“Absolutely perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 217 Hotels in Lisbon
Paris, France
“Absolutely perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Location is perfect to explore the city. Decoration is modern and tasteful. Comfort is perfect. Service is incredibly friendly. This is the very rare city hotel in which a 3-day stay feels too short and where we can't recall a single thing that might have been better. (On second thoughts: free wifi would be a plus...)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely 5star hotel that sits in the centre of Lisbon by the shopping areas, restaurants, bars and of easy access of the castle. The rooms are in the smaller side but service is really 5star. Rooftop bar is very cool but can be crowded. Top tip - Book online through broker rather than directly with the hotel to get a better rate.

• Stayed February 2012
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Having stayed at the Heritage Avenida Liberade last month, I kept comparing this hotel to my stay at the Heritage, which I absolutely loved (and reviewed).

Positives about the Bairro Alto Hotel:
1. Location is fantastic -- Right at the crossroads of Chiado, Bairro Alto and Baixa. You can walk to every place -- even Principe Real, which I highly recommend (though that walk is all uphill).

2. Rooftop terrace has a fantastic view and the drinks/wines are excellent -- though you pay a higher price for being there. It also gets very busy, and hotel guests don't get any preference.

3. Breakfast is included and excellent -- juices, coffee, baked goods, yogurt, cheese, cereals, meats, eggs -- really fantastic!

4. Amenities in the room are great -- from I-Pod docking station to bathroom products.

5. Decor and ambience have a really glam and luxury feel.

6. Staff are very friendly.

Two things that I was particularly disappointed about with this property were:

1. The bed was not comfortable. For the price one pays, they need to have better beds. AND a queen bed is not two single beds joined together!

2. While the staff are really friendly and helpful, as a third-time visitor to Lisbon, I was quite surprised at the limited knowledge about restaurants, independent boutique shops, timings for popular venues and so forth that they had. I found myself often telling them about places I felt they should have known about...some right around the corner from the hotel.

In terms of the type of room I had, it was a Mansard Room, which was perfect as I was by myself. It might be on the small side for two people, unless you don't mind "cosy."

Final word, stay here if you can get an advance booking special or a promotional rate. Otherwise, I don't think it is worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel is the diamond of the city! In the heart of Lisbon this 5* hotel is close to perfection!
Great atmosphere, one of the world's most beautiful terrace, a bar I wish I could have!
The rooms are small but extremely pretty and there is a great sense attached to details.
Despite being in the heart of the vibrant city the rooms are VERY quiet.

I also HIGHLY recommend the restaurant Flores and particularly the Sardines for starter!

Just go for it!

• Stayed August 2012
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed at the Bairro Alto for 3 nights on a girls trip to Lisbon. The location can't be beat! Right in the heart of shopping and restaurants/bars. And an easy train ride/walking distance to almost everything else. The hotel staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and quick to offer suggestions.

The bar at top is a must. The view is to die for. We sat up there for hours drinking wine and enjoying some light apps. The place is very tiny and open to people not staying at the hotel so you need to get up there before 5ish in order to not have to wait for a table. The first night we were there we couldn't get a table so we ended up walking to a great little wine/tapas bar around the corner called Fabulas, which I would recommend if you find yourself in the same situation.

The breakfast in the morning was great. They had a nice variety and would make you something else if you wanted.

The only issue we had was our shower didn't drain properly so there was a mini bathroom flood on our first night there. They were able to fix it the next day, but it would have been nice had they caught it prior to us arriving as we had to forgo showers that night and the next morning. Also I believe it is a little overpriced for what it is.... but I suppose you are paying for the location more than anything else.

Overall, I would stay here again (if I was feeling rich) and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
BAH_Manager, General Manager at Bairro Alto Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Kristin C,

The Staff of the Bairro Alto Hotel thanks you for your review. We hope you and your friends will visit us again in a near future.

Thank you for your preference.
Have a great Summer.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We thought nothing could exceed our wonderful experiences in Portugal - until we stayed at this hotel. The staff was phenomenal, the room truly a 5 star, the location perfect. We ended our three weeks at this hotel and it was a perfect closing that was memorable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear NYC - Chicago,

We are all truly happy we have contributed quite positively to those memorable times you passed in your 3 week trip to Portugal!

"Memorable" is indeed a great word we like to see often used by our guests/friends. Thank you.

Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We didn't stay at the hotel, but the Terrace bar is superb. Great views over the rooftops and river, very attentive service and good food and cocktails. We went for a salad and a glass of wine and stayed for 4 hours! It's not huge so book if you can (we didn't), or be prepared to wait for one of the tables along the edge. I imagine it's lovely in the evening as well.

My girlfriend said, "this is perfect. Don't tell everyone", so consider this a public service...

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nick21Brussels,

Greetings from Lisboa!

Thank you so much for your "public service". On behalf of the Bairro Alto Hotel team and specially the Terrace team, I thank you for your very positive remarks. I'm going to make sure they all read your review.

Next time I'm sure you will stay for more than 4 hours and eventually watch the sundown which even for me, being a "local", it is still a great joy and peace of mind to experience.

For other tripadvisor readers: we actually do not accept reservations for that outlet. First come, first served basis.

Have a great summer.
The Bairro Alto Hotel

Been to Bairro Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!