop out from the reception desk to sort the problem out.

Room design was from the 1980’s; the pictures don’t do the décor justice. Saying that the bed was comfortable, but that was pure pot luck as my colleagues’ bed was the opposite. You get air con and a TV. My room had shutters so I could block out the street light and noise, shame I could not block out the noise of a family (possibly regular families) who had corridor chats late at night. My room was roomy, while the bathroom was the opposite – from the shower I could touch every wall.

Continental buffet style breakfast was plain. Croissants were bread consistency, the coffee was not coffee. The orange juice actually squash, I won’t go on.

If you’re on a tight budget this may be the place for you, but you can probably do better for the same price…

Room Tip: Away from the road
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed there 2 years ago when we went in our yearly vacation with our friends. We had a clean room with enough space (not all rooms are the same).First room we've got was very small but we asked for another one bigger.
Breakfest was ok, not the best, but ok. The positon in town is very good, about 5 minutes by foot to the metro station Parque and it is just across the EDUARDO VII park.
People there was nice and helpful. My parents stayed there when they visited Lisbon.
I think that it is a good hotel for the money we paid for.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Graz, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed there for 2 weeks with my boyfriend. We stayed in a double room, which was cleaned every day (no matter when we left; if it was late the maid called and asked if and when we want to get our room cleaned). I liked the hotel, but I have two main complaints. First of all, the beds were very uncomfortable and we were both waking up with pain in our backs. There was no double bed - there were actually 2 single beds put together and it was specially annoying because they were not glued/nailed to the floor and they were moving all the time.
My second complaint is the breakfast. There was practically nothing to choose from. They only had some bread rolls, small croissants (no filling), butter (with salt, the second week they also added butter without salt), 3 different jams, cornflakes (yes, just cornflakes, no oatmeal or anything else), ham and cheese. As for the drinks, they had juice and a coffee machine. And I just have to write something about that coffee machine, because it was a disaster. It had the following: coffee, white coffee (coffee with milk), cocoa, milk and hot water (tea: camomile and black tea). I love white coffee, so I tried it the first morning. It was absolutely disgusting. The second morning I tried cocoa. It didn't taste anything like cocoa and it was also disgusting. My boyfriend later told me that the coffee they used for the machine was not even made of coffee beans, but from something else that I don't remember the name of. Since it was a hotel and this kind of coffee is only popular in Portugal, I would expect it to be tourist-friendly and people should actually be able to drink the coffee that is made from coffee beans.
I didn't perticularly like their tea either (tasted differently), so I ended up buying my own tea and had it every morning. Bottom line is, I had to eat the exact same breakfast every single day - 2 or 3 croissants with either butter or jam with tea. I don't like cornflakes, I'm allergic to meat and I only eat about 3 different sorts of cheese. They could at least offer some fruit and yoghurt.
Another disappointing thing was that there was no fridge in the room. I didn't expect a big one, but it would be nice to have a small one just to put a couple of drinks in it. Luckily, they were kind enough to let us use the fridge at the reception, so that's a plus.
The internet was not free, but it was at least cheap (5eur for 24 hours), but it was very slow.

All in all, I recommend it only for a few nights and definitely not for couples. Overall, it's an average hotel with nice staff, except for one older guy at the reception, he was kind of slow with everything and needed a few moments to realize what we asked him (it was in Portuguese so it was not a language problem).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had a very pleasant 4 night stay. We were in a newly refurbed room, 504. Basic but perfectly fine. It was very clean and the bed was very comfy and a smart bathroom. The location is great, 20 minutes walk into main Lisbon. The breakfast is very very basic, but the rolls although one type were fresh each day. I would deffinately recommend it. It's a great budget hotel with a budget breakfast in a great location. Check out the bistro at the bottom of the road, the food is really cheap and superb.

Our freinds didn't have a newly refurbed room, and yes they clean but a bit tired, so ask for a refurbed room when booking.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Avenida Park Hotel? Share your experiences!