“Relaxing hotel with quirky theme” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel da Estrela

You added Hotel da Estrela to your Saves list
Hotel da Estrela
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Rua Saraiva de Carvalho, 35, Lisbon 1250-242, Portugal   |
Ranked #123 of 216 Hotels in Lisbon
London
“Relaxing hotel with quirky theme”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We had a lovely stay in this hotel over a long weekend. We were very lucky to be upgraded into a suite, which is always nice to start off with.

A quiet area of Lisbon, close to a Metro station.

Staff very friendly, clean and spacious room. Nice breakfast and dinner in the restaurant too.

Enjoyed the school theme as well. All in all a very nice small hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed here on a business trip to Lisbon. The rooms were very modern and comfortable. The front desk was extremely helpful in providing me with directions to my various business meetings. They always seemed to have time for me and I very much appreciated that.

After having lived in Lisbon over 20 years ago and having walked the same streets for almost two years. It was nice to see that the city had retained much of its history and charm.

If you want to have an authentic experience in Lisbon, versus the traditional touristy approach this hotel will place you right in the middle of historic Lisbon. Although many of the main tourist attractions are not within easy walking distance, this will be a perfect location for anyone looking to have a more quiet experience away from the hustle and bustle. Regardless, it is a short taxi ride or transit ride to the major tourist centers.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone needing a place to stay for a few nights in Lisbon.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Brasil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My experience was okay.
But, I did have some trouble with the bathroom.
At my first room, it was odd: two darkened glass areas (one with the shower and the others e with the toilet). At the first sight it look interesting but it wasn't functional at all. The water from the shower wet all the carpet's room and when I called the reception they said that yes, they did have a watering problem, I would have to sleep with the wet carpet (it wouldn't get dry), and there was no one who could bring me towel to help. So it was nasty to walk in your room listening and feeling the water (ploft ploft). I asked for another room, which wasn't available at the same day.The staff did manage to find me another one at the day after. What I don't understand is that if they knew about the problem why did they put guest there? To make money not thinking about comfort and satisfaction?
And, wifi service wasn't easy: their networking just doesn't work with apple products. Bizarre! They didn't know why, but it was true! Oh, and you only would get wifi if they have the cable available. (Two in total for the whole hotel!!)
Anyway, the staff were polite and helpful but I am not sure if I would stay there again. Maybe yes but it wouldn't be my first option

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a "normal" bathroom, not the one with shower and toilet IN the room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I'm pretty happy with my experience at Estrela. It is very easy to get to from the airport and is located in a good neighbourhood (30 minute downhill walk to the main center, but a lot of nice shops and views along the way). While it is definitely removed from the main tourist area, it is close to local hang outs. Of which, The Market (good food and excellent vibe) and Stop do Bairro are two great places-the food at Stop was awesome (smokers are allowed in the restau so not for all). The staff at the hotel couldn't be more helpful...printing us maps, offering solid recommendations, making reservations for us etc. The rooms are a little different...perhaps just mine, but the glass partitions for the shower and toilet makes things a little interesting for a couple - picture one large room with two darkened glass areas, one with the shower and the other with the toilet. Breakfast on Saturday was good when eggs and pastries were on offer. Sunday was a different story and left a lot to be desired. No eggs, no pastries and half the fruit. Overall excellent experience in Lisbon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Retford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I think, I stayed here at the same time as Mrs-October! And I, of course, have a different experience. Although this Hotel has a school theme (see website) it has a most child unfriendly attitude. Massive, Massive, big box ticked!!

No, really! great for business people, couples or independent travellers (not a RUGRAT to be seen) YIPPEE!
Room massive, bed awesome (you won't find better) bathroom epic!! Oh dear!.... one or two problems!...You can't lie in bed and switch lights on/off...unless you have arms of minimum 2m!

Shower...awesome...BUT...there is a towel rack??????? in the shower that protrudes 20cm from the wall and 1.82 m from the floor...now come on!... behave! I... don't take a measure in the shower!..no really I DON'T!! I'm just thinking of you tall, American, Dutch, German friends that might lose an eye or tooth whilst thrashing about in the shower!!....

Ah! Hem!... swiftly on!...I found the Hotel clean, safe, honest, and engaging. The last time I was in Lisbon I stayed at LX Boutique another similar and fabulous Hotel.

I think, in any business whether you like it or not, the staff and people make the difference, and for that reason I will give this hotel maximum points!!...

I also ate in the en-site restaurant EL CANTINA (see review)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Newbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed three nights in November for business, but I must say I am not likely to stay here again. The hotel building is originally an old palace, but none of this remains - it has been decorated in very modern fashion, but using poor quality materials, which show. For example the desk chair looked worn and the cream fabric was full of stains, although I don't think the hotel is very old.
The bathroom was large and clean, but as many reviewers have pointed out, the architect must have completely overlooked what the bathtub will be like when you shower in it - the shower head was fixed near the edge of he wall, instead of over in the corner, and since there was no shower curtain (probably for misguided aesthetic reasons), the water pooled on the edge of the bath and then flooded the floor completely.
The bathtub surround looked to be made from cheap material.
The whole room had a slightly musty, mouldy smell.
I found the whole school theme a bit silly and odd.

I had dinner in the restaurant one night and the food was pretty nice (I had ox cheek with potato dauphinoise and fruit salad for dessert), but the service was painfully slow. After having been shown to my table I had to ask for a menu and the bread basket took forever to appear. And this while three members of staff where stood waiting and looking out over the few tables with guests. The hotel website does say that they sometimes employ students from the nearby hotel school, so I suppose they didn't really know what to do....

On a positive note the bed was very, very comfortable and both the bed and the sheets and bedding were of high quality.
I also found the reception staff very nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We booked this hotel not really knowing much about the different areas of Lisbon and were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get around the city from here. If you don't mind walking then you can get to most central places within about half an hour. However, if you're not able or are felling a bit lazy or need to go further afield, Rato subway station is only 5 mins away.
The hotel itself is quite small (20 or so rooms) and all the staff are really helpful and friendly. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant one evening and the breakfast buffet, while simple is quite adequate. It is set in a nice, quiet neighbourhood and there is a little shop opposite where you can buy water etc.
The rooms are a good size as is the bathroom but it is here that we found our only complaint (and the reason we didn't give 5 stars). The bathroom was an odd shape and the way they had placed the bath/shower meant it was not the easiest to wash your hair without bending into an odd shape. Also there was no screen/curtain so the floor of the bathroom ended up getting soaked every time we took a shower.
That said, we would still recommend this hotel to anyone as the pluses far outweighed the one minus.
Oh and say hi to the resident duck in the garden and see if you can make him jump for his bread, just mind your fingers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel da Estrela? Share your experiences!