“Clean hotel, very poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Almirante
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Almirante Reis 68, Lisbon 1150-020 , Portugal   |
Ranked #188 of 217 Hotels in Lisbon
France
“Clean hotel, very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

We booked a double room for five days at the hotel Almirante, a month before our arrival.

Our first impression was good because the hotel wasn’t too far from the airport (half hour by bus) and 15 m from a subway station. It’s also clean, but my boyfriend and I are very disappointed with the service.

After checking in the room, we found two single beds instead of a double bedroom. We told the receptionist who said he knew, but since the hotel was fully booked and it was the last room available, we had to wait for the next day to see if a double room would be available. We didn’t appreciate that he knew but didn’t bother mentioning this detail to us when we checked in and it wasn’t that we didn’t book the room, but reserved it over a month ago.

When we asked for his recommendation for a restaurant, he pointed at the flyers and said that all the information were there.

The following evening, we returned in the hotel at about 11 pm. We were tired and wanted to take a shower and sleep. We were pleased that they were able to give us another room, with a double bed, but my surprise when opening the bathroom door of room 207: there was a huge leak, so water was all over the place and the ground was completely covered with water. Twenty minutes after our call at the reception, the maintenance guy came. The guy locked himself in the bathroom for about an hour "to repair" the leak. He only came out when I knocked at the door to ask what was going on.

Third day, same scenario. It was past midnight. Water was everywhere in the bathroom. This time, the lady receptionist came to check rather fast after our call. She asked us to wait while she consulted her manager. 15 minutes later, she called to ask us to wait in the bar because they had to remove the ceiling to repair the leak. We waited over an hour yesterday already. We didn’t want to wait this time, so we didn’t go down and of course, there was no other room. We asked them to fix the leak the next day. The detail was that our clothes (which were in the bathroom) were completely soaked in the water.

We took our precaution the last two days and didn’t put anything in the bathroom. It wouldn’t change much to our experience, but the staff never apologized for the inconvenience (for leak or for the error of the room). It’s a pity to have such bad service because overall, the hotel is rather nice and clean.

• Liked — close to the subway
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Zürich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

... because you won't end up sleeping there.

I booked the hotel using e-bookers (which I have come to know as a reliable internet travel agency - until know). I forgot to check trip advisor prior to booking (what mistake). When I read about all the complaints of people who ended up in other hotels I regretted booking it, but I could not undo my mistake without incurring the penalty of paying the full rate. So I got there well prepared...
I entered the hotel and the lady at the desk asked for my voucher. She looked at it, then at the computer, a well displayed frown on here face and then she looked up and told me that due to an error my room was not available, I had to stay somewhere else. A shuttle (readily parked in front of the hotel, already waiting for the overbooked...) would bring me to another hotel.
I insisted on getting a) room b) a room in a hotel of my choosing (i suggested the AC Lisboa at a rate of ~200EUR) or c) cash (200EUR).
The lady insisted, the hotel was overbooked and the would pay the other hotel where they wanted to bring me.
I insisted on staying there. She called AC Lisboa, told me they had no single rooms. I said, okay next hotel I would call. She said, she had to call her manager first. I told her I want my room and I want it know and here in this hotel. She said it was not possible. Then I raised my voice.
Finally after 15 minutes of argument she told to sit down behind, at the bar, while working out something. I sat in the hallway, watching her. Other guests came - same story: overbooked - shuttle - nice ladies did not insist... me still waiting for my room.
After twice telling her that I want my room immediatly she was finally able to give me a room. It was a double instead of a single but generally okay. And the warm breakfest was also quite good.

If you want to avoid all of this... don't go there, because they seem to be selling as many rooms as possible and not as many as they have. Sad sad story. Sad also that e-bookers features such a hotel.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

We contracted a trip to Lisbon with an agency, that allowed us to spend three nights in a centric hotel (Almirante Hotel Lisbon), to take advantage of the little time that we had arranged (just 3 days).

When we arrived to the Almirante Hotel Lisbon, the receptionist indicated to us with a magnificent smile that, by a problem in their computer system, they did not have rooms that we had contracted and paid. He said that we had to be transferred to another hotel. We acceded with the condition of going to another “centric hotel” to facilitate the visit to the city, but they insisted on taking us to a hotel in the outskirts of Lisbon (in the Expo Area).

Since we had arrived to Lisbon at a very early time, we decided to insist in case there were rooms available. And after half hour of discussion there were rooms available in the Hotel!!. They assured that we could have our rooms from 14:00, cleaned and ready for us. They said that our rooms would be waiting for to us even if we arrived later. But it was not true!!. We arrived at night and again there were no rooms for us!!.

We requested the complaint book. And they refused. We said that we could call the police if they did not give us the complaint book, and the receptionist said that they the director of the hotel had the complaint book, but she was not in the hotel.

We said that we wanted to talk to the director and we did, but on the phone…finally the director “offer” us to spend the nights contracted with them in another hotel less centric but in “near the centre” with a condition: not to do a complaint in the complaint book of the hotel Almirante!!.

It was late and we were all tired for the time and effort lost, so we leave the Almirante Hotel, an hotel with little vocation of caring for the client.

Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

I booked 2 double rooms in August for me,wife and kids.We got a taxi, and 7 minutes later we were in the Hotel Almirante.Beware of the portuguese taxi drivers, they overcharge.The hotel is a modern hotel, and 10 minutes walk from downtown.If you dont like to walk (Like my kids)you have a subway station 15 meters from the hotel.The rooms are clean and very confortable.I dont know about the person that wrote the "beware" review, but i assure you that he did not stay in the same hotel.We are looking forward for going back next year.

• Stayed August 2005
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2005

Having stayed 2 nights in Lisbon at this hotel, we think these are the essential things to know.
Arrive via the 25 April bridge, as the road system is very confusing and busy if you arrive via the Vasco de Gama bridge.
Parking is hard to find near the hotel, but is free compared to the hotel rates.
First impressions: located on a busy road next to Anjos metro 5 mins to centre. Modern hotel, good lounge area with breakfast bar. Rooms small but adequate for our stay. Mini bar and pay TV.
The hotel is good value, clean and ideally located for exploring the main sites in Lisbon.

• Stayed November 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2005

We went to ALMIRANTE HOTEL for our honeymoon.
We had a flight delay and we arrived at Lisboa 1 day later. We called ALMIRANTE HOTEL to inform them about our delay, but the next day, when we finally arrived at the hotel, they told us that our room (which was supposed to be on the 4TH floor) was not available due to a flood at the whole floor.
They were willing to transfer us to another HOTEL 10 BLOCKS AWAY, we strongly refused as ALMIRANTE HOTEL is very central and after long disputes and arguement, they finally agreed to transfer us for only 1 day to the aside hotel.
When we were finally settled at ALMIRANTE HOTEL, during breakfast we met a couple that they had been told the exact same excuse a week ago. They told us that they use the "FLOOD" excuse to cover their messing with the bookings and that we were very lucky that we had been transferred to the nearby hotel..
Nevertheless, the hotel in general was good, clean, the room was not large enough but the double bed was bigger than a king size one.

• Stayed July 2005
barbiem
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2005

I booked this hotel on the internet based on the hotels own description however it left out a few things. Firstly it advertises it as having an international restaurant. When we visited the hotel it only had a breakfast area and there was no where to eat in the hotel in the evening. When I queried this at the front desk they said they had not had a restaurant for some time.Therefore this meant going out of the hotel and into Lisbon downtown area. Believe me you dont want to walk this area at night. It is full of drug pushers, prostitutes and down and outs as well as sinister looking groups of men hanging around at street corners. The 25 minute walk into town was terrifying. The subway is yards from the hotel and this is definately the best option as long as you travel back to the hotel by 10.00 pm otherwise you get the same sort of unsavoury people hanging around by the subway entrances. The rooms at the Almirante were clean but quite small. we had booked a double but were given a twin. When we complained they couldnt move us for the first night but did manage it the second night for the rest of our stay. The room always seemed very hot despite the aircon. It couldnt be turned up to much as it made a horrible rattling sound. The staff were very friendly and obliging but all in all I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Hotel Almirante? Share your experiences!