“Beautiful hotel with fantastic service” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Aerobus Transfer
Ranked #1 of 217 Hotels in Lisbon
nuneaton
“Beautiful hotel with fantastic service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We have just returned from a 4 day break at the hotel and I really can not fault it in any way. The hotel is beautiful with lots of character, it feels like you are in an episode of Poirot especially when enjoying the complimentary port in the drawing room!
We stayed in a superior room which was stunning and huge! The air conditioning was fantastic after returning from a hot day of sight seeing (and very quiet at night!). We never heard any noise from any other rooms whilst staying in fact it is one of the quietest hotels at night time that I've stayed in.
There was a large range of delicious food provided for breakfast including meat, cheese, cereal, fruit, pastries, yoghurts and full English. The staff were all very friendly and extremely helpful any request we had was dealt with in a prompt and friendly manner.
The location of the hotel is great it's far enough away from the lively centre to be peaceful but only a 5-10min stroll to get to the main hub of restaurants etc. There are several bistros and restaurants closer but I can't comment on quality as we never visited them. Can highly recommend the banana bar kiosks for quick drinks on the way home at night though as they often have cheaper drinks and different djs playing nightly. I highly recommend this delightful hotel if you are looking for a fantastic and luxurious break!

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A small hotel with helpful staff, in a great location. The centre of Lisbon is within 10 minutes walking distance but the metro stop is two minutes away. The room was large considering the location and the bathroom was clean and well stocked. There is a lounge downstairs where they serve port in the afternoons. Great value hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
north wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed at the Britania for four nights with my partner last week.
I agree with all that everyone else has written, the hotel is lovely, quiet, rooms are spacious, (although the view from our room was onto an office block), bathroom was large and shampoos, soaps etc were replenished regularly.Tea and coffee making facilities available, which is quite difficult to find in European hotels. Beds very comfortable/ air conditioning surprisingly quiet and room was spotlessly clean.
What sets the hotel apart from others are the staff who are truly wonderful. Marcus was always smiling and willing to help us with queries we had. Receptionists were informative and polite. Sandros was extremely helpful and we enjoyed his little chats with us in the evenings when we were sipping our ports. Breakfasts were ample and catered for all tastes and there was a very nice lady who served us with a smile each day.
We loved the ambience that the hotel manages to create. Free port and pastries was greatly appreciated after sightseeing. The location was fine for us as we walked to the metro which is very close and taxis are very cheap. Well done Britania Hotel.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We spent only one night at this lovely hotel (and two nights a week later at its sister hotel, Heritage Avenida Liberdade) and were sorry we couldn't have stayed longer. From the charming and helpful front desk staff to the period decor, the whole experience was restful, pleasant, and luxurious. The sheets were so comfy, and the curtains made the room really dark at night. Of the three hotels we stayed in while in Portugal, this one had the best breakfast (the croissants were especially good), but I'm not sure that breakfast is the country's most interesting meal. There was certainly plenty to choose from: breads, cheeses, eggs, cereals, fruit, and so forth. The location, while not on a scenic street, is only a block from Avenida Liberdade and very central to the historic parts of Lisbon -- an easy if hilly walk to the main squares and to the Bairro Alto, Alfama, and Chiado districts. We would definitely stay here again. Recommended.

Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was my fourth trip to Lisbon and the Britania is, by far, the best hotel that I've stayed in in that city. The bedrooms and bathrooms are large and very comfortable with some of the trimmings, dressing gowns and slippers, of a five star hotel. I read someone's comments that the walls are thin and the air conditioning noisy which is the complete opposite of my experience. I suffered very little internal or external noise during my stay (and I sleep with the windows open) and the air conditioning was the quietest and most effective that I've come across in over 1200 room nights!
I received complimentary breakfasts as part of my room rate and, while not exceptional, there was a good selection and the very pleasant dining room staff were always prepared to make me fresh eggs. Incredibly, they'll happily serve breakfast up until midday! Speaking of the staff, what a nice group of people; from the front desk to the room cleaners I was always made to feel welcome and special. I do have to single out Marco, one of the concierges, who was helpfulness personified.
Rua Rodrigues Sampaio is not the nicest looking street in the city but it's generally quiet and only about 50 metres from Avenida Liberdade and the metro station there and, from my perspective, that makes it just about ideally situated.
I'm not a huge fan of the art deco style, it's simply not to my taste, but the only reason that I won't be staying at this wonderful boutique hotel the next time that I'm in Lisbon is because there are four other hotels in the Heritage group in the city and I'd love to try them all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel.has it all.Position,service,decor,good breakfast and spotless rooms.The art deco styled hotel has been tastefully decorated in keeping with the building it's great.If one of you is over 55 you can get the golden oldies deal which includes free breakfast.We found the location central to all transport and restaurants and shops.The price makes it excellant value and it's no surprise that it rates so highlyon trip advisor.
Greg Cronan.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed here for the first night of our holiday and then a couple of nights later as part of a week spent in Portugal combining city and beach.
The hotel is quirky and there are lots of period details, very Poirot-esq feel to it. Rooms and bathrooms were very generous size and it did feel like a luxury hotel (which you would expect for the stars and price!). However, the walls are thin and you could hear normal conversations from the rooms above - woke me at 5.30am one day, so not appreciated! Air-con in the room made a noise but didn't seem to cool very well.
Reception staff were just average - I certainly didn't see this amazingly friendly service which others have mentioned.
Also, when we came back after a day sight seeing at 3.30pm our room had not yet been cleaned. When I phoned reception to tell them they said it was because they were fully booked and that sometimes rooms didn't get done until 4.30pm. Not good enough in my opinion for a hotel of this quality.
Breakfast was excellent, very high quality products and good choice.
Overall, I would stay that it didn't live up to the rave reviews here and if I were to visit Lisbon again I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Britania Hotel? Share your experiences!