“An interesting restaurante in Bairro Alto” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Lisbon, Portugal
“An interesting restaurante in Bairro Alto”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

It is a nice Indian and Italian restaurant with good atmosphere. Young people also go there because it is a budget restaurant. I have a late dinner there after a long walk.
I suggest as an option for a casual dinner before or after walk around in Bairro Alto.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Saint-Petersburg
“Best Indian food so far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We visited on 1st of January, we were not planning to go there but the restaurant we wanted to visit initially was closed and we decided to go to this place. We never regretted it, one of the best meals and definitely best Indian food we've had.

It is actually a strange combination of Indian/Italian food restaurant but I would not go for Italian or salads there (although we didn't try it but I'd suggest to go to an Italian restaurant for Italian food). I suggest sticking strictly to Indian courses at this place and you won’t be disappointed.

Staff is very welcoming and helpful, all the waiters speak good English and one of them turned out to actually speak good Russian as well as he used to be a student in Moscow years ago.

The food is properly served in copperware and with mobile burners; portions are not enormous but just the right size not to overstuff yourself.
The quality of products they use and the quality of cooking is simply superb. All sorts of meat are obviously well marinated prior to cooking and then everything is cooked to perfection, meat and chicken are unbelievably tender and flavorsome and the sauces (gravy) of curry and tikka masala are very rich and nutty in taste, full of spice that you can taste but not hot at the same time. Rice, naans, lassi, raita all were delicious!

This was a meal to remember and now coming back home I miss this restaurant’s food.

If you love Indian cuisine then I can definitely recommend this place as probably the best Indian restaurant in Lisbon (we visited a couple more during our stay in Lisbon and they were nothing compared to this one).

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Really, really awful.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This place looks very inviting, however the service is amongst the worst I've ever received in any restaurant anywhere in the world. I waited more than 90 minutes for my main course to come. I complained multiple times but the waiters didn't seem to care at all. There were other people on tables nearby who looked equally hungry and annoyed. Watching the kitchen I realised food was slow coming out for absolutely everyone. Once arrived the food was pretty bad - perhaps passable for someone who has never tasted Indian food (it could be that Indian recipes have been adapted to suit the Portuguese palate, who knows?) but I've had more authentic tasting Indian food from a jar.

Service was a 0 out of 10. Seriously. Do not go here.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
UK
“Terrible Service Below-par Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This place looked good and we were hungry. Quickly shown to a table, menus came and food and drinks were ordered and the latter delivered with speed. Then....nothing. We had ordered poppadums, starters and main courses. After an hour of waiting and after our complaint, the starters and poppadums arrived. I've eaten in Indian restaurants all over the world and I've never know poppadums take so long. They are usually ready and waiting in the kitchen and take 30 seconds to make. We feared we would have a further hour wait for the food, but it arrived within 25 more minutes after we had complained again. Complaints which appeared to be quite normal judging by the (non) reaction of the staff.

The main courses ranged from barely acceptable to poor The rice arrived cold and was sent back (we noticed they gave it to a nearby table - after one of our party had stuck their finger in to test!). The Vindaloo was spiceless (someone suggested it tasted like a bottled sauce), the Tarka Daal was inauthentic, the Biryani overly-greasy. The Shashlik was enjoyed.

But worst of all is that we were not the only ones who had to wait for an hour or more. The place was full of bored-looking hungry customers, though the table next to us, who arrived half an hour after us, got theirs before us. Additionally, the restaurant seems to have no problem with customers waiting for a table just milling round inches from diners. This has the feel of a restaurant which has got too big too quickly and cannot cope.

I'd avoid. The quality of food isn't worth the hassle and there are alternatives within a few streets.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lisbon, Portugal
“Average food and slow service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were a group of 7 people and were seated in a very small place, quite uncomfortable.
We order indian bread and some indian specialties. We had to order the drinks 3 times because the waitress always forgot some and leave when we were still ordering.The bread took 30 min to arrive and was lacking sauce for everybody. The specialities took 1h30 to arrive! Were so small and so expensive. They were lacking flavour, something so odd for indian food.

I would NOT recomend this restaurant. There are a lot of indian restaurants in Lisbon (and of course, in Bairro Alto) that are so much better than this.
The average price is not 10€, but 15€ or more per person.

• Visited November 2013