“Best Restaurant in Portugal!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa da India

Casa da India
Rua do Loreto 49, Lisbon, Portugal (Encarnação)
+351 213 423 661
Improve this listing
Ranked #283 of 2,363 Restaurants in Lisbon
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Encarnação
Alaska
“Best Restaurant in Portugal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Not only is this the best restaurant in Lisbon, but it is probably the cheapest, too. Not well know to tourists, it is quite popular with the locals. I highly recommend the house special, (the shrimp) that comes on large plates, (the shrimp comes with a separate large plate filled with french fries.

When we arrived, there was a slight delay waiting for a table, but five minutes after ordering, our food arrived.

I fed four people, (four large plates of shrimp, a chicken dinner, desert and drinks) for 44€!

I don't know why the restaurant lists "India" in it's name since I really did not see any Indian dishes on the menu.

This restaurant has cheap prices, great food and helpful English speaking staff. Top notch!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Medellin, Colombia
“I love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I lived a few blocks away from this restaurant for a few months. I went there a few times a week.

It has a diner feel, with good food. It's not exquisite food (go two blocks down to the sushi place for that), but good food.

My standby was the secretos de porco (the secret is they are super tasty), with a Sagres and tremoços (Trem-oh-sh-ohz).

If you are solo, it's a great place as you can sit at the bar and don't have to have the usual extra-solo feeling of sitting alone at a table (although when it's packed, you may end up sitting with a stranger if you are at a table). It gets very busy at times during the evening.

The staff is always busy but really hop to when you need something. I often went here to study Portuguese in the afternoons and they even helped me with my homework when they had time. The staff seemed all-business at first, but when I left Lisbon they all said goodbye to me like I was family.

I miss this place.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“DELICIOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We were told to go here by our local tour guides so thought we would check it out. Turned out that they were eating there as well along with many other locals. The chicken was truly trulyyyy delicious! And the rice on the side was so great as well!

Did I mention the price was extremely cheap. A friend and I shared a "half portion" and there was still some chicken left and I'm pretty sure we paid about 8 euro total (4 each) with our drinks and everything.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville, Virginia
“A great place for good value and lots of atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I just had dinner at Casa da India, where I very much enjoyed my grilled swordfish. This is standard mom & pop fare done well, at very reasonable prices. I had my swordfish (with potatoes and veggies), bread, sparking water, dessert and coffee for €12.50. My coconut tart was forgettable, buy my friend had the "Doce da casa" and it was very good. Crowded, lively, and atmospheric local setting that will help you understand why people love Lisbon.

Incidentally, the restaurant is named for the institution that the Portuguese crown founded during the early sixteenth century to regulate trade with the Indies. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_da_Índia

• Visited December 2012
Dublin 8
“Yummy grilled chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Excellent grilled chicken for the main with Gambas for a starter and great beer for dessert. Actually the house wine is really good also. The name looks a little confusing but its in praise of Vasco De Gama's route to India. Gets a little full for lunch but it's well worth the squeeze, anyway the crowd is mostly local which is always a good sign.

• Visited February 2012