“Great place, super simple!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Rua do Alecrim, 45, Lisbon 1200-014, Portugal   |
Ranked #27 of 160 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great place, super simple!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed one night at Hall Chiado to explore Lisbon for one day and I was SUPER pleased! Took the metro from the airport (super cheap & easy) and walked about 10 minutes and found the place. Coded into the building and found my room - nice size for one person. I'm sure there are smaller rooms as well as larger suites. My room was clean, modern and opened to the main street. I didn't have an issue w/ street noise since it was December and the windows were closed. Modern bathroom was excellent and the heater in the room works TOO well as I had to turn it down in the middle of the night. Most importantly, I was near EVERYTHING! The water front, pubs, Old Tram rides, the Metro and shopping in and around Baixa. Can't miss!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Marta G, Owner at Hall Chiado, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice comment.
Lisbon is in fact very convenient for a short break, as the airport is very close to the center. The subway is of course a good option but there are also shuttles for 3€ that take you directly to the square next to Hall Chiado. Even a taxi is quite cheap, not more than 15€ and 20m ride. Very different from other cities as London or Paris...
We'll make sure to check the air conditioning, too much heat becomes uncomfortable of course.
Best regards,
Marta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed at Hall Chiado for 3 nights in Oct 2013- Marta was there to greet us and was superb & spot-on in giving us instructions on what to do, see and what to eat in Lisbon. There were also recommendations posted up in the hallway and they were excellent.
Hall Chiado has a great location due to its proximity to good food, shopping, transport (near the train station and tram 28 stop) and of course to areas of interests for tourists. Our room was large, bed was comfy and the bathroom was also well planned. It is important to note that this accommodation is more like an apartment and not a hotel. Breakfast was not included but this suited us well as we enjoyed lovely breakfasts nearby.
We would definitely stay here again if/ when we return.
4/5

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marta G, Proprietário at Hall Chiado, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am really happy that Hall Chiado didn't fail in such an important moment for you! Please continue having yearly "honeymoons" in Lisbon or other beautiful and romantic cities.
When giving recommendations, I always try to understand the profile of the guest and fit with the right suggestions but I end up talking about my favorite places most of the time... I am glad it worked for you.
You know, we like to call Hall Chiado a guest house, rather than hotel or apartment. We don't have the standard reception and the hassle of checkin/out, also we don't have breakfast, but we do have all the other services and comfort of a regular hotel, including daily cleaning and towel change, if requested. Plus the personal recommendations, which we are happy to provide!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed with our two small kids and unit 8 was fantastic! The 2 bedrooms were the perfect size, VERY clean and an excellent value. The staff was nice and accommodating and the location is central to everything.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Marta G, Proprietário at Hall Chiado, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Believe me I know the challenge of travelling with kids... Either you book two rooms in a hotel, which tends to get expensive or you find an apartment, which can be a good solution but sometimes is a bit of a hassle. In Hall Chiado I think we found a good way of accommodating families up to 5 with our suites, no big luxury but really functional and not expensive. I am glad it worked for you.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

To tell the truth, it wasn't love at first sight for me. The room we had was really very small and sparse. Open the door and you fall on the bed. One wooden chair or sit on the bed. The window had to be kept closed because of the really loud traffic noise. Luckily there was an airconditioner, because even though it wasn't hot, it got stuffy in our tiny room without any air flow. There was no communal fridge, which would have been nice to keep a couple of drinks cold on a hot day.

Gradually I warmed up to it. It was clean and tidy, they provided free water bottles in the foyer each day, and the girls in the shop next door were helpful. They also provided a kettle for us, and tea bags (which we requested) and I was very grateful for that.

Free wifi was great, the location hard to beat too, only 5 min walk from the train station. The code system worked well, and we didn't miss not having a reception.

Not a bad place to stay, but if you are staying for longer than a couple of days, I would book one of the apartments, rather than the room. Space is a premium here. There are also stairs for those with mobility issues.

Be warned that you are close to Bairro Alto (aka party district) and Saturday night in Lisbon is pretty wild, noise-wise. It did keep me awake that night (even with the window closed), but the other nights were okay. Bring ear plugs if noise is an issue for you.

Room Tip: Go for an apartment with a kitchen and more space. Ask for a quiet room away from the street (if pos...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Marta G, Proprietário at Hall Chiado, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time you dedicated to this review.
By your description, I think you stayed in our smallest room. The other double rooms are more spacious. If you come back on day, just give us a note and we will make sure you get a bigger room, no need to go for a family suite.
Regarding the noise, Hall Chiado is located in the heart of the action, so it can get a bit noisy at night sometimes. We have installed the best noise-proof windows that are available but for guests who are especially sensitive to noise, we recommend the rooms that face the rear of the building, which are really quiet.
Best regards,
Cochrane, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights. Very clean modern rooms. The beds are comfortable,bathroom was spacious and well equipped. The location was the best part no need for a car. Easy access from airport bus stop, train stations, and metro. The only reason I don't give 5 stars is |I really missed a breakfast. Even if they were able to make a deal of sorts with pastry place up the street, it would make this perfect. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marta G, Proprietário at Hall Chiado, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice comment.
We have thought a lot about the breakfast issue. As travelers, we are very demanding in regard to the breakfast and we find it very hard to get a really excellent breakfast even in 4 or 5 star hotels. On the other hand, Chiado is very well served with great coffee shops for different tastes, so we decided to leave it out and offer a better price. For rainy winter nights, we do have the option of breakfast served in the room, on demand.
Would love to give you a few personal hints if you come back one day.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We visited Lisbon for 4 days and stayed at hall chiado. It was our first city trip as a family as we took our little boy of 6 months with us. Hall chiado organised everything to make our stay as pleasant as possible. We even got a microwave on our room to heat up bottles. The room was clean, spacious and had a wonderful bathroom. Hall chiado is located in the centre and offers easy access to every part of the city. For dinner, I would recommend "Andaluz" which is located about 20meters down the road from Hall chiado. Beautiful tapas!
The girls from Hall chiado are lovely and run a little shop as well. You can ask them for anything and they are happy to help you. The shop has some really cute things. I got myself some bracelets for a price that made me very happy:-)
All together, if we would ever return to Lisbon, we would definately stay at Hall chiado again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Marta G, Proprietário at Hall Chiado, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
It makes me really happy to know that you had a good time in Lisbon and Hall Chiado. I know, by personal experience (...), that it not always easy to travel with small babies so we do our best to offer the maximum possible comfort to our family guests. By the way, Meson Andaluz is also one of our personal favorites!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in Hall Chiado Residences and were very impressed with what we got. The room was spacious, clean, the furniture was new and the decor was the best of all. The location is fantastic near Cais do Sodre and a short walk to Bairro Alto. The only downside was lack of receptionist - which I suppose is why it's cheaper - but it didn't make a difference to us. We will definitely stay again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Marta G, Owner at Hall Chiado, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind words.
You are right, we don't have a "receptionist" as such, but me, Marta and Sara, one of us is always at the office on the ground floor during daytime (also at weekends) and are glad to be of any assistance.
Looking forward to have you back some day.
Leonor

Been to Hall Chiado? Share your experiences!