“Superb hotel and hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Jau 54, Lisbon 1300-314, Portugal   |
Ranked #11 of 218 hotels in Lisbon
Lisbon, Portugal
“Superb hotel and hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed one night in this marvellous hotel and although I knew it because I had been there in several events, I had never tried its hospitality. The hotel is an old entirely renovated palace and the suite we stayed in was regal: a large living room, a gracious sleeping room well decorated with a large comfortable bed with perfect pillows and linen, a bathroom divided ih 3 compartments full of l'Ocitane toiletries, a closet and a veranda. What more can you ask to celebrate? But the best thing was the kindmess of all the staff, the little gestures that added magic to this special celebration: flowers, champagne, chocolates and even a treatment at the spa were offered to congratulate us on this special date.
Dinner and breakfast were gourmet style, I would recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paulo R, Guest Ambassador at Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear IsabelTM,

We are extremely pleased to read your comment and with the fact you have adored your stay.
We have the privilege of working in a place with 109 years life and we want experiences like yours included in our history. We see that you stayed on a special date and we want to thank you for choosing us, Memorable Moments is what we want offer to our guests. The entire staff are grateful for your kind comments.
You will always be welcome to Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument, even for a lunch or the afternoon tea… and Yes, recommend us to your friends, we appreciate.

Até breve,

751 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I can only highly recommend this hotel. The interieur and the gardens are marvellous, the rooms spacy and beautifully decorated. The service is really excellent, the entire staff is doing everything to make the stay most enjoyable.
unfortunately I didn't have time to try the Spa.
Would choose this hotel again when going to Lisbon another time.
JO

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Paulo R, Guest Ambassador at Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear JUO19,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We will surely share with our staff.
We couldn’t agree more about our gardens, rooms and especially the service of our staff. We enjoy and we offer you the tranquility, comfort, cordiality and the beauty of life.
When you visiting again Lisbon, please come to Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've been fortunate enough to stay in some superb hotels, but this was by far the best. First of all, it is staggeringly gorgeous - every room in the main palace is jaw-dropping. The bedrooms are mostly in the new wing, but they are large, gracious, and well-decorated. The service is superb - every staff member was genuinely friendly and competent without being uncomfortably obsequious. The food was excellent, the spa superb, the grounds lovely - the only hard part was leaving.

Dear Shirah11,

Wow!! You are the best! Thank you very much for the five star rating. All the staff adore your review.
Thank you again for sharing your candid feedback on Trip Advisor.
You will always be welcome to Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument.

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed here for three nights in October and was blown away by the friendly professional service from everybody I met and the clean comfortable room. This is the standard that other so called '5 star' establishments often fail to meet. A stone's throw from the conference centre too!

Dear dochogan,
Thank you for visiting Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument and for taking time to post your review, which highly appreciated. We were all happy to learn that the hotel service and facilities met your expectations and that you enjoyed the hotel atmosphere and staff courtesy the most.
We have high standards service and we work every days with the same passion to provide memorable moments to our guests.
Thank you again for your words and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We recently stayed 6 nights at this beautiful hotel. It exceeded all expectations I thoroughly
recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in luxurious surroundings with the most
attentive polite staff I have ever met. Our superior garden view room with lovely, beautiful
view over the tropical garden, and very quiet. The spa facilities were excellent and very
clean. Obviously for a 5 star establishment one would expect the best and we certainly felt
we were in a 5 star hotel. The bar staff were extremely attentive and the reception staff
were excellent. This is a Palace with two newer wings of accommodation either side of
the Palace and it has been very tastefully achieved. I understand this is one of the best
hotels in Lisbon with celebrities and politicans using this hotel often. The staff work hard to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The breakfasts were excellent and one never felt rushed
the times from 6.30pm-10.30pm and if there was anything particular you wanted you only had to ask. The breakfast room and lounges are absolutely beautiful with antiques and precious paintings on view. Do not miss this place it is a gem. Although slightly outside the city a shuttle bus from the hotel drives to the centre of the city about 4 times a day,free of charge. A great place for that special occasion.

Room Tip: First floor would be a good location with views of the gardens and suites are also on the first floo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Paulo R, Guest Ambassador at Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear meeting_place67592,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback, we will surely share with our staff. We couldn't agree more about our garden, SPA, rooms and above all the cleaning and the staff.
We are glad you had a great time.
Please come back soon.

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a fantastic hotel for business meetings and conferences, and a wonderful place to stay. Most of the bedrooms are in separate, modern buildings, connected by walkways to the main building, so it's a nice combination of gorgeous old public spaces and comfortable, modern accommodations. (That said, I got a chance to see a few of the big suites in the main building because other attendees were staying there - and they were over-the-top fantastic!!!!)

I was fortunate enough to get a room with a private patio close to the lovely pool, spa and workout facility, and loved it. The room itself was very nice: a good size, recently updated, with a comfortable bed, nice linens, and good shower. The in-room wifi was free and lighting-fast.

Customer service was extremely good at check in, at the valet desk, at the hotel bar, and at the conference facilities. Representatives frequently asked whether I was enjoying the stay, and not just as a rote thing to say - they seemed to really care whether the guests were comfortable.

The conference facilities across the street (at the "Stables") were quite good - the meetings ran smoothly from a technology standpoint, and the conference food was pretty good for a hundred person-plus banquet. The only quibble I have is that the service for the meals was sometimes a bit slow.

The hotel itself was not in the center of town, as other reviewers have noted - it was a fairly easy cab ride away, though. I might not recommend it to someone who wants to be in the middle of things, but it is perfect as a quiet refuge away from the center of Lisbon, and it is a perfect place to hold a conference because there are no immediate temptations nearby.

Dear Awdub,

It was very nice to read your comment. Thank you very much for your candid words.
All the staff appreciates your feedback.
We have 21 meeting rooms available and that can be converted on set up that the guests prefer. The Old Stables allow us to have a building to receive all kinds of events.
We apologize if at any time the service speed was not expected.

Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This beautiful place is where we chose to hold our intimate wedding. My review will be focused mainly on the services provided for our wedding.

For an intimate wedding with around 24 people (including the bride and the groom and the photographer), this place is perfect. We booked the chapel for our civil ceremony, and then one of the beautiful salons for cocktail, and then the dinning room for our wedding dinner.

Initially, a staff has shown us different areas of the hotel during our first visit. He was friendly and gave us a few useful suggestions, since we had no idea how to plan our wedding.
Then we proceeded to contact the event planner through e-mail and phone, but we were actually not very satisfied, as we had to contact her a few times and she didn't seem to care about us. She promised to send an e-mail with information before some given time, but then she failed to do it a few times, and then she'd say that there were important things to take care of and was busy. Funny is, before we could finally confirm our reservation for our wedding, she even went on holidays and didn't say anything to us! I've found it quite insulting, and was almost ready to give this hotel up. But then, we were contacted by another event planner soon. He was more caring, and we could finally advance with the reservations and the details.
For the past few months, we have exchanged a few e-mails to discuss about the options and the details. He was caring, although he seemed to forget about what we wanted a few times (like which salon we wanted and a few other details).

There was a test dinner for us, to see if we will like the dinner menu for our wedding. The dinner was really great, as expected of an hotel of such level. We actually didn't know about the dress code, so we went there with jeans and sneakers, but we didn't feel judged or anything, as the staff was friendly and caring.

At the wedding day, me and my mother were preparing ourselves with our hair and makeup professionals in the suite in which me and my husband stayed for the night. The suit was nice, and we've got to take many nice photos with our photographer during our preparation (can't wait for the photos)!

After our ceremony, we've got our petals and rice rain right outside the chapel. We took group photos, and then the event planner helped us guide the guests to the cocktail salon, while me and my husband proceeded to take some more photos around this beautiful hotel. This hotel is just amazingly beautiful, a great place for a romantic, fairytale kind of wedding!

After taking some photos, we went to the cocktail room too. The guests were enjoying the cocktail food, which was nice. After a while, we've proceeded to the champagne and cake (we wanted it at the cocktail time since after dinner would be too late for some guests). And here is something that actually shocked me - the cake was not really what I've asked for! The cake I've actually asked them to make was a two level one, with each level being a heart shape, with pink color and white cream decoration. They made the cake with the right form, but the colors were exchanged. Also, I've told them that it's ok to change some of the cream decorations to simpler ones (they have said that the ones on the cake I've asked for was a bit too complex), but then they've proceeded to make some ocean star looking flowers around the lowest level, which I didn't find them very matching nor pretty. But the cake was still acceptable, and it's not a big deal to worry too much about it.
After a while, we have proceeded to the dinning room. It was the perfect place for an intimate but grand dinner. We have delayed the dinner for almost an hour before proceeding to the dinning room. I think that as a result of this delay, our soup food came in a bit cold. The soup came in warm if not already cold, which affected the taste of it. And then, the service was also a bit slow, with long time of waiting between the dishes. Also, the dishes' quality was also slightly inferior to the ones we've tried during the test dinner, which was slightly a disappointment. I've asked a replacement plate for one of my mother's dishes, since she can't eat beef, but it was almost forgotten and we had to remind the staff for that.
They have apologized for some of the delays, and they also asked for me and my husband's opinions. We've told them about this, and they were nice and took our opinions into consideration. Later, they also told us that we didn't have to pay for the extra hours, maybe to make up for this.

In the end, the wedding went very well, and the suite room for me and my husband was nice and comfortable. It was a very special and memorable day, and Pestana Palace Hotel, aside of a few details of the service (but they were still friendly and caring), was the perfect place for our wedding. I can't wait for the photos of our photographer, they must be awesome, since they are taken in such a superbly beautiful place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MonicaValverde,

First of all thank you for choosing Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument for a day so special.
We take this opportunity to wish you all the best. We take all comments into consideration and there is no exception. We work every day with the same commitment and with the intention of providing welfare to our guests and we apologize for any inconvenience that may have been.
We are sure that all colleagues involved gave their best contribution, however we will pass your feedback to the Unit Manager to review what has happened so it doesn’t happen again.
Please accept our apologies.

Atentamente,