“Fantastic collection and great cafe make for a great afternoon!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 359 Activities in Lisbon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Type: Symphonies, Theater & Concerts
6 attraction reviews
“Fantastic collection and great cafe make for a great afternoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Gulbenkian Collection and Foundation is a must see. Funded by early oil pioneer Calouste Gulbenkian, the museum is wonderful. The cafe features outdoor seating and great food as well as wine. The view is very nice. People chill out here during visits. The gift shop has great books and prints. I took several large posters home to the US on my first visit thirty years ago. I highly recommend you visit!

Visited September 2012

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
10 attraction reviews
“Museums, Gradens and Concert rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Near the place I leave. Its like a small paradise in center Lisbon. Very good museums. Very nice gardens. Great musical concert place.

Visited June 2012
Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal
23 attraction reviews
“Do que melhor temos em Portugal /one of the best things in Portugal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

One of the best things we have in Portugal: cultural, spacious, pleasurable, attractive, architecture, gardens. It deserves several visits!

Visited July 2012
10 attraction reviews
“The legacy of armenian oil magnate Calouste Gulbenkian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Great gardens, Modern art museum and the ancient art museum. A must see in Lisbon

London
213 attraction reviews
“Problems obtaining a refund”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We had tickets booked for a concert. We arrived on the morning of the day of the concert to see the museum to be informed that it had been cancelled (only because I took the trouble to find the concert hall the check that all was ok). I was told that (a) electronic refunds were impossible, even though I had bought my tickets online, and (b) no cash refund could be given on the day as the foundation did not keep as much as 30 euro in cash on the premises. I was advised to return another day for my money, clearly a silly thing to do on a short holiday where every day is precious. So I went back in the late afternoon to see whether any cash had turned up in the course of the day. The woman in the box office/shop was clearly annoyed that I had come back, but I stood my ground. No other concert hall I have been to anywhere in the world has both refused an electronic refund and claimed to have no cash on the premises. I mean, this is the foundation of somebody who was one of the richest men in the world, surely they must keep a few banknotes somewhere on the premises. Anyway, she found a manager who told her that she could, very grudgingly, give me my refund in cash, making out that I should consider myself to have been the recipient of a great favour.

Visited September 2011