How refreshing it is to find such a hotel in this day and age. Although we had problems booking, due to language problems, on our arrival, Maria (aka Christina) the owner, sorted everything out immediately, and combined with the fact that it was our 40th wedding anniversary, graciously gave us an upgrade at no extra charge.
What must have once been a large private house, with a large stainglass window of St Mamede on the main staircase and throughout decorated with Portuguese tiles, now makes a home from home for the discerning traveller wanting both quality and a convenient, but equally quiet, base for visiting the centre of Lisbon.
Our room was delightful, with a spacious bedroom and a large bathroom with shower, bidet and old fashioned stand alone bathtub. The decor throughout our suite, and throughout the hotel, was elegant and tasteful. The buffet breakfast had a wide choice and one could start the day well nourished with coffee, tea, fruit juice as well as a choice of cereals, cheese, cakes etc. The staff on the door were all welcoming and helpful, only too pleased to advise on the best routes to get to places and most spoke English very well.
I can't praise this hotel enough and thoroughly recommend it. My wife and I had a most memorable and pleasant Ruby Wedding, much due to our stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Casa de Sao Mamede" is a small family hotel (26 rooms). Built in the XVIIIth century as the residence of a magistrate. This beautiful building has maintained all the charm of an old family home. It is one of the first buildings to be constructed in the traditional system of "birdcage" - earthquake proof construction used after earthquake of 1755. Having been adapted to a hotel unit in 1948 it knew how to keep throughout the years, the treatment, the tradition and the atmosphere of a true family house. Always trying to preserve the past we did not relinquish however the comfort requirements that contemporary life demands so all the rooms have: private bathroom, telephone, digital safe, satellite television, double glass and air-conditioned with individual command. The fact that we're dealing with a small hotel type unit allow us to grant a more personalized treatment to each customer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Casa De Sao Mamede reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa De Sao Mamede Hotel Lisbon
- Casa De Sao Mamede Lisbon