“Great tour.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 261 Tours & Activities in Lisbon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: ***BEST WAY TO EXPLORE LOCAL LISBON - THE LISBON ORIGINAL FREE WALKING TOURS WE ARE NOT OFFICIAL GUIDES,We are just a group of local friends who love to show you around and,tell you about the local funny stories,legends and myths,show the genuine culture.We also talk about our history and culture,but keep your mind open to listen the nonofficial stories, and we don't take you to the main touristic attractions.To keep it genuine and pure,we work on a tips-only bases,earning no commissions or any other support,working solely for what our travelers think we are worth.
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great tour.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Overall, an excellent tour. Our guide Miguel was knowledgeable of the local history and custom, and gave us a very interesting take on Portugal from a locals' perspective. Unlike most walking tours, this one made us feel like one of the people, not another tourist.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Excellent tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

This is a really brilliant thing to do. I did it on my first day in Lisbon and it gave me a sense of the history and different areas of the City. José, our guide, was very welcoming, knowledgable and made the whole event a lot of fun. Without his inside knowledge I would have just passed by ordinary looking buildings without knowing the gems they hide. Much of our tour was in the rain but that didn't dampen the experience! I definitely recommend it.

London, United Kingdom
“What a fantastic tour guide, tour and concept!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

It was my first experience of a free tour, the idea is to tip the tour guide as much as you wanted or nothing at all! I didnt really know what to expect to be honest. However after meeting José I was taken back by him and the tour. He was a teacher previously, he had really good skills of engaging everyone by asking us to guess what the figures were dotted around Lisbon, his spoken English was excellent, and he asked us feedback on whether or not if he was too fast. He has great indepth, invaluable knowledge that not many would since he carries a wealth of information passed directly down from many a generations from his family. He had a great sense of humour, and his storytelling was vivid and very imaginative.
He took us around to the main important sites and also asked us if there were any we were particularly interested in!
He provided us with very useful tips such as how to avoid getting lost in the old city of Alfama since it is a labyrinthine of narrow streets. He showed us amazing places which are not marked on tourist maps so real hidden treasures that are well worth exploring.
His depth and breath of knowledge combined with the historical attractions was nothing short of a fantastic tour and we ended up on a high, the hill top with a spectacular view of the city!

This tour is a must! Especially into the first day or so of your holiday, the tips and advice were invaluable and now in hindsight do regret not doing it on the first day.

José is an exemplary tour guide! And you cannot help but tip generously! Worth every penny!!!

Visited December 2013
montreal
“Highlight of my week in Lisbon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to go on this tour on our 3rd day so that we could experience the neighbourhoods of Lisbon through the eyes of a local and to get some good restaurant / bar recommendations. We had a fantastic time! Our group had 7 people in total and our guide's name was Rafa. He was extremely passionate about Lisbon, enthusiastic about giving the tour, and very knowledeable about the history of the city, sights, and areas. The tour is very interactive and you can ask as many questions as you like. You're only expected to tip if you think the tour was valuable to you (which I'm sure you will). The 3 hours went by fast and we enjoyed every minute of it. We especially enjoyed drinking some 1 euro homemade ginginha during our walk through Alfama. :)

Visited December 2013
“FANTASTIC TOUR AND GREAT GUIDE :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I went on the Lisbon Chill-out tour with a couple of friends on the 1st of January 2014. Our guide was José, we opted for the afternoon tour and I can honestly say that this was by far the best walking tour I have been on. It really did feel like you were being shown around the city by a friend. José was a great guy guide, very friendly, with great passion and enthusiasm for the city and of course coming from a teaching background, he was very knowledgeable. José’s spoken English was very good, and the way he delivered the tour was very effective, he engaged everyone during the tour, used humour and told some great stories based on historical events.

As well as showing us around some key landmarks of the city, José took us to some very interesting historical sites and places that you may not normally get to visit as a tourist, as you would most definitely need a guide to show you around these places. My favourite part of the tour was visiting Alfama, we walked through the picturesque narrow streets, José talked about the historical attractions and we got to meet some of the locals. We ended the tour on a high, literally, on top of the hill with a spectacular viewpoint of the city. 

If you are visiting Lisbon, I would most definitely a recommend the Chill-out Tour. It’s a great way to get to know the city, meet other travellers and also pick up tips on places to visit and where to eat etc. It’s a free tour and the guys operate on a tip only basis which you give to your guide at the end of the tour. If you enjoy it, don’t forget to tip generously as these guys most definitely deserve it!