“Stylish and very affordable” 4 of 5 stars

Brown's Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Dos Sapateiros 69-79, Lisbon 1100579, Portugal   |
Ranked #57 of 216 Hotels in Lisbon
South Wales, UK
“Stylish and very affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

When my husband said he'd like us to stay in Lisbon in a boutique hotel that wasn't up a hill I thought I would have a struggle to find something that met the bill. Then I came across Brown's. It was stylish, in a modern urban and, well, brown sort of way, and not only not up a hill, but very central with bus, metro and tram stops within a couple of minutes walk as well as plenty of restaurants.

Our medium room was large enough, though the wide-but-thin bathroom was a bit cramped. Great shower though. Having the small kitchen area was excellent for breakfast, and keeping the vinho verde chilled, though for us a toaster would have been more use than the electric rings. The in-room computer with free wifi was also a great benefit. The bed was comfortable, but the lighting in the room wasn't quite right. The ceiling lights over the bed were rather bright and hot, and there was no light in the table area. The lighting in the kitchen bit was fine as task lighting but didn't extend beyond that area. An enormous anglepoise which could potentially have been directed anywhere didn't have a bulb, and we never remembered to ask about it.

For what we got, the price was excellent - one of the best value hotels we have ever stayed in.

We'd recommend the restaurant O Bacalhoeiro just up the road - simple and basic, but superb fish, perfectly cooked.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Started off in their smallest room which not only had the distinction of being tiny, but also smelling like mildew. So bad in fact, that we were moved from that room to a medium sized room on a different floor. That room was decent. Thank you to the nighttime reception person who moved us there. Free wifi is a plus. Had another reception person who was fairly rude. Location was good - able to get around the city fairly easily.

Room Tip: Small room are small. Really small. go with a medium at least
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My partner and I absolutely loved staying at Browns Downtown. It's right in the city center and so central to everything like the Barrio Alto, a great are for dinner and drinks. Our room was modern, chic, immaculately clean and technologically stocked with a MAC, iPod speakers and possibly the best hotel shower I've ever experienced. The only negative I'd say was that the room was a bit small. There was a great lounge area in reception which had a wonderful vibe with people openly hanging out drinking wine or working on laptops. Every single morning we went for breakfast at the Browns Downtown Coffee shop which is just nearby, the fresh orange juice and muffins were amazing. This was a wonderful hotel I would highly recommend staying at!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Fabulous location! Absolutely loved the Mac in the room to access the internet and email, since traveling abroad, I hadn't in 10 days! The staff was amazing and so helpful. Wonder recommendations. If, and hopefully when, I return to this beautiful city, I will definitely being staying at Brown's Downtown!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
NI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Brown's Downtown is a good place in a good spot in the centre of Lisbon.

The good:
Nice room.
Very helpful and friendly reception staff.
Macs in every room and free wifi throughout the hotel.
Good location.

The not so good:
No phone in the room.
Hot and cold taps werent' marked. It was a rainfall shower so until you worked out which was which you either ended up having to put your hand/arm through boiling hot or freezing cold water to turn on the other tap.
The bathroom was a bit small. The shower door couldn't be opened fully as the sink got in the way.
My room had a bit of a leaky shower as the seal around the door wasn't any good.
Wooden floors which I found made the place a bit noisy as people went up and down the hall and walked about their rooms.
The keys - great, real keys, but when you go into the room you need to lock the door using your key, and the plastic thing to turn on the lights is attached to it! Each time I was going up to my room I separated the keys from this so I wouldn't be trying to lock the door in the dark.
There was no double glazing so it was a bit noisy with people going by at night.
The bed was 2 pushed together and you could feel the join in the middle of the bed.

The not so goods are minor things really for what I paid the place was great!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Bollington - England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

A friendly bunch, but sadly lacking what I call the "Mandarin experience". They probbaly have no idea what that expression means.
I stayed with them in Dec and was almost ready to post a favourable post giving them 5 stars for trying and say 3 stars for results.
On checking out I informed that my room had not been cleaned the previous day, but as I had returned at 10 pm I just fell into bed, and accepted the oversight. I am pretty easy going chap.
Unfortunately I left my phone charger in the room, so phoned from Madrid to ask for it to be posted to my home.
I will not bore you with the pages and pages of emails that have gone between us for the last 6 weeks. They insisted I send them the cost of postage ( prob max Euros 3.00) in advance and then they would send it. I suggested that as my room was not cleaned - might be a nice gesture to say OK we send it free of charge. NO they said - YOU MUST PAY FIRST!. We are sorry about the room not cleaned and offer you a 5% discount of a one night stay next time.
That is not how to deal with some one who has stayed in hotels in 82 countries ! Big mistake
I got a customer in Lisbon to go and pick up the charger and post it to me.

Forgot to say at one point they asked me to send a picture of the charger !! How can I do that when its in Lisbon.

Shame really - I like the hotel and will probably give them another chance, but they need to learn what I mean by the " MANDARIN EXPERIENCE " and put it into practice, then they will become one of the best hotels in Lisboa, I wish them luck!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely adore this hotel. The lobby is very eclectically designed. Quirky and modern.

My only con was that Shower space was small and designed in an odd way which made the water drip into the bathroom area.

Huge pros:
-Room was clean and was very modern and stylishly designed
-There was a flat screen computer provided in the room
-Location was excellent. Smack in the center of the city and walking distance to Santa Justa elevator and other attractions
-Front desk service was what made the experience excellent. All of different staff were very helpful but one tall guy with curly hair was exceptional. Every one of his dinner recommendations was excellent and he would provide a lot of suggestions on sights as well. He seemed very proud of Lisbon and eager to share his knowledge

Definitely stay here when you are in Lisbon!

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Brown's Downtown? Share your experiences!