“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Shiloh, IL
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

What a great find. Very charming, reasonably priced, excellent service and great tasting food. We would go back there for sure.

Lisbon, Portugal
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We had grilled squid and cutlets of black pork, and in both plates they were cooked as well as they could possibly be (with, possibly, just a little too much salt, but that was a small cost). Juicy, tasty, a right bugger that we only found the place on our last night; otherwise we would have come again and again. Oh, and nice potato crisps instead of the usual soggy potato chips.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Sussex, England
“The Genuine Article”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Tucked away up a small road off the Liberty Avenue, this is a restaurant for the locals. My Portugese is virtually non existent and the Owner's English was limited, but with goodwill we managed. My order of a glass of house red resulted in a bottle of red, but I managed to drink it all. The food was good honest fare at very reasonable prices. Go there eat, drink, and people watch, you won't regret it.

Visited June 2014
Bathgate, United Kingdom
“Found this by accident..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Loved the food. Loved the service. What's not to like in this restaurant. Would definitely recommend.

Visited July 2014
Midwest
“Simple food, well served to solo diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

US restaurants too often mistreat solo diners, but that was far from the case at Floresta do Salitre - even lacking a common language. Arriving an hour and a half before the 11 PM closing, I was seated and served with homey hospitality.

Since Frommer had recommended the daily dishes - which are not described in English, I used the other items, along with the fish and meats visible in the cold case to identify brochette of squid and shrimp. Matching this with a tomato salad and a glass of vinho verde, I thought I had ordered plenty.

But then the meal flowed forward. Instead of pouring me just a glass, the host set the newly opened bottle on the table (later charged for only one glass -- although I enjoyed the equivalent of two US glasses). Then, a complimentary tasting of fried sardines arrived along with my perfectly grilled brochette -- crisped edges on the squid, but not overcooked to toughness, a bit of pork and sausage and a fragrant green pepper setting off the seafood. When I asked for the check, it arrived with a complimentary glass of chilled muscato.

Throughout the meal, I enjoyed the relaxed, convivial atmosphere. The hosts joked with diners -- apparently regulars. When the 11 pm closing time arrived, some settled checks and called it a night, but there was never any signal that our hosts wanted to go to bed and rest for tomorrow's work.

As with many small restaurants, there is a small bread charge, but with this generosity and these prices, why quibble? Even with a 15% tip, this feast only cost 20 Euros. Smilingly sated, I walked one block back to the Avenida Metro stop.

• Visited July 2014