“Great value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 217 Hotels in Lisbon
Toronto, Canada
“Great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

Nothing special, but well worth the price paid (just under $100 CAD/night with buffet breakfast included).

Good location right by Marque de Pombal Square and the metro station. Room was more spacious than I expected - although awkwardly laid out, with a pillar in the middle - and clean and quiet. Professional, courteous staff. Strong wifi. Lots of choice at buffet breakfast. Bathroom was spotless.

Would recommend if you're not planning to spend too much time at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ramat Gan, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

My initial impression of the hotel was negative, and this review would have warned travellers away from Hotel Dom Carlos Park. The room was small and filled by the bed so there was no room for a desk and chair, the bathroom didn't have shampoo, body oil, tissues. I castigated myself for choosing the hotel. However, to make a short story even shorter, I came to love the place and would willingly return.

First, the location: very close to the station where two Metro lines converge. It is also very close to the place from where the tour buses commence their hop-on-hop-off tours, and 4 minutes away from where the aeroporto bus has one of its stops. Just outside is Ave de Liberdade, the Champs Elysee of Lisbon

Second the room. No, it didn't get any larger than what I wrote in the opening paragraph, but I was able to live in the small space. When I wanted to write, I went down to the lobby where they have a nice quiet room with a desk, usually deserted. The hot water came instantly to my beck and call, the water pressure excellent (I was on the 8th and top floor) and the towels were of amazingly good fluffy quality. One day a visitor opened the curtain, and it turned out that I had a beautiful view of the city. The Wifi worked in the room at all times. Finally, while it is not my idea of a great time, I noticed that the television had many English stations that I could have watched had I chosen to do so.

Third, the breakfast. While this is a three star hotel, the breakfast is much closer to that of a four star hotel. A large selection. A pleasure to start the day.

Fifth, the personnel. While I didn't have very much interaction with them, they were professional. My first impression about hotel personnel is whether I received the requests that I made at the time of the reservation. I asked for a non-smoking, quiet room with a queen bed. And I received all. Of the 4 hotels I stayed at in Portugal, this is the only one that gave me exactly what I requested.

Bottom line, I have no hesitation in recommending the Don Carlos Park Hotel, and would return there if I were to return to Lisbon.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

I stayed here for two nights mid week in October. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast is everything you need, basic but good. Location is very good, only 2 min walk to metro and 15 to center of town. I will stay again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

Location was very convenient. Staff was very helpful, especially Nuno. We totally enjoyed our stay September 5 thru 8. We would recommend this hotel.The metro stop convenient, two stops from Corte Inglis.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Ramat Gan, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2014

We went there with our 3 months old child and the staff was very helpful, kind and made the staying with the baby an easy and good experience.
The location is up the main avenue of Lisbon, close to shopping centre and parks.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

Located just off Avenida de Liberdade and within 2 minutes of Marques de Pombal Metro station, which has 2 lines running through it, it's an ideal place to base yourself for a visit to Lisbon. It's also only a few minutes walk to Parque Eduardo VII which is the start point for some of the Hop On Hop Off bus tours. The rooms are a bit 70's but are clean and the buffet breakfast should have anything you require to set you up for the day. Staff were friendly and helpful and willing to help you anyway they can. Overall a nice base for a short stay or weekend in Lisbon

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

The Hotel Dom Carlos is a great value for it's location. It is located off Avenida de Liberdade and has a metro station across the street. The hotel is clean and the staff was very pleasant. The room rate included a breakfast buffet which was superb (which has not been my experience in European hotels). I traveled with two friends and we had booked a room that accommodated 3 people (also a rare find). My only disappointment was the third bed was a cot and not a bed as advertised. The mattresses could use some updating, but for two nights it was fine. I recommend this hotel for a short stay as it allows you to get to all the important sites either on foot or by metro. 10 minute cab ride to airport.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Dom Carlos Park? Share your experiences!